Furloughing question

Posted 9th Apr
I work for pharmaceutical company and we are distributer (warehouse).Business is open as normal but one of my co-worker ask for FURLOUGH. He is 24 years leaving with his partner. Knowing him we know he or his partner don’t have any underline problem regarding covid -19.
Can he get Furlough?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
How do you know he or his partner dont have any problems ?
No one at my work knows my partner has bowel disease and my son has uveitis and both are on immunosuppressive injections each week and are vulnerable.
They both appear normal to everyone else and not everyone wants the world to know their business
Yes if the employer agrees to place them on furlough. Furlough isnt about who is/isnt at risk.
31 Comments
It doesn’t sound like he’s falls into any categories then to be furloughed especially if he’s not isolating through being high risk or any family member being high risk and while the business is still operating I highly doubt he can be but then it’s at the companies discretionary on what they decide if he doesn’t fall into the criteria for it.
Yes if the employer agrees to place them on furlough. Furlough isnt about who is/isnt at risk.
I'm fairly sure the answer is no if the company is running as normal, although if they are after normal unpaid leave then that is up to management.
I suppose it will come down to whether when you say operating as normal that throughput is the same as it was and has not been affected by the virus/lockdown. If for example they can prove that they are only getting 50% of the business then there may possibly be a case to put some people on furlough? I could be wrong though, that's my logical guessing approach,
He may be wanting it because of the stress and worry if catching the virus
As far as I know it's up to the company if its business as normal otherwise its just sick pay.

The only other way is if he had a shielding letter from nhs, that way he would be entit to furlough.
How do you know he or his partner dont have any problems ?
No one at my work knows my partner has bowel disease and my son has uveitis and both are on immunosuppressive injections each week and are vulnerable.
They both appear normal to everyone else and not everyone wants the world to know their business
MonkeysUncle09/04/2020 10:09

As far as I know it's up to the company if its business as normal …As far as I know it's up to the company if its business as normal otherwise its just sick pay. The only other way is if he had a shielding letter from nhs, that way he would be entit to furlough.

This. Remember that (strange as it may sound) furloughing isn't about protecting people, it's about protecting businesses.
Deleted_09/04/2020 09:34

Yes if the employer agrees to place them on furlough. Furlough isnt about …Yes if the employer agrees to place them on furlough. Furlough isnt about who is/isnt at risk.

Business is open and running with little bit reduce hours. We are four ppl in warehouse. Everyone is working but he ask for furlough. If he gets furlough than i guess everyone is entitled.
ashmac09/04/2020 10:06

He may be wanting it because of the stress and worry if catching the virus

Yes and i am worried too. Coz i got diabetic wife but business is open and we can’t work from home.
Furlough is only for when your job would be otherwise redundant as its a means of businesses retaining staff during the pandemic. Working in the pharma industry i would imagine they are busier than ever so they wouldnt qualify unfortunately.

If you want to be at home because of childcare the employer can offer you unpaid leave or paid leave if they are really generous however your not entitled to anything. if your off sick or isolating you are only entitled to SSP.

Hope this helps
Mark_Hickman09/04/2020 10:17

How do you know he or his partner dont have any problems ?No one at my …How do you know he or his partner dont have any problems ?No one at my work knows my partner has bowel disease and my son has uveitis and both are on immunosuppressive injections each week and are vulnerable.They both appear normal to everyone else and not everyone wants the world to know their business

We are all together four worker here.
And company all ready done risk assessment as any underline problem, child care, leaving with elderly parents etc.
Djpal12309/04/2020 11:05

We are all together four worker here.And company all ready done risk …We are all together four worker here.And company all ready done risk assessment as any underline problem, child care, leaving with elderly parents etc.

Your employer shouldn't be telling you his personal business, so he might still have issues you don't know about, that he's told them
80% pay for 0% work or 100% pay for 100% work, effectively working for 20%. After travel costs and other expenses probably not worth going to work, in a financial sense.
Deleted_09/04/2020 09:34

Yes if the employer agrees to place them on furlough. Furlough isnt about …Yes if the employer agrees to place them on furlough. Furlough isnt about who is/isnt at risk.

That’s only if they fall into one of the categories or at employers discretionary so I didn’t say who’s is just at risk as I said it’s employers discretionary to decide on what they class as employers for furlough.
Asura09/04/2020 11:18

80% pay for 0% work or 100% pay for 100% work, effectively working for …80% pay for 0% work or 100% pay for 100% work, effectively working for 20%. After travel costs and other expenses probably not worth going to work, in a financial sense.

Also even if you continue to work throughout your still going to have to pay the increased taxes they are going to add to pay it all back
Mark_Hickman09/04/2020 10:17

How do you know he or his partner dont have any problems ?No one at my …How do you know he or his partner dont have any problems ?No one at my work knows my partner has bowel disease and my son has uveitis and both are on immunosuppressive injections each week and are vulnerable.They both appear normal to everyone else and not everyone wants the world to know their business

Brilliant!
@Djpal123

The way that you phrased your question has these three answers:-

1. By law and finance : yes, they can be furloughed
2. By psychology : you may have a personal emotional issue such as jealousy and envy, along the lines of "less deserving".
3. By common social experience and employment practice: as @Mark_Hickman pointed out easily, very few people ever confide to the employer and to the casual other, of personal underlying causes unless one had to.
Only companies effected financially or employees who can't work due to covid 19 can be furloughed. That employee can't then be called upon to work. Once this is over the HMRC will try and recoup money by auditing companies as to why they furloughed employees and be asked to provide evidence for the decision. This will be followed by fines for companies who have acted unlawfully.

By the sound of what you have asked, your company is not facing a downturn, the employee doesn't have a geniune reason to be able to work, so would be put on SSP.
Edited by: "scottishpunter" 9th Apr
Furlough - job retention (not employee health protection, as this is sickness benefit)

@Djpal123 says, "Business is open as normal , "

But offers no statement on "Business revenue as normal".

A company accountant is likely to advise, cut the cloth accounting to need/affordability of the monthly revenue/profit.

The no underlying cause point is an independent event to a furlough event. I cannot see that there is a cause (yes or no underlying cause) and effect (furlough, yes or no lawfully).

80% pay for 0% work or 100% pay for 100% work, effectively working for …80% pay for 0% work or 100% pay for 100% work, effectively working for 20%. After travel costs and other expenses probably not worth going to work, in a financial sense.

Job security compared to possible job loss
You can't request to go on furlough it's up to the employer.
I was surprised the company my son works for is still running, apparently its classed as an essential business as they make industrial and commercial garbage disposal equipment (arge dumpster type bins and compactors. He was expecting to get furloughed but instead the bosses have put everyone on time and a half for all their hours, he already gets more than minimum wage that they can pay a 17 year old apprentice as he is on just over £6 an hour so currently he is on around £9.50 per hour the jammy sod. Plus they have paid for a private healthcare policy for all the staff. He is lucky he is in a position where he has his own transport too.
Just to clear up some mis-information above, childcare issues alone would allow furlough to happen as it is a direct result of Covid
MonkeyMan9009/04/2020 14:34

You can't request to go on furlough it's up to the employer.

Yes you can request to go on furlough. Its up to the employer to allow the request or not.
Deleted_09/04/2020 21:03

Yes you can request to go on furlough. Its up to the employer to allow the …Yes you can request to go on furlough. Its up to the employer to allow the request or not.

Which is what I said lol
MonkeyMan9009/04/2020 21:13

Which is what I said lol

No you said you cant request to go on furlough.
Deleted_09/04/2020 22:18

No you said you cant request to go on furlough.

And what was the last part of my sentence. Or are you just choosing not to read that bit
chunk198509/04/2020 11:02

Furlough is only for when your job would be otherwise redundant as its a …Furlough is only for when your job would be otherwise redundant as its a means of businesses retaining staff during the pandemic. Working in the pharma industry i would imagine they are busier than ever so they wouldnt qualify unfortunately.If you want to be at home because of childcare the employer can offer you unpaid leave or paid leave if they are really generous however your not entitled to anything. if your off sick or isolating you are only entitled to SSP.Hope this helps

Wrong

This is too simple picture

If you are one of many employees and when things go back to normal whondo you think they will get rid of soon as they can?

The people that risked there life for the company?

It be the people that played it safe, horrible as all you was doing was protecting yourselfs but when it becomes a choice that will be a factor
Gumbon10/04/2020 09:58

Wrong

No correct. Unless the legal advice I got on thursday was wrong .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions