Expired

Galaxy tab 3 won't turn on or charge-best option?

Found 10th Aug 2014
Hi, I managed to get the Amazon Italy deal on a Samsung galaxy tab 3 on here a few months ago and everything has been working fine until I let the battery go flat-now it won't charge or do anything. I've Googled the problem and can see it's a known issue and that there's a fix if I open the case, however this will invalidate the warranty. Does anyone know if the Italian warranty is valid here? Should I go straight to Samsung or try Amazon Italy first? Any other ideas? Any help would be much appreciated
Community Updates
17 Comments
I would try Samsung.
its probably an eu warranty so best samsung...
Try pressing power button and low volume button together for 10seconds.
If it is within 12 months of ordering contact Amazon and see if they can do anything on there end, due to it being based in Italy anything being sent would take a while. Best bet is to go directly to Samsung for free (providing it's within the 12 months manufacturer warranty).

Have you tried using a different charger or attempting to boot in safe mode?

What is the apparent 'fix' that you came across?
Con_G

If it is within 12 months of ordering contact Amazon and see if they can … If it is within 12 months of ordering contact Amazon and see if they can do anything on there end, due to it being based in Italy anything being sent would take a while. Best bet is to go directly to Samsung for free (providing it's within the 12 months manufacturer warranty).Have you tried using a different charger or attempting to boot in safe mode?What is the apparent 'fix' that you came across?

Thanks for your reply. I only bought it in May, so definitely still under warranty. I have tried using two different chargers that are definitely working, as they both charge other Samsung devices. II'm not aware of how to try booting in safe mode, although I have tried the power button/volume hold (is that safe mode?). The tab is completely out of juice-I have tried leaving it over night on a 3pin phone charger and also for hours on the usb charger connected to the pc.

The 'fix' appears to be removing the back of the tab to reveal the battery and simply unplugging and replugging the battery connection wires. People have said that this appears to reset something on the tab and it then begins charging again.

Any additional thoughts would be welcome-thanks.

Samsung appear to know about the problem and advise that the usb charger will not have enough power to charge the device when the battery has been fully discharged. Some said their solution was to use a car charger, as it seemed to have a higher power output, but I don't have a car charger and can't imagine the output being any different.

The tab is a 10.1" (in case that makes a difference).
Edited by: "Mermoo" 11th Aug 2014
ahk2727

Try pressing power button and low volume button together for 10seconds.

Thanks for your reply-I've tried this and it does nothing.
Mermoo

Thanks for your reply. I only bought it in May, so definitely still under … Thanks for your reply. I only bought it in May, so definitely still under warranty. I have tried using two different chargers that are definitely working, as they both charge other Samsung devices. II'm not aware of how to try booting in safe mode, although I have tried the power button/volume hold (is that safe mode?). The tab is completely out of juice-I have tried leaving it over night on a 3pin phone charger and also for hours on the usb charger connected to the pc.The 'fix' appears to be removing the back of the tab to reveal the battery and simply unplugging and replugging the battery connection wires. People have said that this appears to reset something on the tab and it then begins charging again.Any additional thoughts would be welcome-thanks.Samsung appear to know about the problem and advise that the usb charger will not have enough power to charge the device when the battery has been fully discharged. Some said their solution was to use a car charger, as it seemed to have a higher power output, but I don't have a car charger and can't imagine the output being any different.The tab is a 10.1" (in case that makes a difference).

Yes, safe mode is the power key and volume button.

Well if it is a confirmed fix give it to Samsung to do, so your warranty is still intact and you are guaranteed to have a working tablet by the end of it. Isn't worth breaching your warranty and potentially not fixing the tablet.
have you charged it on the original Sams ung charger supplied with the tablet

A Samsung (or other brand) phone charger may not prove enough current to wake a totally dead battery, and for sure a PC USB port will not.

If the battery is totally exhaustetd you will need a higher amperage charger - maybe up to 2A

not sure what the stock charger is bujt it will be more than 1A which is used by most phones.

You really need to use the stock charger as Samsung Tabs can be quite fussy about chargers

hth

EliTom
elitom

have you charged it on the original Sams ung charger supplied with the … have you charged it on the original Sams ung charger supplied with the tabletA Samsung (or other brand) phone charger may not prove enough current to wake a totally dead battery, and for sure a PC USB port will not.If the battery is totally exhaustetd you will need a higher amperage charger - maybe up to 2Anot sure what the stock charger is bujt it will be more than 1A which is used by most phones.You really need to use the stock charger as Samsung Tabs can be quite fussy about chargershthEliTom

Thanks for your reply. With it being an Amazon Italy order, the only charger supplied is a european travel charger which consists of a 2 pin plug with usb input and connecting cable (does that mean the charger they have provided is not adequate...?). I have tried using this with a 3pin converter and I have also tried using my Samsung 3pin phone charger (phone charger says 0.7A), not sure on the 2pin. I guess I need to find someone with a Galaxy Tab charger and try that out. Thanks for the advice.
Mermoo

Thanks for your reply. With it being an Amazon Italy order, the only … Thanks for your reply. With it being an Amazon Italy order, the only charger supplied is a european travel charger which consists of a 2 pin plug with usb input and connecting cable (does that mean the charger they have provided is not adequate...?). I have tried using this with a 3pin converter and I have also tried using my Samsung 3pin phone charger (phone charger says 0.7A), not sure on the 2pin. I guess I need to find someone with a Galaxy Tab charger and try that out. Thanks for the advice.

if you use teh supplied Italian / European charger with an adapter plug does it not work? will not charge?

EliTom
We bought Samsung tabs in America last year and my husbands wouldn't charge. He got in touch with Samsung and they refused to do anything because they were bought abroad - it may be different with Italy being in the EU though. I would give them a ring and see what they say. We did manage to get his to recharge, I'm not sure how, we just tried it again and the charge started.
elitom

if you use teh supplied Italian / European charger with an adapter plug … if you use teh supplied Italian / European charger with an adapter plug does it not work? will not charge?EliTom

When it still had some charge on it, yes the European plug worked, but now that the battery has fully discharged, even leaving it on charge overnight doesn't do anything.
derbyshireterrier

We bought Samsung tabs in America last year and my husbands wouldn't … We bought Samsung tabs in America last year and my husbands wouldn't charge. He got in touch with Samsung and they refused to do anything because they were bought abroad - it may be different with Italy being in the EU though. I would give them a ring and see what they say. We did manage to get his to recharge, I'm not sure how, we just tried it again and the charge started.

Thanks for your reply-any idea what type of charger it started working on? Do you use the American charger with a UK adapter plug?
Mermoo

Thanks for your reply-any idea what type of charger it started working … Thanks for your reply-any idea what type of charger it started working on? Do you use the American charger with a UK adapter plug?

Yes, it has the American charger and then we use a UK adapter to fit it into our plugs. Just out of interest mine also wouldn't switch on once, my husband got it to switch on by using the on/off button and holding down the "home" button at the bottom of the tab at the same time - maybe this is what he used to get his going again.
If you know anyone with a tesco hudle from memory they come with a 2,5amp charger so would be worth a try.
Edited by: "Argoj" 11th Aug 2014
Derbyshireterrier-

I tried your button combo about 45mins ago and I am now typing this on the Galaxy Tab! I guess the reset/safe mode must be set as different buttons for non-UK models(?) I am also using the European charger with a 3pin converter to fully charge.

Thank you to everyone who replied-I wish I could select more than one best answer

Just for clarification-the reset button sequence for a non-UK Tab appears to be 'power button continuous hold, with home (centre) button hold

Thanks again everyone-I'm very happy!

Edited by: "Mermoo" 11th Aug 2014
Glad I could help - and thanks for marking me as the best answer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants