Game Gear Micro announced by Sega

Deal editor40
Posted 3rd Jun 2020
Game Gear was the only handheld game console in Sega's history. It was loved by game fans all over the world as a mobile hardware of the color LCD which was the first of others. To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the release of such game gear, it will be revived as a "mascot to play" that condenses its charm to the limit.

3476993-PCpsC.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
What is this? a Game Gear for ants?
It runs on 2 x AA batteries has a 240x180 1.15-inch screen, a mono speaker and a headphone jack, and literally has my scratching my head as to wether today is April 1st
40 Comments
It runs on 2 x AA batteries has a 240x180 1.15-inch screen, a mono speaker and a headphone jack, and literally has my scratching my head as to wether today is April 1st
I love it!
If you think you may struggle to see the screen, there's also the Big Window accessory as an option

40956668-ww1Qk.jpg
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 3rd Jun
That looks....awkward. I can't imagine wanting to play that for more than a few minutes. Did they make it to scale in relation to the Megadrive mini?
Is this what SEGAs big announcement was supposed to be?
Da fuq?
40956892-CidTf.jpg
Haircut_10003/06/2020 07:56

That looks....awkward. I can't imagine wanting to play that for more than …That looks....awkward. I can't imagine wanting to play that for more than a few minutes. Did they make it to scale in relation to the Megadrive mini?

My apologies, I'm still mid-first coffee and forgot to post in the official link

More details can be found here > 60th.sega.com/ggm…ro/

"The main body size is 80mm wide x 43mm in height x 20mm in depth, and a very small micro size of less than 40 of the original game gear. Four color variations are released at the same time, each with four types of games built-in. The goddess reincarnation is revived by the monitor of about one inch in Sonic, Puyo puyo-dori, and Shining Force. Decorate the room or play until you clear the game. Next to the mini is "Game Gear Micro"! The 30th anniversary of Memorial Day will be released on October 6."

The images used on the page indicate, at least to me, that they only come with 4 games pre-installed on each console (read: keyring)

40956901-PdCYY.jpg
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 3rd Jun
Who would buy this better using phone or a retroid pocket. Think this could be the end of Sega
What is this? a Game Gear for ants?
RebellionXCI03/06/2020 08:00

Is this what SEGAs big announcement was supposed to be?

I really hope not
Why did Sega drop out of the console wars?

Oh wait, NOW I remember...
Yikes.

A bit of nostalgia. One for the collectors.

But not much else.

Think they've misfired here tbh.
Edited by: "Aerobiz" 3rd Jun
I hope they have improved the battery life over the original. I seem to remember it needed 6 batteries and lasted about 10 minutes before having to change them.
Was this the "major announcement" they teased? Oh dear.
BuzzDuraband03/06/2020 07:14

It runs on 2 x AA batteries has a 240x180 1.15-inch screen, a mono speaker …It runs on 2 x AA batteries has a 240x180 1.15-inch screen, a mono speaker and a headphone jack, and literally has my scratching my head as to wether today is April 1st

Don't forget only incredible 4 built-in games, a different selection depending on colour.

Its like history repeating itself - the Megadrive is released and is a smash hit, so Sega go nuts and release the Mega CD, 32x and the Tower of Power in quick succession, followed by the Saturn and Dreamcast before you even get a chance to get your wallet out of your pocket, before crashing out of the race. Now, the Megadrive Mini is a smash hit, so Sega take that success and get high on it, and come out with what will surely be unusable tat. In 30 years, they haven't changed.
They should bring back the Sega Nomad. Maybe with modern battery technology it might actually be viable.
superspod03/06/2020 08:41

They should bring back the Sega Nomad. Maybe with modern battery …They should bring back the Sega Nomad. Maybe with modern battery technology it might actually be viable.

Not possible.

According to the OP:

"Game Gear was the only handheld game console in Sega's history."
MadeDixonsCry03/06/2020 08:56

Not possible.According to the OP:"Game Gear was the only handheld game …Not possible.According to the OP:"Game Gear was the only handheld game console in Sega's history."

In my defence, it was a early morning copy and paste.

40957366-JZ2Wp.jpg
They can’t be serious with this. I’m hoping this is a joke before the actual release of information tomorrow!
@BuzzDuraband Not fact-checking...tut tut.
YOU ARE FAKE NEWS lol
Why did Sega only include 4 games per Micro system?! I don't know who the target demographic is for this product, and if it's the nostalgia crowd who grew up with the Game-Gear, this is a very low offering. I feel this is a gross oversight and will cause low sales.
MadeDixonsCry03/06/2020 09:03

@BuzzDuraband Not fact-checking...tut tut.YOU ARE FAKE NEWS lol

Well, if Sega aren't owning up to it (that's their site ) then I'm siding by them, or at least now I am
scapton03/06/2020 09:05

Why did Sega only include 4 games per Micro system?! I don't know who the …Why did Sega only include 4 games per Micro system?! I don't know who the target demographic is for this product, and if it's the nostalgia crowd who grew up with the Game-Gear, this is a very low offering. I feel this is a gross oversight and will cause low sales.

It's just big enough for you to spot if you lose your keys, so there is that
BuzzDuraband03/06/2020 07:14

It runs on 2 x AA batteries has a 240x180 1.15-inch screen, a mono speaker …It runs on 2 x AA batteries has a 240x180 1.15-inch screen, a mono speaker and a headphone jack, and literally has my scratching my head as to wether today is April 1st

This reminds me of my tiny 8bitdo Bluetooth controller
I've still got my original boxed, think I bought it around 1991 when I was 9 with my pocket money. I even bought the TV Turner to watch films in bed when I was told it was lights out
40958686-zsqdv.jpg
Toon_army03/06/2020 10:48

I've still got my original boxed, think I bought it around 1991 when I was …I've still got my original boxed, think I bought it around 1991 when I was 9 with my pocket money. I even bought the TV Turner to watch films in bed when I was told it was lights out

The question on everybody's lips is, though - do you still have the receipt in pristine condition in the box?
BuzzDuraband03/06/2020 10:51

The question on everybody's lips is, though - do you still have the …The question on everybody's lips is, though - do you still have the receipt in pristine condition in the box?

I'm honestly not sure, I was just a kid back then so possibly not... I'll have to look next time I'm in the loft, think I've got about 25 games with it, stupid ones like Tasmanian Devil
Toon_army03/06/2020 10:53

I'm honestly not sure, I was just a kid back then so possibly not... I'll …I'm honestly not sure, I was just a kid back then so possibly not... I'll have to look next time I'm in the loft, think I've got about 25 games with it, stupid ones like Tasmanian Devil

I only ask because I've been reading the previous Modern Warfare 2 Remastered post in the past hour.
Ok I’m calling on this. This can’t be real.

Hoping that a proper announcement comes tomorrow and is a new handheld gaming device!
The “huge scoop” for SEGA is Fog Gaming a cloud gaming service for arcades

Fog Gaming would repurpose arcades across Japan as part of the cloud, as well as channel arcade game machines’ CPUs and GPUs, resulting in lower costs. This would provide ultra low latency, and the concept is similar to fog computing. Players would be able to enjoy high-quality games, and arcades would be able to make money even after business hours.

More details about Sega's new 'Fog Gaming' just posted.https://t.co/MWCrSed3vW
It's a cloud gaming service for arcades. It will make use of the arcade cabinet's CPU/GPU which will reduce costs and keep lag down. And it allows game centers to make money outside of operating hours.
BuzzDuraband03/06/2020 10:55

I only ask because I've been reading the previous Modern Warfare 2 … I only ask because I've been reading the previous Modern Warfare 2 Remastered post in the past hour.

I thought you must have been referring to that deal post ha.
A friend last week was arguing with me saying the Ps4 wasn't £350 on release night, I said hold on a minute... send him my receipt his reply 'why you kept your receipt?', not oh well I'm wrong!
I have a Sega Megajet boxed. Wonder if it's worth anything?
BuzzDuraband03/06/2020 10:58

The “huge scoop” for SEGA is Fog Gaming a cloud gaming service for arc …The “huge scoop” for SEGA is Fog Gaming a cloud gaming service for arcadesFog Gaming would repurpose arcades across Japan as part of the cloud, as well as channel arcade game machines’ CPUs and GPUs, resulting in lower costs. This would provide ultra low latency, and the concept is similar to fog computing. Players would be able to enjoy high-quality games, and arcades would be able to make money even after business hours.More details about Sega's new 'Fog Gaming' just posted.https://t.co/MWCrSed3vWIt's a cloud gaming service for arcades. It will make use of the arcade cabinet's CPU/GPU which will reduce costs and keep lag down. And it allows game centers to make money outside of operating hours.

Now this is potentially brilliant news!
Ah that takes me back to Gear Gear Neck, a self inflicted disability for a few hours after.
I remember on the Game Gear playing classics like Marble Madness, not available on the above minis.

Lillhammer winter Olympics!

James Pond, RoboCod and a few other things.

But also you could play Master System cartridge games with the adapter!

I always felt the GameGear games were never as well conceptualised for the handheld like they were for Gameboy.
BuzzDuraband03/06/2020 10:58

The “huge scoop” for SEGA is Fog Gaming a cloud gaming service for arc …The “huge scoop” for SEGA is Fog Gaming a cloud gaming service for arcadesFog Gaming would repurpose arcades across Japan as part of the cloud, as well as channel arcade game machines’ CPUs and GPUs, resulting in lower costs. This would provide ultra low latency, and the concept is similar to fog computing. Players would be able to enjoy high-quality games, and arcades would be able to make money even after business hours.More details about Sega's new 'Fog Gaming' just posted.https://t.co/MWCrSed3vWIt's a cloud gaming service for arcades. It will make use of the arcade cabinet's CPU/GPU which will reduce costs and keep lag down. And it allows game centers to make money outside of operating hours.

Now that is more interesting!
That looks way too small to play. Makes the game boy micro look like the original game gear
Just Need Nintendo to announce the Mini Gameboy Micro now.
JamesB8303/06/2020 14:27

That looks way too small to play. Makes the game boy micro look like the …That looks way too small to play. Makes the game boy micro look like the original game gear

Prison edition?
Post a comment
@
    Text