GAME selling ex-display stock as "new", again!

Found 20th May 2014
Bought a new copy of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity for Nintendo 3DS at Game.co.uk.

Received an unsealed copy with that ugly purple sticker, thought it was preowned and sent it back, few weeks passed and I received a replacement copy which was again unsealed. Both of the cases were in quite poor condition, so I was 100% sure that they sent me another preowned copy.
Sent them an e-mail and this is the reply:

"These games are new, however due to demand we have moved some stock back from stores. This stock should be in MINT condition however it may be ex-display. This stock is new (it has never been owned by anyone other than us, and certainly it has never been played) however it may have been stripped of its plastic sleeve."

So be careful when you order this particular game or any other game from them!
Community Updates
48 Comments
Same happened to me a few weeks back when I bought Mario for Wii U. (When it was £20 new). Case looks battered and inserts were just shoved in with the disc in a paper cd sleeve.

Couldn't be bothered sending it back though as the disc did look new.
biddilybah

Same happened to me a few weeks back when I bought Mario for Wii U. (When … Same happened to me a few weeks back when I bought Mario for Wii U. (When it was £20 new). Case looks battered and inserts were just shoved in with the disc in a paper cd sleeve. Couldn't be bothered sending it back though as the disc did look new.

The case was probably on display (& handled by the public) before being collated with the inserts/disc & sent to you by mail order.
New should be sealed, this is used as they used the case for display purposes, whether they used the disc or not is neither here or there, Nintendo don't ship them out like that, so they shouldn't sell them like that, they get display boxes from Ninty anyway don't they?
OP on your invoice with the game did it say "mint" on it by any chance? I've ordered a few new games from them. Some, eg. Rayman for the Vita that I got today said Mint on the product name. So did my Black Flag Skull Edition. Other times it hasn't said mint but has still been sealed though so just curious.

Anyway GAME do send display copies of games that are in fact new if they are on short supply. Guess you just have to look at what new really means. Is a new game one that hasn't been played or hasn't been unsealed? I don't think there's a problem with them selling it as new. They can't list it as preowned because it's never been used and hasn't been owned by any other person. When buying a new game I would like one that has never been unsealed but if it comes with a purple sticker in perfect condition I won't mind. If it's in bad condition I will and if possible I will return it. I guess they should say there is a chance it can come as an ex display copy on their website somewhere

Edited by: "Bure11" 20th May 2014
fanpages

The case was probably on display (& handled by the public) before being … The case was probably on display (& handled by the public) before being collated with the inserts/disc & sent to you by mail order.

I knew it was ex-display but for the sake of £20, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back. Like I said, the disc was clearly new so I'm not too fussed.
MikeBeaver

New should be sealed, this is used as they used the case for display … New should be sealed, this is used as they used the case for display purposes, whether they used the disc or not is neither here or there, Nintendo don't ship them out like that, so they shouldn't sell them like that, they get display boxes from Ninty anyway don't they?

Not sure what Ninty is but no they use their own game cases. They unseal a few games and put the book and disc in a plastic wallet and put the cases on the shelves.
Bure11

OP on your invoice with the game did it say "mint" on it by any chance? … OP on your invoice with the game did it say "mint" on it by any chance? I've ordered a few new games from them. Some, eg. Rayman for the Vita that I got today said Mint on the product name. So did my Black Flag Skull Edition. Other times it hasn't said mint but has still been sealed though so just curious.Anyway GAME do send display copies of games that are in fact new if they are on short supply. Guess you just have to look at what new really means. Is a new game one that hasn't been played or hasn't been unsealed? I don't think there's a problem with them selling it as new. They can't list it as preowned because it's never been used and hasn't been owned by any other person. When buying a new game I would like one that has never been unsealed but if it comes with a purple sticker in perfect condition I won't mind. If it's in bad condition I will and if possible I will return it. I guess they should say there is a chance it can come as an ex display copy on their website somewhere

FYI: [ hotukdeals.com/mis…684 ]
Bure11

Not sure what Ninty is but no they use their own game cases. They unseal … Not sure what Ninty is but no they use their own game cases. They unseal a few games and put the book and disc in a plastic wallet and put the cases on the shelves.

Ninty = Nintendo
MikeBeaver

New should be sealed, this is used as they used the case for display … New should be sealed, this is used as they used the case for display purposes, whether they used the disc or not is neither here or there, Nintendo don't ship them out like that, so they shouldn't sell them like that, they get display boxes from Ninty anyway don't they?

Not all publishers seal their products, nor provide display cases.
I ordered Rayman Legends for the Wii U last week and my copy came unsealed with a purple sticker on and the Club Nintendo card was missing >.> I should stick to Shopto for my new games.
miikeyblue

Ninty = Nintendo

Ah right, I'm not sure about that then for new releases. All I know is that they use their own stock for older games.

fanpages

FYI: [ … FYI: [ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/game-sells-ex-display-stock-as-new-656778?p=8500684 ]

Thanks for that its an interesting read. Also just to randomly add, as much as I used to hate GAME they have improved a lot recently. Online and my local stores, can't comment on others.

If it's not sealed it's not new. If you bought it sealed in store and tried to take it back unsealed they wouldn't have any of it would they?
Bure11

Ah right, I'm not sure about that then for new releases. All I know is … Ah right, I'm not sure about that then for new releases. All I know is that they use their own stock for older games.Thanks for that its an interesting read. Also just to randomly add, as much as I used to hate GAME they have improved a lot recently. Online and my local stores, can't comment on others.

It has their own seal on, the same as they put on preowned games. So as long as that is still on you can return it within 28 days.

I know that's not the manufacturing seal but I wasn't sure if you were just making a point or didn't think you could still return it ect..
fanpages

Game have plenty of display boxes for films though don't they? As for publishers sealing products they all do as far as I'm concerned.
fuzzydunlop

...As for publishers sealing products they all do as far as I'm concerned.

You are misinformed then.
Original Poster
Bure11

OP on your invoice with the game did it say "mint" on it by any chance? … OP on your invoice with the game did it say "mint" on it by any chance? I've ordered a few new games from them. Some, eg. Rayman for the Vita that I got today said Mint on the product name. So did my Black Flag Skull Edition. Other times it hasn't said mint but has still been sealed though so just curious.

Yup, all games had 'Mint' written behind the title, but others were sealed.

Bure11

Anyway GAME do send display copies of games that are in fact new if they … Anyway GAME do send display copies of games that are in fact new if they are on short supply. Guess you just have to look at what new really means. Is a new game one that hasn't been played or hasn't been unsealed? I don't think there's a problem with them selling it as new. They can't list it as preowned because it's never been used and hasn't been owned by any other person. When buying a new game I would like one that has never been unsealed but if it comes with a purple sticker in perfect condition I won't mind. If it's in bad condition I will and if possible I will return it. I guess they should say there is a chance it can come as an ex display copy on their website somewhere

Then they should add another buying option to their online store: "Like new".
TheGameCollection is IMO a perfect example: they have categories "New", "Like New" and "Preowned".
"Like New" usually means the game is unsealed but in perfect condition, then I know exactly what I´m buying.
fanpages

For retail ?
I've never had a unsealed game from GAME online, but being sealed doesn't mean its new, they have shrink wrapping machines, some publishers don't bother sealing them anyway, clearly Nintendo always do and their seal has Nintendo written all over it too.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 20th May 2014
fanpages

Nintendo, PS3 and Xbox360 all have security seals. Blu-ray perhaps (rarely) games, nah, sorry wrong.
Edited by: "fuzzydunlop" 20th May 2014
Error440

I've never had a unsealed game from GAME online, but being sealed doesn't … I've never had a unsealed game from GAME online, but being sealed doesn't mean its new, they have shrink wrapping machines, so publishers don't bother sealing them anyway, clearly Nintendo always do and their seal has Nintendo written all over it too.

Playstation and Microsoft both have security seals also. if it's not there it's not new and has been resealed
fuzzydunlop

...As for publishers sealing products they all do as far as I'm … ...As for publishers sealing products they all do as far as I'm concerned.

fanpages

fuzzydunlop

Nintendo, PS3 and Xbox all have security seals. Blu-ray perhaps (rarely) … Nintendo, PS3 and Xbox all have security seals. Blu-ray perhaps (rarely) games, nah, sorry wrong.

First party publishers; yes.
Third party; no.
WeskerLives

I ordered Rayman Legends for the Wii U last week and my copy came … I ordered Rayman Legends for the Wii U last week and my copy came unsealed with a purple sticker on and the Club Nintendo card was missing >.> I should stick to Shopto for my new games.

I've got one if you want it?

Collecting the points and redeeming them is to much hassle for me...
fanpages

I work in the games industry and they all do. Where did you get the idea that they don't?
fuzzydunlop

...As for publishers sealing products they all do as far as I'm … ...As for publishers sealing products they all do as far as I'm concerned.

fanpages

JackBauer

I work in the games industry and they all do. Where did you get the idea … I work in the games industry and they all do. Where did you get the idea that they don't?

From my previous experience in the Video Games industry.
WeskerLives

I ordered Rayman Legends for the Wii U last week and my copy came … I ordered Rayman Legends for the Wii U last week and my copy came unsealed with a purple sticker on and the Club Nintendo card was missing >.> I should stick to Shopto for my new games.

I posted that deal mate. Sorry you didnt get a Club Nintendo card inside.... there was one in mine!
allgonewrong

I posted that deal mate. Sorry you didnt get a Club Nintendo card … I posted that deal mate. Sorry you didnt get a Club Nintendo card inside.... there was one in mine!

why are you saying sorry? it's no ones fault except Game's, its just one of those things loads of retailers have employee's that steal codes every chance they get.
WeskerLives

why are you saying sorry? it's no ones fault except Game's, its just one … why are you saying sorry? it's no ones fault except Game's, its just one of those things loads of retailers have employee's that steal codes every chance they get.

If you go into CEX and be nice to the staff they have been known to hand out a few spare ones from various games. Ive just asked if there are any spares when ive been buying something else. Quite common appraently!
allgonewrong

If you go into CEX and be nice to the staff they have been known to hand … If you go into CEX and be nice to the staff they have been known to hand out a few spare ones from various games. Ive just asked if there are any spares when ive been buying something else. Quite common appraently!

...and by "spare" you mean those taken out of the boxes they have on display in-store so that other customer's don't receive a code with their respective purchase?
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Do you get angry when you walk into ASDA and buy a game only to find that you have to grab the opened case of the shelf and go to the til where they put the game in? New is new, so long as it hasn't been used I don't see what the problem is. Plenty of retailers work like this, their response as to why (transferred stock from stores) makes perfect, logical sense.
Original Poster
Sheehy278

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Do you get angry when you walk … I don't see what all the fuss is about. Do you get angry when you walk into ASDA and buy a game only to find that you have to grab the opened case of the shelf and go to the til where they put the game in? New is new, so long as it hasn't been used I don't see what the problem is. Plenty of retailers work like this, their response as to why (transferred stock from stores) makes perfect, logical sense.

When I go to a retail store, I see that I´m going to buy an opened copy and I can examine the case/disc if it´s in mint condition.
But when I shop online I usually expect to get a brand new/sealed copy when the website states that it´s new.
Sheehy278

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Do you get angry when you walk … I don't see what all the fuss is about. Do you get angry when you walk into ASDA and buy a game only to find that you have to grab the opened case of the shelf and go to the til where they put the game in? New is new, so long as it hasn't been used I don't see what the problem is. Plenty of retailers work like this, their response as to why (transferred stock from stores) makes perfect, logical sense.

The trouble with some of the examples provided by (what was) The Game Group/(now) Game Retail Limited/(soon to be) Game Digital is that the game case/packaging does not look new because they have been on-display (& handled by many punters).

The "purple sticker" applied to the edge of the case to prevent opening is often associated with pre-owned examples of the same item, so when you receive an item that has such a sticker you instantly see a "used" item even if the disc has not previously been used.

To be fair, if you went into a store & were sold an item that was displayed in-store, then most stores would tell you this (so you could choose whether to continue with the purchase, or not).

In electrical goods stores, for instance, you may also be able to negotiate a discount if the item had been used as a demonstration model.
Many people have received ex display games instead of new and many can't be bothered returning their games and end up with what is basically a preowned copy. Game is knowingly doing this and knows their customers won't bother sending the game back. Those are unacceptable shady business practices which the company apologized for a few years ago edge-online.com/new…ck/ and more recently hotukdeals.com/mis…342

I talked to a support agent who said it was common practice and that it was just the way it was "if we run out of new stock, we will send you ex displays".

I'm currently claiming my money back through Paypal and refusing to return the games until they come and collect them which they are refusing to do and Paypal, I believe, will refund me for all my purchases as items were not as described.

Edit: I've just emailed this to hotukdeals so they might be able to talk about it on facebook and get game to stop this. It happened three times to me, box unsealed which you could tell had been handled by many many people. I'm paying for new, unsealed is not new. I don't want ex displays, I want a new copy.
Edited by: "iamthebatman01" 21st May 2014
iamthebatman01

Many people have received ex display games instead of new and many can't … Many people have received ex display games instead of new and many can't be bothered returning their games and end up with what is basically a preowned copy. Game is knowingly doing this and knows their customers won't bother sending the game back. Those are unacceptable shady business practices which the company apologized for a few years ago http://www.edge-online.com/news/game-apologises-selling-ex-display-stock/ and more recently http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/game-selling-ex-display-stock-new-again-1909342...

The second link is this very thread!

Please see my original thread (as I mentioned in comment #2):

"GAME sells ex-display stock as 'new' - Will refund or replace any non-'mint' goods bought at Easter"
fanpages

The second link is this very thread! :)Please see my original thread (as … The second link is this very thread! :)Please see my original thread (as I mentioned in comment #2):"GAME sells ex-display stock as 'new' - Will refund or replace any non-'mint' goods bought at Easter"

This is just what I sent to HUKD Facebook page, it does include this link so they can have a look.
Sheehy278

Yes because they also store the discs wrong (paper/plastic sleeves that have been used with gritty particles that scratch the disc and the paper can also impregnate the disc at edge of disc check for visible straight line on outer edge of disc caused by straight edge of sleeve exposure.

If they don't have a sealed one with the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it, I don't want it.

http://i.imgur.com/nd06ofM.png

Edited by: "dontasciime" 21st May 2014
dontasciime

Yes because they also store the discs wrong (paper/plastic sleeves that … Yes because they also store the discs wrong (paper/plastic sleeves that have been used with gritty particles that scratch the disc and the paper can also impregnate the disc at edge of disc check for visible straight line on outer edge of disc caused by straight edge of sleeve exposure. If they don't have a sealed one with the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it, I don't want it.

And why would you, you're paying for new, why would you want a disgusting ex-display copy.
This is a game stock pick.

http://i.imgur.com/4Y082y7.jpg

fanpages

...and by "spare" you mean those taken out of the boxes they have on … ...and by "spare" you mean those taken out of the boxes they have on display in-store so that other customer's don't receive a code with their respective purchase?

No, they have a flick though the plastic containers with the discs in them. I bought Super Mario Bro U & Super Luigi U (on one disc) a few months back and BOTH the codes for each game was in the box.
dontasciime

Yes because they also store the discs wrong (paper/plastic sleeves that … Yes because they also store the discs wrong (paper/plastic sleeves that have been used with gritty particles that scratch the disc and the paper can also impregnate the disc at edge of disc check for visible straight line on outer edge of disc caused by straight edge of sleeve exposure.If they don't have a sealed one with the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it, I don't want it.

Impregnate? Man, i'll look out for those face hugging aliens near my games!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants