Gaming laptop?

Found 20th Sep 2012
Hi

Have friend at work with an 11 year old son and she is planning to get a laptop soon - she said her son has been asking to make sure it is good so he can use it for games

Now i see on here all the time laptops saying "not good for gamers" and honestly i'm not sure what they need as i'm not a gamer myself, and neither is she!

He doesnt have any games at the moment as she has an old desktop being replaced

She has a budget of £500 - £700 so really any help on what you really need in a laptop for it to be able to cope with the games out at the moment would be very helpful!!
Community Updates
MiscLaptop
19 Comments
By a normal spec-ed laptop for browsing etc and get the kid a console with the change. Sorted.
Just asked her this and he has an Xbox he can play already - seems keen on the idea of games for laptops - are there really loads just for these you cant get on things like xbox then?
£700 laptop for an 11 year old?

I spent £400 on mine and pretty confident it will see me through uni as well as manage any games I want to play. Currently I play Skyrim on high no problem.
JoshJoshJosh

£700 laptop for an 11 year old?I spent £400 on mine and pretty confident i … £700 laptop for an 11 year old?I spent £400 on mine and pretty confident it will see me through uni as well as manage any games I want to play. Currently I play Skyrim on high no problem.

you get a dell outlet one?

as i struggle to think you will find a new laptop for £400 that can play skyrim on high settings without melting into a liquid through overheating...

what more can a gaming laptop offer over console at his age.. warcraft? wouldnt give them the opportunity personally
N1K0LAI_DAN7E

you get a dell outlet one? as i struggle to think you will find a new … you get a dell outlet one? as i struggle to think you will find a new laptop for £400 that can play skyrim on high settings without melting into a liquid through overheating...what more can a gaming laptop offer over console at his age.. warcraft? wouldnt give them the opportunity personally

No this: http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ACER-V3-551-84504G50-Laptop/305002

AMD APU's are vastly underrated. I have the high res texture pack and 2x or 4x AA as well, runs fine at native resolution. I think people tend to study benchmarks too much, from my experience of this laptop, the benchmarks are certainly too harsh.

I often play for extended periods on my lap and whilst the temperature does increase it is by no means melting.
No way would I spend £700 on a laptop for an 11 year old. He'd probably destroy it in no time. And I doubt he needs a gaming laptop anyway. I think he should just stick with the console for gaming and get a cheaper laptop.
I would also suggest she tries to get a bit more savvy about these things or she'll be chucking money down the drain for years to come on things he needs.
He'll probably only use it for habbo and moshi monsters anyway!
JoshJoshJosh

No this: … No this: http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ACER-V3-551-84504G50-Laptop/305002AMD APU's are vastly underrated. I have the high res texture pack and 2x or 4x AA as well, runs fine at native resolution. I think people tend to study benchmarks too much, from my experience of this laptop, the benchmarks are certainly too harsh.I often play for extended periods on my lap and whilst the temperature does increase it is by no means melting.

HAHAHA, ****.

Heres a review of the same APU in a HP laptop.

Graphical Settings: High (with a few things lowered down and anti-aliasing off), 1366 x 768 (native)

FPS Range : 35-45

Now with both the GPUs going:

Graphical Settings: High (with a few things lowered down and anti-aliasing off), 1366 x 768 (native)

FPS Range :35-40

There is a noticeable trace of micro stuttering coming from the dual GPU setup

Now if you was using the laptop you linked with the AA you claim, you would be in the 10-15fps range and stuttering all the time. (and thats in a 720 res for god sake).

Cheap laptops don't make good gaming machines.

olympians

HAHAHA, ****.Heres a review of the same APU in a HP laptop.Graphical … HAHAHA, ****.Heres a review of the same APU in a HP laptop.Graphical Settings: High (with a few things lowered down and anti-aliasing off), 1366 x 768 (native)FPS Range : 35-45Now with both the GPUs going:Graphical Settings: High (with a few things lowered down and anti-aliasing off), 1366 x 768 (native)FPS Range :35-40There is a noticeable trace of micro stuttering coming from the dual GPU setupNow if you was using the laptop you linked with the AA you claim, you would be in the 10-15fps range and stuttering all the time. (and thats in a 720 res for god sake).Cheap laptops don't make good gaming machines.

my recently bought acer 5560g plays anything i throw at it on high, it cost me £309 + i got an extra 4gb ram stick sent for free

no longer available at that price but can be had for a bit more

hotukdeals.com/dea…492
Packard Bell TS11 AMD Quad Core 15.6" Gaming Laptop.

£299.96 del. Item number: 221127254027
Boogie83e

Packard Bell TS11 AMD Quad Core 15.6" Gaming Laptop. :|£299.96 del. Item … Packard Bell TS11 AMD Quad Core 15.6" Gaming Laptop. :|£299.96 del. Item number: 221127254027

exactly the same spec as my acer
dataload

my recently bought acer 5560g plays anything i throw at it on high, it … my recently bought acer 5560g plays anything i throw at it on high, it cost me £309 + i got an extra 4gb ram stick sent for freeno longer available at that price but can be had for a bit morehttp://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/acer-aspire-5560g-amd-quad-core-15-6-gaming-laptop-1gb-graphics-4gb-ram-8gb-max-1305492

Thats a very decent laptop which is usually £550+ for that spec (Most versions of that model still available contain a weaker GPU than the 7670m you was lucky enough to get in what was a cracking deal).

Although: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M.69483.0.html

(the benchmarks are at the bottom)

Don't think thats going to tackle anything anyone wanted to play in high unless you want to play in sub 30 fps. (except diablo, which like its brother WoW plays rediculously well on lower end GPUs)
Basically a 7870m or equivilant Nvidia gpu is needed in a laptop to play modern games in high with a good fps and the possibility of enabling AA.

But to be honest to answer the thread at hand, I'd go with what others have said and buy a console for the kid and an all round laptop for the £500 area.
Yes olympians cause I have reason to lie. Stfu.
Get an Asus Repubic of gamers latop from the USA via ebay, cost me around £700 imported. RRP in the UK at the time was around £1500. I did get the seller to declare a lower value so I could avoid the government scrounging tax from me.

i7
GTX 460M
8GB Ram
spaceinvader

Get an Asus Repubic of gamers latop from the USA via ebay, cost me around … Get an Asus Repubic of gamers latop from the USA via ebay, cost me around £700 imported. RRP in the UK at the time was around £1500. I did get the seller to declare a lower value so I could avoid the government scrounging tax from me.i7GTX 460M8GB Ram

Actually this guy has a good idea ^
olympians

Actually this guy has a good idea ^

Completely contradicts what you just advised previously though? No need to spend £700 on a laptop for an 11 year old.
Its not just for the kid though, she will use it as well so not spending £700 on him only!!

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice, will have a word with her later
I have an aging Dell SXPS 1647 and that can handle whatever I throw at it, just not at it's native 1080p resolution lol. I want an Alienware m14x if I'm honest but I think I'll just keep running my Dell and build a gaming rig, which is vastly cheaper and would be much more powerful.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants