Groups
    EXPIRED

Gaming Desktop PC

My son has saved up £450-he wants a gaming desktop. He has the monitor/keyboard etc. He fancies this - Advent Centurion CPQ9104 - Gaming PC £450 from pcworld

Spec-
    AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core processor
    (2.3GHz, 2MB Cache)
    Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium
    4GB DDR2 memory
    640GB hard drive
    512MB ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics
    DVD Rewriter
    Built-in wireless (802.11b/g)

Would really appreciate any comments/advice/better deals?

Thank you in advance-will rep all helpers

20 Comments

For that price it seems pretty good, what is the motherboard?

tell your son to have a look at overclockers.co.uk or at **************

may have better prices and may get a better rig when building it individually,

may also save a bit of money for the future

try ebay loads of better on there never goto pc world ,currys or dixons your paying for ther overheads

Original Poster

SuperSambo;7404152

For that price it seems pretty good, what is the motherboard?

Not sure :oops: I'll ask him to check he's working tonight. Thanks for replying!

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972;7404318

try ebay loads of better on there never goto pc world ,currys or dixons … try ebay loads of better on there never goto pc world ,currys or dixons your paying for ther overheads

Thanks- should we look for business sellers? Knowing our luck we'd end up with a dud!:-D
    Should we just look for same spec?

Original Poster

Shazarda;7404253

tell your son to have a look at overclockers.co.uk or at … tell your son to have a look at overclockers.co.uk or at **************may have better prices and may get a better rig when building it individually, may also save a bit of money for the future

Will do- thanks :thumbsup:

Original Poster

BlackCloud;7404225

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=407888&Sku=165152Isnt that quite similar? No wireless.

Thanks I'll get him to look at that one-loads cheaper!

alisonfitz;7404398

Thanks I'll get him to look at that one-loads cheaper!

The cost of windows 7 (which for a gaming pc you will want over vista) will make them pretty much the same.

A 'gaming' PC with the slowest graphics card you can buy isn't a very good idea. At £450 without peripherals you should have a graphics card that sells for £70-80 or more separately, rather than the £25-£30 of the 4350.

Something like Cyberpowersystem's base ]AMD DDR3 model with an Athlon II X4 620 processor, 4GB of memory and a Radeon 4770, 4850 or Geforce GTS 250 is the sort of thing you want. Cyberpowersystems have a return to base warranty though, so as you don't have much knowledge of computers you might want to find somewhere selling a similar system with at least a collect and return warranty.

for a gaming pc he would need a better graphics card, ill look now an post a link in a bit

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;7404590

A 'gaming' PC with the slowest graphics card you can buy isn't a very … A 'gaming' PC with the slowest graphics card you can buy isn't a very good idea. At £450 without peripherals you should have a graphics card that sells for £70-80 or more separately, rather than the £25-£30 of the 4350.Something like Cyberpowersystem's base ]AMD DDR3 model with an Athlon II X4 620 processor, 4GB of memory and a Radeon 4770, 4850 or Geforce GTS 250 is the sort of thing you want. Cyberpowersystems have a return to base warranty though, so as you don't have much knowledge of computers you might want to find somewhere selling a similar system with at least a collect and return warranty.

I'll get him to take a look. He is just trying to buy the best he can find with the money he has got. All your advice is really appreciated!

Original Poster

benjefreys;7404646

for a gaming pc he would need a better graphics card, ill look now an … for a gaming pc he would need a better graphics card, ill look now an post a link in a bit

Thanks - that would be great!:thumbsup:

alisonfitz;7404760

Thanks - that would be great!:thumbsup:

ebuyer.com/pro…496

that would be the best i can find in a quick look

Processor

* Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300 2.5Ghz,
    * 4MB Cache

Memory

* 4GB DDR2 800MHz
    * Expandable to 4GB Max
    * Memory Slot: 2 x DIMM

Hard Drive

* 750GB (1x750GB) SATA 300
    * 16MB Cache

Optical Drive

* Super multi DVDRW

Software

* Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Display

* Monitor Not Included

Graphics

* nVIDIA® GeForce GTS250 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card

Audio

* 5.1 channel surround sound

Input Devices

* Keyboard and Mouse

Networking

* Network Interface: 10/100/1000 LAN, Realtek® RTL8111B

Power Supply

* 500W PSU

Dimensions

* Width 190mm
    * Depth 480mm
    * Height 360mm

Interfaces

* 1 set 5.1 channel Audio jacks (3 jacks)
    * 1 x PS/2 keyboard port
    * 1 x PS/2 mouse port
    * 1 x Parallel port
    * 1 x Serial port
    * 6 x USB 2.0 ports
    * 1 x RJ45 LAN port
    * 1 x VGA port
    * 1 x HDMI
    * 1 x DVI

Warranty

* This system features a 1 year return-to-base parts and labour manufacturer warranty.

Original Poster

benjefreys;7405455

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176496that would be the best i can find in … http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176496that would be the best i can find in a quick lookProcessor * Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300 2.5Ghz, * 4MB CacheMemory * 4GB DDR2 800MHz * Expandable to 4GB Max * Memory Slot: 2 x DIMMHard Drive * 750GB (1x750GB) SATA 300 * 16MB CacheOptical Drive * Super multi DVDRWSoftware * Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bitDisplay * Monitor Not IncludedGraphics * nVIDIA® GeForce GTS250 512MB DDR3 Graphics CardAudio * 5.1 channel surround soundInput Devices * Keyboard and MouseNetworking * Network Interface: 10/100/1000 LAN, Realtek® RTL8111BPower Supply * 500W PSUDimensions * Width 190mm * Depth 480mm * Height 360mmInterfaces * 1 set 5.1 channel Audio jacks (3 jacks) * 1 x PS/2 keyboard port * 1 x PS/2 mouse port * 1 x Parallel port * 1 x Serial port * 6 x USB 2.0 ports * 1 x RJ45 LAN port * 1 x VGA port * 1 x HDMI * 1 x DVIWarranty * This system features a 1 year return-to-base parts and labour manufacturer warranty.

Thanks for taking the time to help! I've repped everyone for your help! I'll get my son to read through all your posts.

alisonfitz;7405497

Thanks for taking the time to help! I've repped everyone for your help! … Thanks for taking the time to help! I've repped everyone for your help! I'll get my son to read through all your posts.

No problem, it is £30 over budget but it is generally a better PC

the old phenom processor aint the greatest in the first machine you posted they have released a phenom 2 new generation but for the money the intel quad is a good price

if your son has any questions let me know

Thanks

SuperSambo;7404471

The cost of windows 7 (which for a gaming pc you will want over vista) … The cost of windows 7 (which for a gaming pc you will want over vista) will make them pretty much the same.

...actually you get the windows 7 upgrade for £20

hotukdeals.com/ite…0-d

would be better deal as you could buy your own graphics card and you would be bang on budget and get a hd4870 /hd4850 for under £100

benjefreys;7406140

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/572480/medion-akoya-pc-x7330-dwould be … http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/572480/medion-akoya-pc-x7330-dwould be better deal as you could buy your own graphics card and you would be bang on budget and get a hd4870 /hd4850 for under £100

overheard 3r warranty too

benjefreys;7406140

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/572480/medion-akoya-pc-x7330-dwould be … http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/572480/medion-akoya-pc-x7330-dwould be better deal as you could buy your own graphics card and you would be bang on budget and get a hd4870 /hd4850 for under £100

You may well need to spend £40 on a new power supply as well.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1517
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions