Gaming in isolation - Full How-To on PS4, Xbox, Switch including guides for starters, free games and game sharing

Deal editor25
Posted 25th Mar
It's a crazy world out there at the moment with many of us stuck indoors isolating from the craziness outside. I've put together a few threads in the past in relation to gaming (subscriptions, free games, game sharing, etc) and I thought it might be a good idea to consolidate all of those into one, a quick guide reference if you like whilst we're all in need of the information we may seek.

It's quite a long, drawn out post, so if it is too much for you, please do feel free to quick link to one of the linked articles I've shared in the past

[Gaming subscriptions - the benefits and why you should consider them]
[Free to Play Games for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PSVR and Xbox One]
[How to game share on Xbox One between two consoles]
[How to game share on PlayStation 4 between two consoles]

As many of you will all ready be aware of, each console has its own paid subscription that allows players access to their online servers for multiplayer games. Each of the three consoles mentioned above (Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) all offer free games as part of your paid subscription.

Nintendo Switch

What are the benefits of Nintendo Switch Online?

• Online multiplayer
  • Access to NES and SNES classic games
  • Weekly eShop sales
  • Voice communication
  • Cloud saves

[3 months subscription - £5.85]
[365 Day subscription - £14.85]
[365 Day family subscription - £24.85]

Also see;

[SNES+ NES Games for Nintendo Switch Free with Nintendo Switch Online* Update 19.2.20 Mario, Yoshi, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox]

PlayStation Plus

What are the benefits of PS+?

• Two free games a month (see below)
  • Weekly PlayStation store discounts (see below)
  • Early access to upcoming games
  • Beta trials
  • 100 GB of internet storage space

[12 months PlayStation Plus - £41.99]

[This month's PlayStation Plus - Shadow of the Colossus and Sonic Forces]

Xbox Live Gold

What are the benefits of Xbox Live Gold?

• Free games each month with Games with Gold
  • Weekly digital discounts (Deals with Gold) on the Xbox Store
  • Access to online multiplayer
  • Free weekly trials*

[12 months Xbox Live Gold - £38.99]

[This month's Games with Gold - Batman: The Enemy Within, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 & Sonic Generations]

For more info and details on further gaming subsriptions such as EA Access and Xbox Game Pass - please click here

Popular free to play games.

Call of Duty: Warzone - (PC / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One)

Welcome to Warzone, the massive free-to-play combat arena from the world of Modern Warfare®. Join forces with your friends and jump into a battleground with up to 150 players.

Discover supply boxes and complete contracts to build your arsenal and gain a tactical advantage. Experience a new way to ‘Battle Royale’ or play ‘Plunder’ in a race to earn the most Cash in the match.

Fortnite Battle Royale - (PC / Nintendo Switch / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One)

Battle. Build. Create. Fortnite is the free, always evolving, multiplayer game where you and your friends battle to be the last one standing or collaborate to create your dream Fortnite world. Play both Battle Royale and Fortnite Creative for FREE. Download now and jump into the action. This download also gives you a path to purchase the Save the World co-op PvE campaign during early access.

Dota 2 - (Steam)

The most-played game on Steam.
Every day, millions of players worldwide enter battle as one of over a hundred Dota heroes. And no matter if it's their 10th hour of play or 1,000th, there's always something new to discover. With regular updates that ensure a constant evolution of gameplay, features, and heroes, Dota 2 has truly taken on a life of its own.

One Battlefield. Infinite Possibilities.
When it comes to diversity of heroes, abilities, and powerful items, Dota boasts an endless array—no two games are the same. Any hero can fill multiple roles, and there's an abundance of items to help meet the needs of each game. Dota doesn't provide limitations on how to play, it empowers you to express your own style.

Apex Legends - (PC / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One)

Conquer with character in Apex Legends, a free-to-play* Battle Royale shooter where legendary characters with powerful abilities team up to battle for fame and fortune on the fringes of the Frontier. Master an ever-growing roster of diverse legends, deep tactical squad play, and bold new innovations that level-up the Battle Royale experience—all within a rugged world where anything goes. Welcome to the next evolution of Battle Royale.

Destiny 2 - (PC / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One)

Dive into the free-to-play world of Destiny 2 to experience responsive first-person shooter combat, explore the mysteries of our solar system, and unleash elemental abilities against powerful enemies. Download today to create your Guardian and collect unique weapons, armor, and gear to customize your look and playstyle. Experience Destiny 2’s cinematic story alone or with friends, join other Guardians for challenging co-op missions, or compete against them in a variety of PvP modes. You decide your legend.

Dauntless - (Nintendo Switch / PC / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One)

Battle for survival at the edge of the world. As a Slayer, it's up to you to hunt down the boss-sized Behemoths that are devouring the land. Team up with millions of players as you master challenging co-op battles, craft deadly weapons and powerful armor, and forge your legend as a Slayer of Ramsgate.

Dauntless is a free-to-play online action RPG from Phoenix Labs. Look forward to regular updates, seasonal events, new Behemoths, and more in a rich, evolving world.

Below you will find free to play games with potential achievement / Gamerscore targets plus Metacritic scores.

Free to play Nintendo Switch games

Free to play PlayStation 4 games

Free to play Xbox One games

Check out the full list of free to play Xbox One games in the Free to Play Games for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PSVR and Xbox One thread.

Gaming isn't cheap, but it's possible to split the price of digital games between two when you're game sharing. Take one game, split the price 50% and everybody is a winner.

Here's a quick guide on how to do this on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

PlayStation 4

3427383.jpg
For the walkthrough of game sharing on a PlayStation 4 console, we'll assume you're at a friends house and you want to play your games library on their console.

Start by logging into your account on your friends PS4 console by using the 'Add User' feature on the PlayStation console. To see this feature, you will need to log out of any accounts currently logged into the system.

Once the new user account has been logged onto the system and the PlayStation Network you need access the settings tab on the consoles main menu, this can be accessed by pressing the Dualshock controllers 'X' button.

Settings menu
3427383.jpg
On the next screen you will see a list of settings options available to you. Scroll on down to the 'Account Management' option and again press the 'X' button on the Dualshock controller.

Settings
3427383.jpg
The following screen will give you various account management options on the PS4 console, scroll down again until you get to 'Activate as Your Primary PS4' and hit the 'X' button.

Activate as your primary PS4 console
3427383.jpg
We're now just one step away from access of your friends (or family members) entire PS4 digital library! Once you've jumped onto the 'Activate as Your Primary PS4' screen, simply hit 'Activate' and you're all set and good to go.

Activate
3427383.jpg
Your account is now fully accessible to your friend on their PlayStation 4, allowing you to play all the digital games you own on their console.

Assuming your friend wishes to return the favour, simply follow the above instructions on your console with their account. Now you can both enjoy cheap digital game sharing and enjoy each others PlayStation 4 digital library.

Please note: Game sharing could possibly be a violation of the PlayStation code of conduct.

Xbox One

For the benefit of this walkthrough, we are going to assume that you are attempting to add your Xbox Live account to your friends console at their house.

Sign In
3427383.jpg
To start, you will need to navigate your Xbox home screen to the user menu located on the left of the Xbox tile menu, on the top left hand side you will find the 'Sign In' tab option.

Navigate your controller to '+ Add new' and press 'A' on your Xbox controller. From here you need to sign in with your Microsoft account to add your Xbox profile to your friends Xbox console.

Personalisation
3427383.jpg
Now you must associate your friend or family member's Xbox console as your 'Home Xbox'. To do this you need to head to the settings section on your Xbox One console and select the 'Personalisation' option before then navigating to the 'My Home Xbox' menu selection.

My Home Xbox
3427383.jpg
Once in the 'My Home Xbox' menu, simply click the 'Make this my home Xbox' option to register your account to that device.

It's as simple as that. Once completed head on over to the 'My Games and Apps' option on your Xbox One console to see all the games and apps available to you, including your own and your family member or friends content.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
40185048-pS094.jpg
Me and the missus are doing co op on the division 2 it’s our real world simulator
25 Comments
Awesome. Thank you.
Fantastic post Buzz - thanks!

I've been exploring some options for virtual social gatherings for non-gamers this week and discovered Houseparty - it supports 8 people via Android, iOS, Mac and Chrome browser and features a few party games

A few people have suggested fun party games like Jackbox, with the host screen broadcast over Twitch/Discord/YouTube/Facebook/PSN/XBL so I might give that a go too
BubaMan25/03/2020 13:29

Fantastic post Buzz - thanks!I've been exploring some options for virtual …Fantastic post Buzz - thanks!I've been exploring some options for virtual social gatherings for non-gamers this week and discovered Houseparty - it supports 8 people via Android, iOS, Mac and Chrome browser and features a few party games A few people have suggested fun party games like Jackbox, with the host screen broadcast over Twitch/Discord/YouTube/Facebook/PSN/XBL so I might give that a go too

I'm still not past the stage of using the isolation to actually take a breather from the family But when I do, I'll definitely take a look at that, so thank you for the heads up.

In terms of gaming, I've been social isolating for what seems forever now. I'm still to try CoD: Warzone and haven't played FIFA online in what feels like forever! Damn you The Witcher 3 and Stardew Valley
BuzzDuraband25/03/2020 13:34

I'm still not past the stage of using the isolation to actually take a …I'm still not past the stage of using the isolation to actually take a breather from the family But when I do, I'll definitely take a look at that, so thank you for the heads up.In terms of gaming, I've been social isolating for what seems forever now. I'm still to try CoD: Warzone and haven't played FIFA online in what feels like forever! Damn you The Witcher 3 and Stardew Valley

Silver linings
I must say, I love that I have been upgraded from "lazy b*gger" to "responsible adult" by staying at home and watching TV / gaming this week
I've been training for this responsibility for a very long time!
Edited by: "BubaMan" 25th Mar
Fantastic post buzz. Just started playing Xbone again and though I loved PUBG, find that I'm so far behind other players now (maybe it's the cross platform play, or the hackers) that I find it more frustrating than enjoyable. I personally prefer first or third person shooters, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
I come from 10 years playing World of Warcraft ,mmporpg, and measure them all against that unfortunately.
40185048-pS094.jpg
Me and the missus are doing co op on the division 2 it’s our real world simulator
Warzone plunder is where it's at for me, throw in a little pes2020 for my football fix.
Tempted with half-life alyx this week though.
Fable Fortune, Happy Dungeons, Hand of the Gods, Invokers Tournament and Orcs Must Die! Unchained no longer exist.
Does anyone have a free delivery code to use on Game website please?
JumpMan198025/03/2020 17:56

Does anyone have a free delivery code to use on Game website please?

There aren't any. Either you meet the free delivery threshold or you pay.
.Yoshimitsu.25/03/2020 17:49

Fable Fortune, Happy Dungeons, Hand of the Gods, Invokers Tournament and …Fable Fortune, Happy Dungeons, Hand of the Gods, Invokers Tournament and Orcs Must Die! Unchained no longer exist.

Thanks for this mate - I've removed them all

Illusionary25/03/2020 19:01

There aren't any. Either you meet the free delivery threshold or you pay.

I'm not even sure there is a threshold at the minute. Everything seems to carry a £4.99 carriage charge
Brilliant
A lot of effort to help those who may be going a bit stir crazy by now!

Not needed for me but thank you anyway!
@BuzzDuraband hope you don't mind me making a little extra work for you Included below are free games on Xbox One missing from your list...

3on3 FreeStyle
A KING'S TALE: FINAL FANTASY XV
Armored Warfare
Bless Unleashed
Call of Duty: Warzone
Cuisine Royale
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round: Core Fighters
DEAD OR ALIVE 6: Core Fighters
eFootball PES 2020 Lite
Fishing Planet
Galaxy Control: Arena
Growtopia
HITMAN 2 - Free Starter Pack
Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
Insects: An Xbox One X Enhanced Experience
King's Quest
Korgan
Life Is Strange
Minion Masters
RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2
TERA
The Council - Episode 1: The Mad Ones
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
Vigor
Virtual Villagers Origins 2 Xbox
Warface
War Thunder
Zaccaria Pinball
Awesome thread - and I know I am repeating myself here, however I know of 3 games on the Playstation 4 that can be played in online multiplayer mode without the need of a subscription (provided of course your console has an internet connection!)

Call of Duty:Warzone, free to download, Battle Royale & Plunder modes are free to play online without a subscription!
Fortnite, free to download, Battle Royale mode free to play online without a subscription!
Planetside 2, free to download, free to play online without a subscription!

Worth mentioning that you can claim a free 14 day subscription with each new online account.
.Yoshimitsu.27/03/2020 00:31

@BuzzDuraband hope you don't mind me making a little extra work for you …@BuzzDuraband hope you don't mind me making a little extra work for you Included below are free games on Xbox One missing from your list...3on3 FreeStyleA KING'S TALE: FINAL FANTASY XVArmored Warfare Bless Unleashed Call of Duty: Warzone Cuisine RoyaleDEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round: Core Fighters DEAD OR ALIVE 6: Core Fighters eFootball PES 2020 LiteFishing Planet Galaxy Control: ArenaGrowtopia HITMAN 2 - Free Starter PackIdle Champions of the Forgotten RealmsInsects: An Xbox One X Enhanced ExperienceKing's Quest KorganLife Is StrangeMinion Masters RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2TERA The Council - Episode 1: The Mad OnesThe Walking Dead: A New FrontierVigor Virtual Villagers Origins 2 Xbox WarfaceWar ThunderZaccaria Pinball

What conditions are required to obtain these free? Do you need an active Gold account?
aLV42627/03/2020 00:50

What conditions are required to obtain these free? Do you need an active …What conditions are required to obtain these free? Do you need an active Gold account?

Gold only required for the online multiplayer games the likes of Apex Legends or Vigor. Don't think it is needed for the likes of Fallout Shelter or single player in Killer Instinct.
PS plus can be purchased cheaper that stated above.

What about PS Now?
You didn't mention Stadia, could be great for anyone new to gaming, particularly as there is probably still some free codes to get Pro for 3 months. I was quite critical of Stadia at first, entirely due to the prices of the games but recently they've done some great offers so I would recommend it.
I'm tempted by PlayStation Now to get me through the coming weeks if anyone knows of a good deal.
Cracking post Buzz!
I would welcome any game tips for a 10yo boy on an Xbox One beyond Fortnight (I know), Minecraft, Human Fall Flat. I don't mind him playing age 12 games but it would be good to nudge him and his friends away from Fortnite... (bad dad).
Didn't see it mentioned so apologies if I'm wrong, but Gamepass should get s mention, some great deals to be found on here for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which is both Game Pass and Gold.
neversay27/03/2020 13:42

I would welcome any game tips for a 10yo boy on an Xbox One beyond …I would welcome any game tips for a 10yo boy on an Xbox One beyond Fortnight (I know), Minecraft, Human Fall Flat. I don't mind him playing age 12 games but it would be good to nudge him and his friends away from Fortnite... (bad dad).

Human fall flat. Play as local co-op and throw each other over a cliff etc. Never die. Great fun.
neversay27/03/2020 13:42

I would welcome any game tips for a 10yo boy on an Xbox One beyond …I would welcome any game tips for a 10yo boy on an Xbox One beyond Fortnight (I know), Minecraft, Human Fall Flat. I don't mind him playing age 12 games but it would be good to nudge him and his friends away from Fortnite... (bad dad).

Happy Wars and ROBLOX are two of the most popular games for young ones and exclusive to the Xbox console.
Enjoy it whilst you still can.

Dog walkers now viewed like potential killers,

Online gamers will soon be viewed as bandwidth thieves,destroying the Global economy.Denying those that need the internet working from home.
Edited by: "Billy.Farrar" 28th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants