Gamers Help required Xbox sea of thieves question

Found 20th Mar
I just bought a brand new copy of sea of thieves from CEX.

Sea of thieves (No DLC) Xbox one software

When buying I asked if I could put in the xbox and play they said yes.

However I just noticed on the box it says Xbox live gold required to play.

He doesn't have xbox live gold.

So is the game I've bought useless without it?

I'm useless with technology I bought him what I thought was a digital game yesterday only for him to spend all night trying to download only to discover it was an add on.

Do I need to return the game do you think?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Gaming
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Gaming
55 Comments
Well first off nothing in Cex is new, they only sell second hand goods. Second I believe sea of thief’s is an online game only so you do need a Xbox live. Lastly this game is free with a subscription of Game Pass (7.99 a month I believe and you get access to loads of games).
So if he doesn’t have Xbox live I would return it. I would also opt for the Game Pass instead of paying the full price.
Edited by: "bobac" 20th Mar
He will need live OP, take it back. Or get him live.
Original Poster
bobac7 m ago

Well first off nothing in Cex is new, they only sell second hand goods. …Well first off nothing in Cex is new, they only sell second hand goods. Second I believe sea of thief’s is an online game only so you do need a Xbox live. Lastly this game is free with a subscription of Game Pass (7.99 a month I believe and you get access to loads of games).So if he doesn’t have Xbox live I would return it. I would also opt for the Game Pass instead of paying the full price.

Its definitely sealed in the box new from CEX paid £45 had a voucher to use.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 20th Mar
Original Poster
Krooner2 m ago

He will need live OP, take it back. Or get him live.

Might take it back then.
I feel a bit miffed you need to pay extra in addition to buying the game. £45 doesn't seem cheap.
But miffed with CEX for not explaining it.
Original Poster
If I buy the game pass for £7.99 do you still need live?
Original Poster
sorry clearly I don't have clue.

Normally he gets disk or code and just plays the game. This is why i'm confused.
Original Poster
bobac2 m ago

For this game, yes

What is live for? I see its £34.99 for 12 months what are the benefits of it?
myusernamehasgone2341 m ago

What is live for? I see its £34.99 for 12 months what are the benefits of …What is live for? I see its £34.99 for 12 months what are the benefits of it?

How old is he?
Original Poster
myusernamehasgone2346 m ago

What is live for? I see its £34.99 for 12 months what are the benefits of …What is live for? I see its £34.99 for 12 months what are the benefits of it?

It allows online gameplay. So games which have multiplayer elements over an internet connection or are intended to be played online, such as this game, you need a live subscription in order to be able to use those features.
Edited by: "RossD89" 20th Mar
Original Poster
The game is a 12 but he's almost 12
myusernamehasgone2345 m ago

I think it's a online game take it back
Original Poster
I'm a bit miffed with CEX I said does he just put the game and play and they said yes.
Original Poster
Splice2 m ago

I think it's a online game take it back

Yes I think I will

I'm a bit miffed with CEX I said does he just put the game and play and …I'm a bit miffed with CEX I said does he just put the game and play and they said yes.

They probably assumed you had Xbox live
Edited by: "_Enzo_" 20th Mar
myusernamehasgone2342 m ago

Yes I think I will

Cex often times don’t really know what they are saying/may have been unsure of your question. My suggestion is take it back. There are shorter options for Xbox live (1,3,6,12 months).
myusernamehasgone23414 m ago

I think it probably time to let him have live, I'd imagine his friends have it? He's missing out on a large part of his social life without it.
Original Poster
Krooner5 m ago

I think it probably time to let him have live, I'd imagine his friends …I think it probably time to let him have live, I'd imagine his friends have it? He's missing out on a large part of his social life without it.

He’s never mentioned wanting it. Perhaps he is missing out.
myusernamehasgone2344 m ago

It's more fun with friends then on his own

Well my lad is 12, him and his friends make a lot of plans at school and meet up online.

It seems a bit alien to me I suppose, at 12 I was never in the house, but it's a huge thing now. His school friends won't be any different, from planing a Minecraft build, to deciding who's doing what role in an Overwatch six-man, it's the new normal.

Take the game back, get him a 12 month sub with the money instead, you'll get a month free on Gamepass and he can play Sea of Thieves on there.

don't age-restrict the account, it might seem like a good idea, but it causes headaches.
Edited by: "Krooner" 20th Mar
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the good advice
myusernamehasgone23415 m ago

He's going to want it soon so now is as good a time as any to get it. It will allow him to play online with his friends, hes getting to/already at the age where a lot of his friends will be doing this already.
As well as the online play, Live also gives you 4 free games a month which make it pretty much worth it for that alone.
It may be worth looking at xbox game pass too. Its 7.99 a month (first month free) but gives access to loads of games for free, including Sea of thieves so if you take it back and get the pass instead you have a good few months covered already.
Deaa9 m ago

He's going to want it soon so now is as good a time as any to get it. It …He's going to want it soon so now is as good a time as any to get it. It will allow him to play online with his friends, hes getting to/already at the age where a lot of his friends will be doing this already.As well as the online play, Live also gives you 4 free games a month which make it pretty much worth it for that alone.It may be worth looking at xbox game pass too. Its 7.99 a month (first month free) but gives access to loads of games for free, including Sea of thieves so if you take it back and get the pass instead you have a good few months covered already.

Actually if you register the account to a child (I.E. under 18) you lose access to the 360 BC games. The entire legacy architecture is blocked for under 18s, from avatar features to changing their gamer pic, if they're using an X1.

Not to mention some lobbies blocking under 14s from playing, and not telling you on the packaging. Once the age is set with MS it's locked and cannot be changed,, even with a linked parent account. I can't stress enough OP, start a new account, put his age as 18. I get you don't want him playing GTA 5 now, but when he's 15 or 16 and you maybe don't mind if he plays a more adult (18 rated) game, it will lock him out. No amount of winging on the phone to Microsoft will change it.
bobac1 h, 4 m ago

Well first off nothing in Cex is new, they only sell second hand goods...

Incorrect.
Krooner6 m ago

Actually if you register the account to a child (I.E. under 18) you lose …Actually if you register the account to a child (I.E. under 18) you lose access to the 360 BC games. The entire legacy architecture is blocked for under 18s, from avatar features to changing their gamer pic, if they're using an X1. Not to mention some lobbies blocking under 14s from playing, and not telling you on the packaging. Once the age is set with MS it's locked and cannot be changed,, even with a linked parent account. I can't stress enough OP, start a new account, put his age as 18. I get you don't want him playing GTA 5 now, but when he's 15 or 16 and you maybe don't mind if he plays a more adult (18 rated) game, it will lock him out. No amount of winging on the phone to Microsoft will change it.

That's a good tip!
fanpages4 m ago

Incorrect.

They don’t buy games from suppliers themselves, only from customers and are require to check them even when they are factory sealed. If the game is still sealed that means they didn’t check it when it was traded in which they are required to do
bobac2 m ago

They don’t buy games from suppliers themselves, only from customers and a …They don’t buy games from suppliers themselves, only from customers and are require to check them even when they are factory sealed. If the game is still sealed that means they didn’t check it when it was traded in which they are required to do

Regardless of a seal being broken, the item is still new.
If a seal is still intact, the item is still new.

Hence, not everything they sell is second-hand.
fanpages3 m ago

Regardless of a seal being broken, the item is still new.If a seal is …Regardless of a seal being broken, the item is still new.If a seal is still intact, the item is still new.Hence, not everything they sell is second-hand.

Sometimes, the depths of your pedantry astound me.
Original Poster
Just been on live chat with Xbox support regarding this and they said the game is playable without live.
Original Poster
The game only came out today it is in plastic shrink wrap it should be new
myusernamehasgone2341 m ago

The game only came out today it is in plastic shrink wrap it should be new

It is new then, but they are not allowed to take in a game without checking it (which involves opening it). Not that there will be something wrong with the game, it’s just their policy.
myusernamehasgone2344 m ago

Just been on live chat with Xbox support regarding this and they said the …Just been on live chat with Xbox support regarding this and they said the game is playable without live.

The game is populated by other players. While it might, technically, be playable offline, it would be akin to taking him to a funfair with no one else in it and only a third of the rides working.
Krooner5 m ago

Sometimes, the depths of your pedantry astound me.

There is a difference between being pedantic & highlighting an incorrect statement.

Hang on... that was a trap, wasn't it?
fanpages9 m ago

Regardless of a seal being broken, the item is still new.If a seal is …Regardless of a seal being broken, the item is still new.If a seal is still intact, the item is still new.Hence, not everything they sell is second-hand.

New -
A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in the original packaging

Like new-
A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed.

A game which no longer has a factory seal is not new regardless if it’s been played or not. Attitude like this is why people hate buying things online from Grainger and Game
Original Poster
Krooner1 m ago

The game is populated by other players. While it might, technically, be …The game is populated by other players. While it might, technically, be playable offline, it would be akin to taking him to a funfair with no one else in it and only a third of the rides working.

oh i see
fanpages1 m ago

There is a difference between being pedantic & highlighting an incorrect …There is a difference between being pedantic & highlighting an incorrect statement.Hang on... that was a trap, wasn't it?

It wasn't a trap, it was admiration.
bobac38 m ago

New - A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in the original …New - A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in the original packaging Like new-A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. A game which no longer has a factory seal is not new regardless if it’s been played or not. Attitude like this is why people hate buying things online from Grainger and Game

"New" / "brand-new" is not the term you used, so that is why I highlighted the inaccuracy.

"New & sealed"; I call this "new". I suspect you do too.
"New & unsealed" is something else. I would still call this "new" if it had never been used (or had not had a prior owner other that the manufacturer/distributor *).

Some manufacturers do not seal their games. They are still new.

What you said originally was "...they only sell second hand goods...".
As clearly pointed out above, they do, in fact, sell new & sealed items.

So regardless of (your quoted) definitions, & whether the policy states otherwise, examples in a "new (& sealed)" state are sold.
I have seen countless examples of sealed products on their shelves over the years.

Yes, thank you, I am aware of GAME's policy of separating the product box from the contents. I started a "Misc" Forum thread about "Purple stickers" (over Easter) years ago.

* PS. When GAME was going into Administration (the first time) & their lines of credit were in trouble, Sony Computer Entertainment stickered their products to state that they still belonged to the Sony. GAME would still separate the contents, but the actual items were never owned by GAME (or anybody other than the manufacturer/publisher).
Edited by: "fanpages" 20th Mar
myusernamehasgone2341 h, 37 m ago

^ PS. In case you are picked-up on this statement (as it crops-up from time-to-time).

The Pan European Gaming Information [PEGI] rating certification used by the UK on video/computer game titles is an advisory minimum age taking into account the content of the game.

If the retailer (in this case CeX) sold you the product with the prior knowledge that it was to be used by a person under that age, then they are breaking the law; not you.

You as a related party gifting the item (such as a parent/guardian/relative/friend) of the player are not doing anything unlawful (at present; until the law changes [again]).

It is at your discretion (as a parent/guardian) whether the game may be played, or not.
Get yourself Xbox live. More and more games are going all online. Best bet is to take the plunge and join us
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants