Game boy Mini being trademarked

22 Comments
What's next? The Game Boy Micro Mini...
Not a surprise. GBA after this, don't think they'll do N64 on account of them not owning the hardware. Not sure they'll want to cut SGI in on every unit sold, as well as licencing third party software. Not sure there's enough profit in it.
Already got loads of gameboy games on my snes mini.

Was hoping for a n64 mini, shame
Krooner37 m ago

Not a surprise. GBA after this, don't think they'll do N64 on account of …Not a surprise. GBA after this, don't think they'll do N64 on account of them not owning the hardware. Not sure they'll want to cut SGI in on every unit sold, as well as licencing third party software. Not sure there's enough profit in it.

Aren't these machines just emulators running on ARM chips though?
SGI are dead, SGHI seem to exist only to file lawsuits
Rubisco1 h, 23 m ago

Aren't these machines just emulators running on ARM chips though?

True, but there's still a royalty to pay, even if you're only emulating the none proprietary chips.

Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 9 m ago

SGI are dead, SGHI seem to exist only to file lawsuits

Somone will own the trademarks and such, I'd imagine they're rubbing their hands together furiously at the prospect of an N64 mini.
Edited by: "Krooner" 10th Oct 2017
Krooner34 m ago

True, but there's still a royalty to pay, even if you're only emulating …True, but there's still a royalty to pay, even if you're only emulating the none proprietary chips.

How come the hundreds of third-party emulators that obviously aren't paying royalties to the original hardware manufacturers don't get taken down then?

Unless you are implying that something would have been written into the contracts between Nintendo and SGI that would have covered the release of a mini-console containing no original hardware 20 years down the line. Which may or may not be true, all we can do is speculate. Personally I don't think they would have had the foresight.
Rubisco7 h, 48 m ago

How come the hundreds of third-party emulators that obviously aren't …How come the hundreds of third-party emulators that obviously aren't paying royalties to the original hardware manufacturers don't get taken down then?Unless you are implying that something would have been written into the contracts between Nintendo and SGI that would have covered the release of a mini-console containing no original hardware 20 years down the line. Which may or may not be true, all we can do is speculate. Personally I don't think they would have had the foresight.

Because they're not official. nor are they profiteering from the work.

They don't own the patents for some of the main chips in the system. Reproduction of that commercially is going to mean somebody is getting a cheque. Add that to the cost of licencing some/any third party software, the cost of R&D (which we'd have probalby seen the patents for if it was happening anytime soon) on a new board, because the current board doesn't have the grunt or controller ports. and the need to keep the system at that "throw-away purchase" price point. It's not happening.
Rubisco8 h, 39 m ago

How come the hundreds of third-party emulators that obviously aren't …How come the hundreds of third-party emulators that obviously aren't paying royalties to the original hardware manufacturers don't get taken down then?Unless you are implying that something would have been written into the contracts between Nintendo and SGI that would have covered the release of a mini-console containing no original hardware 20 years down the line. Which may or may not be true, all we can do is speculate. Personally I don't think they would have had the foresight.

Emulation doesn't contain any games in the emulator itself so thats you breaking the law not them and it doesn't contain any hardware its programming something to work on someone else's stuff, stuff that runs many things.

Its not the same as a company wanting to produce a dedicated chipset to recreate a past product.... I'm not sure if I discribed that clearly enough to be honest but raspberry pi you can do anything on for example so it cant be argued its designed to be used as a NES as it is a multifunctional system upto the user.
Krooner1 h, 38 m ago

Because they're not official. nor are they profiteering from the work. …Because they're not official. nor are they profiteering from the work. They don't own the patents for some of the main chips in the system. Reproduction of that commercially is going to mean somebody is getting a cheque. Add that to the cost of licencing some/any third party software, the cost of R&D (which we'd have probalby seen the patents for if it was happening anytime soon) on a new board, because the current board doesn't have the grunt or controller ports. and the need to keep the system at that "throw-away purchase" price point. It's not happening.

Sorry if this makes you feel old but any patents involved in making the N64 have expired
Rubisco52 m ago

Sorry if this makes you feel old but any patents involved in making the …Sorry if this makes you feel old but any patents involved in making the N64 have expired

It takes about 20 years to expire so we've a few years to go I think. A quick Google suggests the patent was filed in 2001, so four years assuming it's not being maintained...
Edited by: "Krooner" 11th Oct 2017
Game boy is mini.

I wouldn't mind one - if loaded with more that 21 games.... I know itll be hacked like the SNES mini was but seriously Nintendo really did add the bare minimum games.... so many of their own titles should have made the cut IMHO.
Krooner1 h, 11 m ago

It takes about 20 years to expire so we've a few years to go I think. A …It takes about 20 years to expire so we've a few years to go I think. A quick Google suggests the patent was filed in 2001, so four years assuming it's not being maintained...

Wow they took their time, risky move

Nintendo themselves filed a patent in 2001, but the relevant patent US6239810 with Nintendo and SGI as co-assignees was filed on Feb 17, 1999.
Rubisco12 m ago

Wow they took their time, risky move Nintendo themselves filed a …Wow they took their time, risky move Nintendo themselves filed a patent in 2001, but the relevant patent US6239810 with Nintendo and SGI as co-assignees was filed on Feb 17, 1999.

You can bet they'll renew at the eleventh hour too. They'll smell the money, especially if the holding company is as litigious at Segata suggests. They seem to only exist to sit on the patents and sue once they're infringed.
Krooner4 m ago

You can bet they'll renew at the eleventh hour too. They'll smell the …You can bet they'll renew at the eleventh hour too. They'll smell the money, especially if the holding company is as litigious at Segata suggests. They seem to only exist to sit on the patents and sue once they're infringed.

In the US, maintenance fees are due 3½, 7½ and 11½ years after a patent is granted. You can't pay to extend beyond 20 years.
Rubisco8 m ago

In the US, maintenance fees are due 3½, 7½ and 11½ years after a patent is …In the US, maintenance fees are due 3½, 7½ and 11½ years after a patent is granted. You can't pay to extend beyond 20 years.

Thats a positive at least. Might make the most sense to wait the 2 years out. Better arm CPUs by then too, so it's a win win. Gameboy next year, GBA after that, then 64.
Krooner14 h, 41 m ago

Not a surprise. GBA after this, don't think they'll do N64 on account of …Not a surprise. GBA after this, don't think they'll do N64 on account of them not owning the hardware. Not sure they'll want to cut SGI in on every unit sold, as well as licencing third party software. Not sure there's enough profit in it.

what do you mean, them not owning the hardware?
nsx20505 m ago

what do you mean, them not owning the hardware?

They used some of the chips in it under licence from another company (SGI) and paid them a cut on each unit sold.

Interestingly, SEGA actually tried to buy the tech first, but walked away when SGI put forward a licencing deal rather than letting them buy it outright. Nintendo went for it a year later.
Original Poster
Krooner5 h, 35 m ago

They used some of the chips in it under licence from another company (SGI) …They used some of the chips in it under licence from another company (SGI) and paid them a cut on each unit sold. Interestingly, SEGA actually tried to buy the tech first, but walked away when SGI put forward a licencing deal rather than letting them buy it outright. Nintendo went for it a year later.

Interesting to read that! Thanks for the info!
How much and what games would be on the system? I predict at least 50 games all free from jaggies and remastered up to modern spec.
hass1232 h, 4 m ago

How much and what games would be on the system? I predict at least 50 …How much and what games would be on the system? I predict at least 50 games all free from jaggies and remastered up to modern spec.

They'd only add filters, they're not going to bother remastering anything.

I'd imagine it'll be Gameboy/Gameboy Color rather than pay for a custom black and white panel, just use an off the shelf colour one. Gameboys had a custom aspect ratio too, but I'd suppose that they'll use a standard ratio one and use borders to correct it.

First party games;

Tetris (Obviously)
Mario Land (They might skip this, it feels weird to play nowadays)
Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Wario Land 2
Wario Land 3
Donkey Kong '94
Link's Awakening DX
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Zelda Oracle of Seasons
Zelda Oracle of Ages
Kirby's Dreamland
Kirby's Dreamland 2
Kirby's Pinball Land
Donkey Kong Land
Metroid 2
Kid Icarus

And obviously, they'll be a Pokemon on there of some sort. Not sure how they'll handle it though, maybe allow the units to communicate with each other with IR or Bluetooth, stick a Pokemon game on the units at random to encourage old-school trading? This will also mean that the collectors will buy multiples, they could even put, say Yellow, on fewer units to manufacture shortages/demand! We all know how much Nintendo enjoys doing that.

Third Party-wise? Not sure, there's a lot of duds on the original Gameboy. I'd personally like; 'Gargoyle's Quest' and 'Kid Dracula'. There's a 'Metal Gear' game on the GBC so maybe that.
Original Poster
Add a mega man and I think we will be good!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions