Game Store 'fair pricing'?

Posted 10th Dec 2019
Hi, I was really annoyed not being able to trade in my old PS4 for the pro due to lack of availability when the offer was on. However I went ahead on Black Friday after watching the prices, and found nobody was selling much less than £299.99. Game are now selling the MW bundle for £269.00, a mere 11 days after the so called sale!!! Anyone know if they will pay the difference back?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If you were happy with the price you paid on the day you got a "fair price".

If all you do is wait for prices to drop you'll never buy or enjoy anything.
Edited by: "emodan" 10th Dec 2019
37 Comments
You aren't entitled to it but you could always ask as some companies will do but usually within 7 or 14 days. But like I said they don't have to
I know Amazon sometimes do. But I doubt game will. 11 days is still a while for them. Best I can suggest is give them a ring and see what they say. But does go to show black Friday isnt always the cheapest time of year.
Edited by: "talset" 10th Dec 2019
talset10/12/2019 09:14

I know Amazon sometimes do. But I doubt game will. 11 days is still a …I know Amazon sometimes do. But I doubt game will. 11 days is still a while for them. Best I can suggest is give them a ring and see what they say. But does go to show black Friday isnt always the cheapest time of year.

Amazon don't anymore, they tell you to return and re order 🙈
AMaky10/12/2019 09:22

Amazon don't anymore, they tell you to return and re order 🙈

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. 😁
talset10/12/2019 09:25

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. 😁

It's a bit bonkers.have been few similar comments.
It looks like the PS4 Pro has had a price cut across the board, it’s not just GAME that have reduced the prices but Argos and Currys also. I’m guessing that this is part of a promo by Sony themselves so it’s not really GAME’s fault or them deliberately trying to shaft you on the price. The best you can do is see if you can return the console under the returns policy and then buy another one at the lower price. But it’s just life though, sometimes products go on sale just after we’ve bought them, unless we’ve got a crystal ball there is always going to be an element of guesswork or luck when it comes to buying something.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 10th Dec 2019
Ask them they can only say no, start somewhere public like twitter. In all likelyhood it’ll be a no because they don’t have to but you won’t know until you ask.
Thanks everyone .. called them, they said that as it has been 'unboxed' it can't be returned. Obviously I dont want to return it I just want them to be 'fair' and give me the difference back.
Given the appalling experience with the TradeIn deal a few weeks ago at which point I recall it was £269, and the price going UP the following week, which held throughout Black Friday, until a few days later, when it goes back down ... I would say, don't ever trust Sony, and Game do not give a toss about customer satisfaction.
Very unhappy
Edited by: "chrizk" 10th Dec 2019
What's the return policy?

Cant you buy a new console for teh cheaper price, and the return the unopened console, using the older receipt?

Just depends on what Game's refund policy is, but if you can return the unopened one under the old reciept, that should work
chrizk10/12/2019 10:25

Thanks everyone .. called them, they said that as it has been 'unboxed' it …Thanks everyone .. called them, they said that as it has been 'unboxed' it can't be returned. Obviously I dont want to return it I just want them to be 'fair' and give me the difference back.Given the appalling experience with the TradeIn deal a few weeks ago at which point I recall it was £269, and the price going UP the following week, which held throughout Black Friday, until a few days later, when it goes back down ... I would say, don't ever trust Sony, and Game do not give a toss about customer satisfaction.Very unhappy

Game are shockingly bad for customer service.

I have had a terrible experience with them myself.
solid10/12/2019 10:30

What's the return policy?Cant you buy a new console for teh cheaper price, …What's the return policy?Cant you buy a new console for teh cheaper price, and the return the unopened console, using the older receipt?Just depends on what Game's refund policy is, but if you can return the unopened one under the old reciept, that should work

It was worth a shot. I didn't want to be 'underhand', and the store staff are nice people (they are customers too), so I asked them. They said the receipts are tied to serial numbers, so it cant be done ( I have checked, and the receipt does indeed have a serial number). Sony may be to blame for the Black Friday price rigging, but Game HQ are doing all they can to stop customers getting a fair price.
If you were happy with the price you paid on the day you got a "fair price".

If all you do is wait for prices to drop you'll never buy or enjoy anything.
emodan10/12/2019 10:55

If you were happy with the price you paid on the day you got a "fair …If you were happy with the price you paid on the day you got a "fair price".If all you do is wait for prices to drop you'll never buy or enjoy anything.

An interesting point of view, but I specifically waited for Black Friday in the expectation that it would be the lowest price for the foreseeable future. I think most people would agree that this is not only a poor customer experience, but it ultimately affects trust in the retailer. This is idiotic, high street retailers struggle anyway, so why 'annoy' them? (My sentiment has been self moderated).
chrizk10/12/2019 10:50

Sony may be to blame for the Black Friday price rigging, but Game HQ are …Sony may be to blame for the Black Friday price rigging, but Game HQ are doing all they can to stop customers getting a fair price.

GAME aren't "doing all they can to stop customers getting a fair price". That's a very unfair statement to make about them.

You went and bought a console. You were obviously happy at the time with the price you paid for it, and I'm sure you also shopped around to get the deal that you thought was right for you. You took the console home, played it, and enjoyed it. They have absolutely no obligation to refund you anything just because the price has since dropped, and they haven't done anything wrong either. They won't let you return the console because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and you've been using it. You are simply annoyed that the price has dropped since last week. But that's just the nature of retail, prices can go up and they can go down. All we can do is try and buy things when we see them at a price we think is fair or a good deal, and that's exactly what you did. Just enjoy your console and don't worry too much about the price drop, that's just how it is in life sometimes.
You aren't entitled to a refund if somewhere changes the price for something it's madness what people believe they're entitled to nowadays. Trust in the retailer and poor customer service? No it's a sense of entitlement from you. Prices change all the time. Sales can be rubbish. Such is life. Move on and enjoy your playstation.
Haircut_10010/12/2019 11:33

GAME aren't "doing all they can to stop customers getting a fair price". …GAME aren't "doing all they can to stop customers getting a fair price". That's a very unfair statement to make about them. You went and bought a console. You were obviously happy at the time with the price you paid for it, and I'm sure you also shopped around to get the deal that you thought was right for you. You took the console home, played it, and enjoyed it. They have absolutely no obligation to refund you anything just because the price has since dropped, and they haven't done anything wrong either. They won't let you return the console because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and you've been using it. You are simply annoyed that the price has dropped since last week. But that's just the nature of retail, prices can go up and they can go down. All we can do is try and buy things when we see them at a price we think is fair or a good deal, and that's exactly what you did. Just enjoy your console and don't worry too much about the price drop, that's just how it is in life sometimes.

How do edit a quote? My Android (Samsung) doesn't appear to let me. Are you using a PC?

Obviously this is a matter of opinion.
If more people think like me, Game high street will go the same way as many others, if they think as you do, maybe they will survive.
Time will tell.
chrizk10/12/2019 11:42

How do edit a quote? My Android (Samsung) doesn't appear to let me. Are …How do edit a quote? My Android (Samsung) doesn't appear to let me. Are you using a PC?Obviously this is a matter of opinion.If more people think like me, Game high street will go the same way as many others, if they think as you do, maybe they will survive.Time will tell.

I imagine they would go bust quicker if it was run by yourself and you refunded everyone after a price drop.
What's the limit 7 days, 14 days a month?

Retailers often have much less control over pricing than you seem to think as they have to pay for the unit and then make a profit to cover costs.

Not really a retailers fault if Sony lowered the unit price just before Christmas so that retailers can reduce pricing and still make a profit.
chrizk10/12/2019 11:42

How do edit a quote? My Android (Samsung) doesn't appear to let me. Are …How do edit a quote? My Android (Samsung) doesn't appear to let me. Are you using a PC?

Yes, on a PC once you've clicked on Quote you can then click on the quote itself to edit and trim it. I've tried on the iOS app and I don't think you can do it on that unfortunately.
Dannyrobbo10/12/2019 10:03

Ask them they can only say no, start somewhere public like twitter. In …Ask them they can only say no, start somewhere public like twitter. In all likelyhood it’ll be a no because they don’t have to but you won’t know until you ask.

I suggest not using a social media channel as the initial approach.

You have a better chance of a single refund from a retailer than enticing the "me too" movement when every reader of the post requests the same outcome.

Requesting this on a public forum in the first instance is likely to make GAME decline your suggestion immediately.

If they do reject your suggestion then of course post & let everybody know how unreasonable they are being.

That is how social media works, right?
chrizk10/12/2019 10:25

Thanks everyone .. called them, they said that as it has been 'unboxed' it …Thanks everyone .. called them, they said that as it has been 'unboxed' it can't be returned. Obviously I dont want to return it I just want them to be 'fair' and give me the difference back.Given the appalling experience with the TradeIn deal a few weeks ago at which point I recall it was £269, and the price going UP the following week, which held throughout Black Friday, until a few days later, when it goes back down ... I would say, don't ever trust Sony, and Game do not give a toss about customer satisfaction.Very unhappy

The trade in is like anything its first come first served, the same as any shop don’t have unlimited stock. Prices go down just the way it is you win some lose some, if the price had went up would you ring them up and offer the difference..

been well documented about Black Friday and sales not being the best time to buy...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 10th Dec 2019
myusernamehasgone23410/12/2019 10:31

Game are shockingly bad for customer service.I have had a terrible …Game are shockingly bad for customer service.I have had a terrible experience with them myself.

Whereas they (or, specifically, Louise in GAME's Customer Services team) went out of their (her) way to help me & members here in January 2011:

[ hotukdeals.com/com…712 ]
fanpages10/12/2019 12:13

Whereas they (or, specifically, Louise in GAME's Customer Services team) …Whereas they (or, specifically, Louise in GAME's Customer Services team) went out of their (her) way to help me & members here in January 2011:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/10315712 ]

Wish she’d helped me I ended up of pocket and took 5 trips back and forth to store as well as numerous phone calls.
You were happy with the price you paid. now you're simply jealous of other people.
That's it in a nutshell.
fanpages10/12/2019 12:05

I suggest not using a social media channel as the initial approach.You …I suggest not using a social media channel as the initial approach.You have a better chance of a single refund from a retailer than enticing the "me too" movement when every reader of the post requests the same outcome.Requesting this on a public forum in the first instance is likely to make GAME decline your suggestion immediately.If they do reject your suggestion then of course post & let everybody know how unreasonable they are being.That is how social media works, right?

you just have to be first the rest goes through direct messages or the say it’s not their policy then try another avenue.
I think the perception of whether service is good or not depends on whether they do anything above and beyond what is acceptable in law.
Many places are having to go to rule now because, quite frankly a lot of people extract the urine.
Most 'policies' are in addition to statutory rights; which actually don't cover a great deal apart from the expected such as faults etc.
If you don't like the additional polices then shop somewhere else.
fanpages10/12/2019 12:05

I suggest not using a social media channel as the initial approach....That …I suggest not using a social media channel as the initial approach....That is how social media works, right?

Actually, I wasn't expecting to get a resolution here, although I appreciate some of the helpful comments.
I posted this for one reason, highlighting to Game that their poor marketing is resulting in customer dissatisfaction.
It is intriguing to see some of the aggressive posts. I am not sure if the contributors have taken in the whole story, if they are simply sniping/tolling, or perhaps even Game employees or social media agents, employed to put a positive spin on a negative social media 'story'.
This will be my last post on the subject, which I will use it to answer the 'jealous' comment (and all those similar);
The point is, Game were selling at £269 prior to Black Friday, one week before, they increased to £299, and then advertised this as a Black Friday deal. A week or so later, they dropped the price back to £269.
This isn't jealousy, and TBH I can afford the £30 and will enjoy the PS4 Pro before it is outdated next year. However, on principle, I am annoyed how Game have 'repackaged' this so called deal. As someone above says, if you don't like it, go somewhere else ...being my point to Game (and other retailers who use the same tactics).

I haven't directly worked in retail, but it seems to me :-
A) Sony dictate price on a weekly basis, and Marketing at Game have to put up with the consequences.
B) The Supplier Relationship Manager at Game is terrible at their job
and what I think is more likely
C) Marketing and the Supplier Relationship managers (probably throughout the UK) work closely with Sony, with a short term objective to make as much money as possible, without considering the long term. Hey, employers and employees are not loyal anymore, so you only have to think of this years objectives and then move on (sounds like Government ...how topical).

Another interesting point being stock levels, given the lack of units sent to stores during the trade-in offer, and then the sudden availability immediately after. When consoles are launched, we often find the manufacturer can't keep up with demand, then we have to wait for them to be built, shipped and distributed. So, how did they suddenly reappear.? Personally, I expect Game have these in their warehouses, and they have paid a price per unit, which they sell when it suits them.

No more comments on the subject from me, but I may come back to see the sniping
chrizk10/12/2019 15:26

Actually, I wasn't expecting to get a resolution here, although I …Actually, I wasn't expecting to get a resolution here, although I appreciate some of the helpful comments.I posted this for one reason, highlighting to Game that their poor marketing is resulting in customer dissatisfaction.It is intriguing to see some of the aggressive posts. I am not sure if the contributors have taken in the whole story, if they are simply sniping/tolling, or perhaps even Game employees or social media agents, employed to put a positive spin on a negative social media 'story'.This will be my last post on the subject, which I will use it to answer the 'jealous' comment (and all those similar);The point is, Game were selling at £269 prior to Black Friday, one week before, they increased to £299, and then advertised this as a Black Friday deal. A week or so later, they dropped the price back to £269.This isn't jealousy, and TBH I can afford the £30 and will enjoy the PS4 Pro before it is outdated next year. However, on principle, I am annoyed how Game have 'repackaged' this so called deal. As someone above says, if you don't like it, go somewhere else ...being my point to Game (and other retailers who use the same tactics).I haven't directly worked in retail, but it seems to me :-A) Sony dictate price on a weekly basis, and Marketing at Game have to put up with the consequences.B) The Supplier Relationship Manager at Game is terrible at their joband what I think is more likelyC) Marketing and the Supplier Relationship managers (probably throughout the UK) work closely with Sony, with a short term objective to make as much money as possible, without considering the long term. Hey, employers and employees are not loyal anymore, so you only have to think of this years objectives and then move on (sounds like Government ...how topical).Another interesting point being stock levels, given the lack of units sent to stores during the trade-in offer, and then the sudden availability immediately after. When consoles are launched, we often find the manufacturer can't keep up with demand, then we have to wait for them to be built, shipped and distributed. So, how did they suddenly reappear.? Personally, I expect Game have these in their warehouses, and they have paid a price per unit, which they sell when it suits them.No more comments on the subject from me, but I may come back to see the sniping

I have not read this thread yet just OP.

I know exactly what you mean, they was hammering this offer I went out and bought a ps4 off facebook to trade in, the nearest 4 stores had no stock, everyday I rang checked online, the sales asistant told me they received 6 on the day the offer came out and none since, it was a complete scam getting people in shops and games name out there.

I was fuming, however what I did was went online and bought one for delivery, obvcourse they had plenty of these, when it came i took it back to the game and returned it, and then traded in my ps4 for the pro for then one i ''returned''. sales assistant was so happy he had a option to tell all the annoyed people they had in for the duration of the offer.

You could see the sign on the store assistant face when customers came in glum with there ps4 to trade in knowing they have to let them know the bad news that the company they work for are complete scamming liars
Edited by: "Gumbon" 11th Dec 2019
The real lesson here is stop trusting and waiting for Black Friday. Many on here (including myself) have been saying repeatedly that the sale across all retailers is a scam and prices are normally cheaper before AND after the event.

This isn’t the United States. We don’t get real Black Friday deals like they do anymore. Not since the first (second at a push) year it arrived on our shores.
Nope.......why would they?
fanpages11/12/2019 19:31

Cat... meet pigeons..."STARTS TOMORROW (12/12)! PS4 Pro £129.99 When You …Cat... meet pigeons..."STARTS TOMORROW (12/12)! PS4 Pro £129.99 When You Trade-in @ GAME" ( @dealsbyday )

39326953-8mWwf.jpg

Biddy211/12/2019 12:42

The real lesson here is stop trusting and waiting for Black Friday. Many …The real lesson here is stop trusting and waiting for Black Friday. Many on here (including myself) have been saying repeatedly that the sale across all retailers is a scam and prices are normally cheaper before AND after the event. This isn’t the United States. We don’t get real Black Friday deals like they do anymore. Not since the first (second at a push) year it arrived on our shores.

Absolutely, totally agree. When it first came here, it was quite exciting, and I spent a small fortune on Amazon. I have since learn't only to buy something I was planning to.
As others mention, only buy when you think it is a good price.
I must admit, I didn't think a retailer would even be allowed to put a price up before Black Friday, sell it as an offer, and then put it down immediately after. To me, that is insane, but I have definitely learnt a lesson.

Interesting that the "You don't work in retail", "Live with it", "Are you taking the P*" comments have died down.
The absolute worst scenario for retailers trying to stop a thread using passive aggressive 'closure comments', is the thread continuing, as it draws more attention to the negative points raised.
Of course, this is provoking them again ...but then again, that is the reason for me adding a post.
Keep it coming
Edited by: "chrizk" 12th Dec 2019
I admit I am a spy for Game who after being concerned that 14 people read this discussion concocted a plan with my other spy associates to passive aggressively suggest you should not complain. I also apologise if you construe from what I am saying that I am of the opinion that the world resolves around you and that all offers and prices should not be used to entice people to the business but to provide you with the cheapest possible price regardless of profits. I also apologise for my late response as the game spy's union demands we take one day rest for every 1000 forum posts we find.
jmilli212/12/2019 15:54

I admit I am a spy for Game who after being concerned that 14 people...

Hi, thanks for your response. I was expecting something a little less wordy, but another belittling comment was certainly expected.
Anyone else want to add to the retailers side?
Erudite10/12/2019 12:17

You were happy with the price you paid. now you're simply jealous of …You were happy with the price you paid. now you're simply jealous of other people.That's it in a nutshell.

I don't think jealous is the word, but I am miffed now! Currys PC World @ £249!! That is a bitter Black Friday lesson to be learnt.
Looks like the retailers aren't biting anymore, so this discussion has come to an end.

In summary
1) As @Biddy2 rightly says, don't be fooled by Black Friday.
I agree, it seemed genuine in the beginning, but is merely a con now that retail are having to discount all the time.

2) Don't be fooled that buying from the High Street will give you better customer service (at least, not with Game Store).
This is no a reflection on the staff, who I have found to be helpful and polite. It is is shame that the organisations have little respect for the customer, who will ultimately go elsewhere, spelling the end of the High Street.
Sure, I think it is a shame, but I am not prepared to pay more simply to sit in traffic, drive to an overpriced car park, and get nothing in return. Amazon can deliver to my door, thank you very much.

3) Hotukdeals influences sales. Posting any negative experience will attract points of view from all sides. The most prolific appear to be retail sympathisers who will belittle you and aggressively try to stop you from posting. To the real consumers out there, don't let them put you off. You will find that shops like Game will not interact with you, but maybe, someone is watching, with the chance that they might actually take notice of what you are saying.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed.
Have a great Christmas.
(at least I caught a few Flamedeer whilst being logged on, although only the white variety. Perhaps I need to use Facebook ...nah..)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants