furlough question

Posted 25th May
Hi there

i am currently on furlough but have been told i will be made redundant at the end of the scheme.

if i get a new job during this time? my employer said i will receive payment from them until the end of the scheme.

do i still get the money from the furlough scheme even when ive got a new job??
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
nadhaw25/05/2020 06:58

The whole furlough things means that your employer promises that at the …The whole furlough things means that your employer promises that at the end you will get your job back. If you will be made redundant they're not entitled to that furlough money back. Not your problem but your companies so look for a new job and take it before they realise that

Where did you make that up from?.
I wouldn’t worry if your getting made redundant, just take the new job. Unless your due redundancy then tell the new job you can’t start till you worked your notice and give them the date. Personally I would just grab the new job..
23 Comments
example
furlough pay till may 31st
new job started may 28th
would i still get the money from the 28-31st.

(and it doesn't conflict with my contract of work)
I wouldn’t worry if your getting made redundant, just take the new job. Unless your due redundancy then tell the new job you can’t start till you worked your notice and give them the date. Personally I would just grab the new job..
The whole furlough things means that your employer promises that at the end you will get your job back. If you will be made redundant they're not entitled to that furlough money back. Not your problem but your companies so look for a new job and take it before they realise that

The whole furlough things means that your employer promises that at the …The whole furlough things means that your employer promises that at the end you will get your job back. If you will be made redundant they're not entitled to that furlough money back. Not your problem but your companies so look for a new job and take it before they realise that

Have you got a link where it says firms won’t get the furlough money if your laid of at the end if the firm makes cut backs.. I read it differently, as some firms won’t survive..

Where did you make that up from?.
Take the new job, there is nothing that says you can’t take another job whilst furloughed according to the government. Most companies however have amended their staffs contracts saying they cannot work another job while furloughed, that is a company thing, not a government thing. Regardless, in your case if you’re getting made redundant it does not matter. Take the job and best of luck with things working out
There aren’t any additional protections for staff to not be made redundant, either now or when the scheme finishes.
The point of the scheme was to make sure people weren’t made redundant at a time it would have been impossible to get a new job due to the lockdown, at least when it ends there’s a chance.

I’d suggest looking at the gov website, you can work for a different employer whilst being furloughed, so you should be able to take a new job now
Wouldn’t worry so much about the furlough. Depending on how long you’ve been with your employer. Will getting another job harm any potential redundancy payment?
Check your contract to see what the likely outcome come is. If you’ve been there less than 2 years, then probably very little will be paid in redundancy, if any. Over that it could be a week per year of statutory minimum or could be a very generous package.
Don’t hand in any notice, until you make an informed decision.

Why write such nonsense that you made up

Wow its like Dominic Cummings all over again - lets just re-write the rules

Anyway, the idea of furlough was to stop redundancies, however, in fact all its doing for lots is delaying redundancy - which I can see as a benefit to employees as they get (some) pay for longer and their time in service grows.

Many redundancy notifications will start going out soon due to the time taken for redundancy consultations and many companies wanting to avoid the change in scheme in August - as nobody quite knows what it is yet.
as others have said, forget about anything but just take the new job (if you can get one) ASAP as jobs will not be in abundance after the lockdown is lifted because of the chaos that will result in the economy.
thanks for the response.

yeah my employer has no problems with me getting a new job etc.

i am not entitled to any redundancy pay as i have not done 2 full active years with them at 1 time.

just wondering if i found a job tomorrow if the current furlough would be stopped, i don't really think my employer cares that much if i did get another job. just confused that they are telling me i am being paid until the scheme ends then i am redundant after that.
do i for some reason still get paid even if i start a new job?
just confused on the technicality sorry.
You can get a job and it will not affect your furlough pay.. But it says you need to fill in a particular form when being employed by someone else.. I'm guessing as on furlough it's because your work priority will to the employer you have now and not your new employer. So you will need to explain to your new employer that you will not be able to go back to your old employer due to redundancy when furlough ends.
These may help...
This is from the Government website
40868096-gWVb7.jpgAnd this is from citizens advice
40868096-rA1r8.jpg
Crustysock25/05/2020 15:16

Comment deleted

oh okay,
its just they are telling me they will continue to pay me till the end of the scheme and are helping me find new jobs etc.
dont know if they will pay me even when i do get another job because it sounds like they will but i dont want to get into any trouble.
Edited by: "simon.martins88" 25th May
angieth25/05/2020 15:12

You can get a job and it will not affect your furlough pay.. But it says …You can get a job and it will not affect your furlough pay.. But it says you need to fill in a particular form when being employed by someone else.. I'm guessing as on furlough it's because your work priority will to the employer you have now and not your new employer. So you will need to explain to your new employer that you will not be able to go back to your old employer due to redundancy when furlough ends. These may help... This is from the Government website[Image] And this is from citizens advice[Image]

oh okay, so technically i can earn from both technically? because i wouldn't have a primary role to return to?
simon.martins8825/05/2020 18:37

oh okay, so technically i can earn from both technically? because i …oh okay, so technically i can earn from both technically? because i wouldn't have a primary role to return to?

Just be wary of your tax bill.

oh okay, so technically i can earn from both technically? because i …oh okay, so technically i can earn from both technically? because i wouldn't have a primary role to return to?

It looks like you can.. There are a few places that say you have to be working different hours than you worked on your original job.. But that may be because you have to be available to return to your original job.
Getting a starter pack for the new job is to do with you not having a p45 to give to new employer.. As you won't have this until you officially leave the old job.. you have to fill in section c which I think is to say you have another job.. Which is to do with taxes.. As you will not be entiltled to your tax allowance if this is already used up for your original job.
If you only have a couple of days left of the furlough it might just be worth waiting the extra days to start a new job.
You can take extra work while on furlough which means you can work as many jobs as you want and once the other company make you redundant you will already be on your other job so no worries legally
Crustysock25/05/2020 21:59

Comment deleted

I'm just saying what it shows on the government and citizens advice website.
Crustysock25/05/2020 21:59

Comment deleted

Not nonsense at all, So long as your contract doesn't prevent you from working elsewhere then you can have another job and still be paid furlough from your original job. The idea is that you go back to your original employer when they want you but sadly in op's case they're making them redundant. So to answer the ops question, Yes you can get a second job and still get furlough providing the contract permits you too etc...

You can do both regardless of situation. Plenty of information on Google I don't know you had to ask here and you will get paid as your employer said.
Edited by: "MR1123" 26th May
Crustysock26/05/2020 03:55

Comment deleted

I apologise, You are correct.

"Can I work for anyone else while I’m furloughed?

Furloughed employees may be able to work for another employer, providing it does not breach their contractual obligations with their current employer.

Individuals should only work outside of the hours they would normally work in their usual job.

Taking on a weekend or evening job may not breach obligations if your contract stipulates a 9am to 5pm working day."
I think that's just if the hours/job you take on breach your contract with your original employer. If your employer agrees to let you work elsewhere.. Maybe has to adjust your contract then it's ok..

Plus.. Simon had put that it doesn't conflict with his contract work.

Also on money saving expert...
40875687.jpg
Edited by: "angieth" 26th May
Post a comment
@
    Text