Games from Charity Shop with used Steam keys?

Found 12th Mar 2016
Hi all, long story short I bought some PC games from a charity shop that need to be activated on Steam. Having tried, it's obvious that the previous owner has already done this. Is there anything I can do or should I just take it as a lesson learned?

Not fussed about the back money as it goes to charity anyway, just didn't realise they needed Steam and could have been used already.

Thanks.
Community Updates
9 Comments
try messaging the developers
Original Poster
adam_holcombe

try messaging the developers

At Steam or the game company? They aren't the latest titles, Darksiders 2 and CoD MW2, so not really stressing over it, just fancied a blast on them
Yeah, the vast majority of PC games now have DRM (Steam, Origin etc), so the secondhand market for PC games is dead as the activation codes can only be used once.
Original Poster
Arcturas

Yeah, the vast majority of PC games now have DRM (Steam, Origin etc), so … Yeah, the vast majority of PC games now have DRM (Steam, Origin etc), so the secondhand market for PC games is dead as the activation codes can only be used once.

Aw, shame. Seems a waste to bin them but I don't think it's a good idea to donate them again and let someone else have the same issue. Thanks.
Just like you the people who work/volunteer at the Charity shop probably hadn't of even thought of Steam games being single use only, whether you return them or not is up to your financial circumstance/thoughts on it etc, but either way definitely make them aware of Steam games being single-use, not every one will look at it as a 'oh well lesson learned' so it could save them a bit of grief in the long run.

Steam definitely won't offer anything, but Activision (for the COD game) do have a live chat facility if you fancy chancing your luck and seeing what they say. support.activision.com/Con…IAH (need to change the ps4/cod waw selections at the top to the right game/platform with that link)

Edited by: "Gynx" 12th Mar 2016
Original Poster
Gynx

Just like you the people who work/volunteer at the Charity shop probably … Just like you the people who work/volunteer at the Charity shop probably hadn't of even thought of Steam games being single use only, whether you return them or not is up to your financial circumstance/thoughts on it etc, but either way definitely make them aware of Steam games being single-use, not every one will look at it as a 'oh well lesson learned' so it could save them a bit of grief in the long run.Steam definitely won't offer anything, but Activision (for the COD game) do have a live chat facility if you fancy chancing your luck and seeing what they say. https://support.activision.com/Contact_Us?p=4&w2cs=a0qU000000IMYqyIAH

Thanks for the info, I'll hang on to them and recycle the cases maybe. They only cost about £2 each and I won't take that back from a charity
Not at all sure how Steam works with that when you have the physical copy yourself - maybe (assuming the code is within your hands) if you provide proof via photo they will revoke the product from the account they are currently attached to and let you have them? Most likely not, but might not be a dead shot.
Original Poster
MisterTIBS

Not at all sure how Steam works with that when you have the physical copy … Not at all sure how Steam works with that when you have the physical copy yourself - maybe (assuming the code is within your hands) if you provide proof via photo they will revoke the product from the account they are currently attached to and let you have them? Most likely not, but might not be a dead shot.

Was tempted to try that as I've got the codes with the games. The receipt doesn't state what they are other than DVD though so I might struggle a bit.
Pretty much any PC game released in the last 10 to 15 years will be the same.
Everything apart from the product key is worthless and generally the key is single use or locked to a PC once activated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants