Game data (mainly subscription based games) and GDPR?

Posted 21st Sep
A lot of game services that are subscription base, in my case MMORPG games obviously save your character data on the server end. Some people deactivate their accounts, be it to take a break or money for a little while. I know in the US that some people have come back years later and reactivated their account.

My concern is, as per GDPR, is that the games company will be forced to delete your data after a certain (short) space of time, if you are not active.

Some games companies have already pulled service from the EU due to GDPR. I'm just wondering how it works with character data stored on their servers?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
Good question! Try and contact Blizzard live chat, I’m sure they’ll be able to answer it.

I doubt you’ll be the first to raise that with them.
Edited by: "Vencurse" 22nd Sep
GDPR requires companies to have a good reason for storing your data, to retain character information is a good reason and provided they state it in the privacy policy there is nothing wrong with that as you accept it when you sign up. As long as the data is deleted when the service no longer exists that’s fine. GDPR also provides the right to be forgotten, this would still allow customers to make a request to the company to have their data deleted (this would mean they lose all character information).
cmdr_elito22/09/2019 08:19

GDPR requires companies to have a good reason for storing your data

Who or what determines what 'good reason' is though? I can think of many excuses a company can come up with if it's 'reasonable' or 'not reasonable' to keep someones data.
guru40422/09/2019 17:41

Who or what determines what 'good reason' is though? I can think of many …Who or what determines what 'good reason' is though? I can think of many excuses a company can come up with if it's 'reasonable' or 'not reasonable' to keep someones data.

It’s defined as for the purpose it’s collected for. So in the instance in the post a persons details are collected to enable them to own a character within the game. If the data is deleted then the ownership of the character cannot be maintained. In the privacy policy it would state that they would retain your data for x purposes and for x duration. You agree when you sign up for that service. They will also give you the option to delete your account completely too (complying with the right to be forgotten).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants