Game Gift Card Passed Expiration Date

Found 13th Mar 2012
Hi, I have a gift card for Game on which i've amassed around £120 from trade-ins.I've not used it for ages and after going in the store today I was told that as i'd not topped up,spent or checked my balance for 2 years, all the funds have been wiped off it.

Are they allowed to do this? And can anyone advise me on a course of action?

Thanks

17 Comments

Have a read through the t&c's. If its just passed recently call up head office and see if they will do anything.

I know gamestation you only have 180 days to not use/check how much is on it and they can wipe it off, it says on the back of the gift card, probably the same with the game giftcard im afraid

Banned

sometimes head office will reactivate if recently expire but as Zodiak said check t&cs as im sure most gift cards will expire if its inactive

Wiping off your credit just because you haven't checked your balance for 2 years is just plain mental! The Scoundrels!!!

http://screencrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/get-him-to-the-greek-showest-2010-17-3-10-kc.jpg

Original Poster

Yes i'll be giving head office a call in the morning and you're right I think it has been reduced to 180 days at Game too.

From a legal standpoint does this not contravene any rules, can a company just pick an arbitrary period of time and say it must be spent by then?

deb8z

If you don't log into Topcashback for over 6 months you lose that

Really. ******* robbing ********

yeah its in the terms and conditions, your money is gone

deb8z

If you don't log into Topcashback for over 6 months you lose that

blimey, didn't know that!

If you do chase them up please let us know how you got on - hope they're helpful, btw

I've had this argument before with a different store, my gift card ran out to, they didn't honour it after much complaining to head office I kindly pointed out that when I take money out of my bank it doesn't state a use by date on it, and a gift card is another form of cash. Good luck.

Hmmm.. will the administrators let you use it? Hurry as its looming...
Game was ruined when they rebranded electronics boutique

If it was in the small print then you won't get your money back.

If they changed the t & c and didn't inform you then you may get somewhere but I doubt it.

Original Poster

Update- I spoke to Game head office and they said no, the reasoning being that if they make an exception for one person they would have to do it for all of them.

They said I could put a letter in writing to the complaints team, has anyone got any advice they can offer?

Wooderson

Update- I spoke to Game head office and they said no, the reasoning being … Update- I spoke to Game head office and they said no, the reasoning being that if they make an exception for one person they would have to do it for all of them.They said I could put a letter in writing to the complaints team, has anyone got any advice they can offer?

give up , your fighting a losing battle

Wooderson

Update- I spoke to Game head office and they said no, the reasoning being … Update- I spoke to Game head office and they said no, the reasoning being that if they make an exception for one person they would have to do it for all of them.They said I could put a letter in writing to the complaints team, has anyone got any advice they can offer?

ask for whatever you traded in back.
Edited by: "dontasciime" 14th Mar 2012

I do genuinely feel sorry for you OP, but I've just checked a gift card I still have with like, a quid on it, and on the back in bold it does say clearly that if not used for 24 months it will expire, and says ways to keep it active.

Original Poster

Well on my card it isn't in bold and even with 20/20 vision it's not exactly easy to read.

If it was 24 months to spend it i'd say fair enough, but the fact that a balance check would keep it active is what annoys me.I still have the receipt and the lady on the phone even checked the number to confirm the transaction on her computer, so they have conclusive proof of the amount.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions