expensive liquid soap

single serving noodle or porridge pots

canned prunes
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

26 Comments
I've seen bar's of soap, skimmed milk, almond milk, alot of low fat stuff
Every meat & chicken was gone from the shelves 2 days ago but the fresh fish wasn't touched.

So the healthiest food was left on the shelves.

Then the following day all the fish was gone too. I reckon people have been buying chest freezers from currys.
Wait until the second wave comes. This is nothing.
What if this had happened during the post Brexit chaos expected at the ports? Civil war almost I'd bet.
Oh almost forgot. Twelve packs of frozen sprouts. No one wants them if your self isolating.
markjean19/03/2020 04:41

Oh almost forgot. Twelve packs of frozen sprouts. No one wants them if …Oh almost forgot. Twelve packs of frozen sprouts. No one wants them if your self isolating.

What did everyone miss the advice? Frozen Brussels sprout suppositories help reduce toilet roll reliance.
No meat on the shelves apart from a plentiful supply of venison sausage.
Parsnips and okra yesterday. For the life of me I can't think how you could make that into a meal.
psychobitchfromhell19/03/2020 07:01

Parsnips and okra yesterday. For the life of me I can't think how you …Parsnips and okra yesterday. For the life of me I can't think how you could make that into a meal.

Make a gumbo, one of my go to recipe
Edited by: "airfix" 19th Mar
airfix19/03/2020 08:09

Make a gumbo, one of my go to recipe

I didn't buy either. Fortunately I have enough in the freezer. Parsnips were they only thing that made me sick when I was pregnant. Not really liked them since
Dannyrobbo19/03/2020 06:41

No meat on the shelves apart from a plentiful supply of venison sausage.

God forbid we eat anything other than fresh Pork, Cow and Chicken, my local iceland had a entire freezer full of Chicken such as Legs, Wings, Strips, etc , beef burgers, pizza, etc when i went in, didn't get any since i dont have a big freezer so most goes into fridge

Also water, why stockpile that, Water Supply isnt going to disappear, nor is Salt.. Nor fish weve got a whole ocean full..oh wait ignore fish since we dont own our waters, EU does, its their fish apparently
Screw csrrying home dozens of litrrs of water ill use tap, i only would carry home bottles if its something that doesnt come out my tap such as Fanta, Coca Cola, etc

funny thing, yesterday whilst in Iceland i heard a mother moaning about there being no potatoes sounded like she wss on the verge of tears, scarint her kid saying we cant make chips now when they could literally buy frozen chips im sure icelsnd had enough i didnt check since i dont exactly live of Chips, Fish Fingers and Heinz Ketchup
Iceland isnt exactly where ill go to fresh produce didnt know they even sold any lol
Edited by: "Norseg" 19th Mar
Visited 2 Tesco and Sainsbury yesterday.

Some stores had close to zero cauliflower and broccoli, the next store having loads.
No potatoes in any (well, Sainsbury had a box of loose new potatoes that was 20% full)
Mushrooms don't seem to be in too short supply and neither do peppers.
Citrus fruits seem fine, as do apples, nuts and dates.

Loads of ready meals in the freezers, those shaped Birds eye chicken things, and tonnes of ice cream related products.

One Tesco had been cleared of every frozen fish product, yet Sainsbury had loads.

Most Indian sauces and Mexican stuff seemed untouched, with only 3 packs of some black pasta on the empty shelves in Sainsbury. Not too bad Uncle Bens microwave rice wise.

Salt, I only use 1 container every few years, so no loss there, although tonnes of that along with herbs and spices, pickles and other condiments.

No shortage of soft drinks and alcohol.

Vegan food seems plentiful. Can't think why
Loads of soya, almond, nut milks but no long life cows milk.

Tonnes of cat food about should things really hit the fan

Yeast and most strong flour for bread baking seems to have vanished, with some self-raising / plain still about.
Edited by: "xenole" 19th Mar
CaptainSpaulding19/03/2020 03:56

Yes I agree. All the food in stores at the moment was ordered and manufactured before the ramping up of restrictions.

Well accoring to people in the know, the shelves will soon be stocked to capacity with production going through the roof.
I'm expecting shortages should things drag on.

Frozen foods are generally produced en-masse and sit in bulk freezers for weeks / months/ years until required.
A lot of fresher foods are only produced a day or two beforehand due to reduced shelf lives.

If people aren't working in factories due to illness / self-isolation / lockdown to produce the goods, raw materials aren't coming in, and deliveries aren't being made, a lot of everyday things will start running out.
Same applies to abroad. If reductions are made in say Dominican Republic banana picking, Florida / Californian orange picking etc., (plus any freight), then these might become rare commodities.

[quote]SalfordCityRed19/03/2020 12:44Well accoring to people in the know, the shelves will soon be stocked to capacity with production going through the roof.[/quote]

Don't believe that for a minute. It's just trying to get people to slow down their purchases, and from what's happening at present, if you're not in the store 5 minutes after opening, regardless of how much shelf stacking is going on, you're not getting the product. So why take a chance that it "might" be available next week?

It's creating a vicious circle where you are forced to grab what you can else you get nothing.

If supermarkets randomly stocked shelves throughout the day, then people hitting the store at opening time wouldn't be able to take all the toilet rolls etc. Short of staying in store from 8am-10pm, there wouldn't be any way they could know for sure when to grab the booty so to speak (short of insider knowledge of course).
At least that way, someone working could have a chance of going at 5pm after work and get something rather than seeing nothing but empty shelves day after day.
Edited by: "xenole" 19th Mar
xenole19/03/2020 12:44

I'm expecting shortages should things drag on.Frozen foods are generally …I'm expecting shortages should things drag on.Frozen foods are generally produced en-masse and sit in bulk freezers for weeks / months/ years until required.A lot of fresher foods are only produced a day or two beforehand due to reduced shelf lives.If people aren't working in factories due to illness / self-isolation / lockdown to produce the goods, raw materials aren't coming in, and deliveries aren't being made, a lot of everyday things will start running out.Same applies to abroad. If reductions are made in say Dominican Republic banana picking, Florida / Californian orange picking etc., (plus any freight), then these might become rare commodities.[quote]SalfordCityRed19/03/2020 12:44Well accoring to people in the know, the shelves will soon be stocked to capacity with production going through the roof.[/quote]Don't believe that for a minute. It's just trying to get people to slow down their purchases, and from what's happening at present, if you're not in the store 5 minutes after opening, regardless of how much shelf stacking is going on, you're not getting the product. So why take a chance that it "might" be available next week?It's creating a vicious circle where you are forced to grab what you can else you get nothing.If supermarkets randomly stocked shelves throughout the day, then people hitting the store at opening time wouldn't be able to take all the toilet rolls etc. Short of staying in store from 8am-10pm, there wouldn't be any way they could know for sure when to grab the booty so to speak (short of insider knowledge of course). At least that way, someone working could have a chance of going at 5pm after work and get something rather than seeing nothing but empty shelves day after day.

The food service industry ie hotels, restaurants, pubs, school meals etc will normally consume a vast amount of food. With them shut down that food has to go somewhere so will end up being diverted to supermarkets. I don't know how much it will help but it will help.

There's also only so much people can physically stockpile, hopefully once people's cupboards and freezers are full the panic buying will calm down. Kinda wish the government would just go ahead with the lockdown so people get it out of their system once and for all and realise they will still be allowed out to go to the supermarket.
Easter Eggs
Tesco no potatoes no tomatoes ,but aisles stacked with easter eggs!
Morrisons Thai Jasmine Microwave Rice was fully stocked and they had quite a few packets of their Golden Vegetable rice too, on an otherwise empty shelving unit.

Plenty of all varieties of Uncle Ben's microwave rice on the next set of shelves though.Looks like we've got skinflint hoarder's around here, too tight to pay £1.67 a packet.

Plenty of fresh fish and seafood.

Great challenge for ready steady cook, prepare a delicious meal from the ingredients no one wants.
Edited by: "melted" 19th Mar
xenole19/03/2020 12:10

Yeast and most strong flour for bread baking seems to have vanished, with …Yeast and most strong flour for bread baking seems to have vanished, with some self-raising / plain still about.

There was plenty of flour on the shelves in my morrisons today, but none in actual bags

The second wave is coffins.
In a week to fortnight, the stuffed storage space will be unable to take more. Then there will be offers to lure customers to buy more.
In Spain most things are back on the shelves and in stock, including toilet paper.

There are restrictions on the amount you can buy, but the shelves are not empty.
Poundland WW Tom Soup! LOL
This made me laugh today. This is the larger/cider aisle.
40149281-NSHaF.jpgThe only ones left
40149281-kdBpn.jpg
Got last can of pineapple cos the label was facing backwards LOL

Still the Broccoli and Stilton cup soup remains on the empty aisle LOL LOL
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants