Groups

GAME's T&C' s for pre-orders... they can keep your deposit.

Was looking to see what was excluded from the 'trade two games and get an extra fiver' deal when I noticed this little gem.

4. If, having paid a deposit, you change your mind and cancel your order or fail to collect the console, software title or game which you have ordered within 12 months of its release date (which shall be deemed to be a cancellation), except where this is as a result of Our breach We reserve the right to retain a sum to cover Our expenses in dealing with the administration of your order and its cancellation as well as Our lost business resulting from your cancellation. In most cases this will amount to the value of the deposit and the deposit will be non–refundable. We may however at Our discretion allow you to transfer the deposit and apply it against purchase of a different product available in–store.

It may have always been like this, I know I've always transferred deposits onto a game card but I didn't know that technically they could keep my deposit as an admin fee...

13 Comments

that's how deposits normally work

Original Poster

mattmerch

That's how a non-refundable deposit works, I agree... I don't recall seeing any small print when I've pre-ordered at GAME. You might be different though.

Actually you are different - you once gave away an xbox...
    Edited by: "Flodd" 11th Mar

Banned

If you're going to pre order, just do it online, including their own site, or at another retailer who won't force a deposit.

Original Poster

Marcoos

If you're going to pre order, just do it online, including their own … If you're going to pre order, just do it online, including their own site, or at another retailer who won't force a deposit.

I think the writing might be on the wall for GAME... I use them sporadically (Amazon Prime means I usually get things cheaper as long as I plan ahead) but they haven't really changed tactics since the last time they very nearly went under.

Banned

Flodd

I think the writing might be on the wall for GAME... I use them … I think the writing might be on the wall for GAME... I use them sporadically (Amazon Prime means I usually get things cheaper as long as I plan ahead) but they haven't really changed tactics since the last time they very nearly went under.

Ditto, unless they have something reduced at a decent price. I just won't bother with them now.

well its called a deposit for a reason.
    Edited by: "catbeans" 11th Mar

I was pretty sure this was the point of a deposit . Although I wouldn't bother preordering unless it's a very limited edition or if I needed a Nintendo console for a child's bday (as you know they'll short stock it)

It's always prudent to ask any company about their refund policy before placing an order that requires a deposit, never assume!

For me, GAME is a last resort. It pains me when I am in there and see people openly being over sold.

mattmerch

Yeah, working as intended

I pre-ordered the new Zelda in Game several years ago when they were giving an additional £5 trade-in as deposit if you pre-ordered a game. I didn't bother picking Zelda up in the end as didn't really fancy paying £55 (after the deposit had been taken) for a Wii U game that was only £38 on Amazon. I assumed I'd lose the deposit (which was effectively free) but they put just £5 on a gift card for me. Not sure it was worth the hassle of having a pre-order with them for over 2 years but I can't really complain.

Edited by: "bernardsfingers" 11th Mar

well as Our lost business resulting from your cancellation.

They have that loss of business when they stopped price matching and charging an arm and a leg for games which can be had for upto 40% less online.

I suppose losing a fiver deposit on game/console they could potentially of held for you for 12 months would out weigh the depreciation.

I'd never pre order from game, i tend to use Amazon and maybe switch to game collection or simply games closer to release if they have it cheaper/earlier
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions