Games consoles and room temperature

Found 9th Sep 2017
I've recently started using my Wii U in the conservatory and plan on leaving it in there. Obviously it can get really cold at times, but can this do any harm to consoles?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

Generally no, the cold will help keep the consoles temperature down and stop it from getting to hot.

Original Poster

GonzoFK18 m ago

Generally no, the cold will help keep the consoles temperature down and …Generally no, the cold will help keep the consoles temperature down and stop it from getting to hot.

Even when not in use for weeks?

I don't think it will get cold enough to damage the console.

I've had a PS3 (for SKY Go) in my conservatory for a couple of years, never had a problem with it, I've always been more concerned by the heat as it can get very hot in there, in winter my bigger concerns have always been about dampness, condensation etc causing damage but as I've said no issues so far.

check the manual - it should give upper and lower temperature limits for operating/non operating conditions.

if there is a lot of condensation then it might be risky, otherwise i would imagine it would probably be ok

generally -25 and +60 when in "storage"

it'll be fine unless you live in Oymyakon, Russia

It's not the temperature that matters, it's change of temperature. Cold room and console housing, turn it in it gets hot, condensation forms inside and your console is toast...

A few years ago I used my pc and x360 in a conservatory, the damp caused a problem, neither would boot until I warmed the room temperature. My x360 still has cosmetic damage from damp (the silver on button, you can see where it settled).
All I'm saying is just be careful if it gets very cold in there.

Original Poster

dozstanford1 h, 13 m ago

How about a sleeping bag for the console, this is actually a laptop sleeve …How about a sleeping bag for the console, this is actually a laptop sleeve but it's big enough for the console. Zip it open, and just slide the console in without having to remove any cables from the rear....https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002R02J4G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1It's got a soft lining so shouldn't scratch the console plastics and the sleeve is very well padded with cellular neoprene (two or three times thicker than the Amazon Basics sleeves) so should prevent the console getting too cold and it's also waterproof

Thanks yeah, would it just slip over a Wii U then or would you have to place the console inside it?

Please ignore the majority of what you've read in this thread, OP.

Condensation isn't going to form inside your console unless it's colder than the air around it, which it won't be.
Leaving it on Standby/Sleep mode will generate a tiny amount of heat, which should stop any issues.

Also do NOT use your console (or any electrical device for that matter) in any form of sleeve.

Original Poster

dozstanford10th Sep

It's a sleeve, the zip only opens on one end/side, just open the zip, …It's a sleeve, the zip only opens on one end/side, just open the zip, lift the console at the back and insert the front of the console through the zip opening so that the cables at the back of the console protrude from the zip opening, you might be able to close the zip a little but I would leave it open so the it can breathe.I have a few of these sleeves as they (in my opinion) offer the best protection as they have some serious padding and I just checked and a PS3 and a PS4 fit inside (although not at the same time). It's worth noting the listing states the sleeve is 16" it's actually 17.3".

Thanks, that's a good idea. I might look for a slightly smaller one though as it's going to be for a Wii U. I obviously would take it off the console before using it though.

Erubadhron10th Sep

Please ignore the majority of what you've read in this thread, …Please ignore the majority of what you've read in this thread, OP.Condensation isn't going to form inside your console unless it's colder than the air around it, which it won't be.Leaving it on Standby/Sleep mode will generate a tiny amount of heat, which should stop any issues.Also do NOT use your console (or any electrical device for that matter) in any form of sleeve.

The housing will be colder than the air around it once the console is on and the hardware starts to warm up...

dcx_badass30 m ago

The housing will be colder than the air around it once the console is on …The housing will be colder than the air around it once the console is on and the hardware starts to warm up...

Read that back to yourself...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants