Game rip off again!

Posted 26th Aug 2020
Looking at buying the new Call of Duty Cold War Game are charging £5 more than the Playsation Store. £64.99 for the standard game. What a joke!
Community Updates
Top comments
justanothercid26/08/2020 20:13

I think the joke is £60+ for a game.. I get lots of effort goes into …I think the joke is £60+ for a game.. I get lots of effort goes into making games but come on.. there is no more effort than in previous years when games were slightly more reasonable. what kid has this kind of money..

I paid £60 for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Game prices are reasonable when you consider how much everything else has increased by
But OP, why are you so bothered about Game charging £5 more for a physical copy of a game than the PSN digital version of it? Nobody is being forced to buy it. If people choose to preorder a copy of it now from Game at £65 rather than shopping around for the best price then that's up to them.
27 Comments
I think the joke is £60+ for a game.. I get lots of effort goes into making games but come on.. there is no more effort than in previous years when games were slightly more reasonable. what kid has this kind of money..
41761252-QkKqM.jpg
Don’t forget your beanie hat and 7” assorted figures
Game is horrible, my go to is game collection for preorders.
Dred to think what the special edition costs

I think the joke is £60+ for a game.. I get lots of effort goes into …I think the joke is £60+ for a game.. I get lots of effort goes into making games but come on.. there is no more effort than in previous years when games were slightly more reasonable. what kid has this kind of money..

I paid £60 for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Game prices are reasonable when you consider how much everything else has increased by
BARKMAN26/08/2020 20:21

I paid £60 for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Game prices are reasonable …I paid £60 for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Game prices are reasonable when you consider how much everything else has increased by

I think I paid £85 for a US imported copy of Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers on the SNES in 1994. That was an incredible game, I played the hell out of it for years.

I paid £60 for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Game prices are reasonable …I paid £60 for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Game prices are reasonable when you consider how much everything else has increased by

Me too. Champion Edition on the Mega Drive. £59.99
But OP, why are you so bothered about Game charging £5 more for a physical copy of a game than the PSN digital version of it? Nobody is being forced to buy it. If people choose to preorder a copy of it now from Game at £65 rather than shopping around for the best price then that's up to them.

It's the economy, not the game prices.

IIRC the original call of duty was £39.99 in 2003 wasn't it? Adjusting for inflation that's £68.75 today.
Hasn't it been leaked or something, 60 dollar current gen, 70 Cross gen, then a 80 dollar special edition?

£65 for a game is mental. I know people used to pay that back in the day, but I've been gaming properly since PS1 and the most I've paid for a game was this past gen, £45 Last of Us 2
I think purely for the extra cost to make the physical version
Games have gotten cheaper over the years if anything, but at least back in the day you received a complete game when you handed over the money. Now every game seems to have microtransactions, loot crates and some kind of subscription attached.
EndlessWaves26/08/2020 21:17

It's the economy, not the game prices. IIRC the original call of duty was …It's the economy, not the game prices. IIRC the original call of duty was £39.99 in 2003 wasn't it? Adjusting for inflation that's £68.75 today.

And they’re still posting billions in revenue, with less games being produced thanks to the inclusion of micro-transactions and loot boxes.

The inflation argument never takes into account the multiple editions, dlc, micro-transactions and loot boxes. This is a money grab by the likes of 2K and Activision. It’s not because they’re losing money on each game sale.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 27th Aug
Can you go to your PlaySation Store?

I'm glad it's not just me that remembers we had these kinds of prices in the 90s. I didn't have a SNES but I know I paid £44.99 each for my first two PlayStation games (because I still have them and one of them still has the price on!). That was at the start of 1998, and I remember thinking it wasn't too bad because I had seen plenty of games for £60.

So adjusting for inflation those PlayStation games would be £80 today. £60 for Street Fighter II in 1992 would be £125 today.

I know we've had a good decade or two of most games being around £30-40 and prices do seem to be on the rise now, but they're still costing less in real terms than they did 20-25 years ago. And they drop in price like nothing else except used cars, so if you don't want to pay £65 just wait and it will be cheaper within a matter of weeks.

Biddy227/08/2020 00:01

The inflation argument never takes into account the multiple editions, …The inflation argument never takes into account the multiple editions, dlc, micro-transactions and loot boxes.

I guess the historical comparison would be expansion packs, which were usually around £20, so say £35 in today's money. So even DLC is cheaper these days as it doesn't usually cost that much for a season pass.

But when it comes to micro transactions, loot boxes, pointless cosmetic items, etc. then, yeah, they're obvious cash grabs - but they're totally optional, nobody is making you buy them, so the best thing to do is vote with your wallet and ignore them.
reddragon10527/08/2020 03:39

I'm glad it's not just me that remembers we had these kinds of prices in …I'm glad it's not just me that remembers we had these kinds of prices in the 90s. I didn't have a SNES but I know I paid £44.99 each for my first two PlayStation games (because I still have them and one of them still has the price on!). That was at the start of 1998, and I remember thinking it wasn't too bad because I had seen plenty of games for £60.So adjusting for inflation those PlayStation games would be £80 today. £60 for Street Fighter II in 1992 would be £125 today.I know we've had a good decade or two of most games being around £30-40 and prices do seem to be on the rise now, but they're still costing less in real terms than they did 20-25 years ago. And they drop in price like nothing else except used cars, so if you don't want to pay £65 just wait and it will be cheaper within a matter of weeks.I guess the historical comparison would be expansion packs, which were usually around £20, so say £35 in today's money. So even DLC is cheaper these days as it doesn't usually cost that much for a season pass.But when it comes to micro transactions, loot boxes, pointless cosmetic items, etc. then, yeah, they're obvious cash grabs - but they're totally optional, nobody is making you buy them, so the best thing to do is vote with your wallet and ignore them.

Maybe these corporations complaining about “increased game prices” shouldn’t splash out tens of millions on vastly excessive marketing and getting big name actors in to their mainstream games
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 27th Aug
Personally I've never been able to justify paying full price for a game just to get it early. Give it at least a couple of weeks and the prices drop. I think the newest game I bought was Horizon Zero Dawn, but I have got so much out of it that I'm happy with that. And I didn't pay full price for that.

My daughter wants Ghosts of Tsushima but I've told her to wait, hopefully I'll get her into the practice of waiting for it to go cheaper.
MadeDixonsCry26/08/2020 20:56

Me too. Champion Edition on the Mega Drive. £59.99

Did you buy the 6 button controller as well? I bought that too when I got my Champion Edition on the MD, I can't imagine trying to play SF with the standard 3 button controller!
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 27th Aug
Haircut_10027/08/2020 10:20

Did you buy the 6 button controller as well? I bought that too when I got …Did you buy the 6 button controller as well? I bought that too when I got my Champion Edition on the MD, I can't imagine trying to play SF with the standard 3 button controller!

I did not. I had to use the start button to switch from punches to kicks and vice versa! It was a nightmare! (We weren't a very wealthy family, I couldn't believe it when my mum bought me the game).

I went over to my friend's house and asked him to show me the start menu and I was marveling at it because I could never get the start menu on mine!
Biddy227/08/2020 00:01

And they’re still posting billions in revenue, with less games being p …And they’re still posting billions in revenue, with less games being produced thanks to the inclusion of micro-transactions and loot boxes. The inflation argument never takes into account the multiple editions, dlc, micro-transactions and loot boxes. This is a money grab by the likes of 2K and Activision. It’s not because they’re losing money on each game sale.

Expansion packs are no longer a thing, and they used to cost 2/3 the cost of the original game. They were often disappointingly small too. I remember the original call of duty expansion pack only contained about 3 hours of content.

And there was no ongoing stuff either. You used to get a couple of patches to fix bugs and then the only commitment was to maintain the matchmaking and forums, few games even ran their own multiplayer servers.

The culture that's developed around gamers does mean sales of games can be pretty wonky with some selling far more than others of similar quality so the pricing model is always going to reflect that.

High prices is better for buyers than some of the alternatives. Imagine if the gaming industry went to a film model where entry prices were cheap and most games lost money except for a few blockbusters. It'd kill off all of all the independent developers, except those making very low budget games.

There's a lot more work that goes in to these games than what used to be. I don't remember doing a single update for any game on my og xbox or even the 360 for that matter. Lately developers are always either fixing the game or adding things to the game.

what kid has this kind of money..

Kids who are over 18.

41765935-CQjXD.jpg
Edited by: "paul_merton" 27th Aug
paul_merton27/08/2020 12:38

Kids who are over 18.[Image]

That was a quote for games in general but pretty sure the pegi rating is ignored by many as well.

Bargain!
In fairness the physical copy has resale value whereas digital doesn’t. If you had it for 6 months and traded it in for a tenner it would have cost you a whopping £2 a week. Not bad for hours of entertainment each week..
If this game is £65 for PS4, I wonder what the default price for PS5/xbox series will be?
Post a comment
@
    Text