Groups

Gaming laptop advice please

Hello

I am hoping that someone can help me with my search for a gaming laptop.

I was really looking to spend a maximum of £1000 if possible and the best I have come across is just over that at £1019 from here:

http://www.medion.com/gb/shop/gaming-laptops-medion-erazer-x7843-17-3-high-performance-gaming-laptop-130020268.html?category=gamer_notebooks&gclid=CJrz-Yi049MCFQEG0woddqcOAw#specification

This is basically the spec I was looking for but my issues are that I don't know much about laptop brands so I have no idea what MEDION are like, also it doesn't state what rpm the hdd is and also the battery life is only 4h which doesn't seem very good to me, is this quite standard nowadays?

Do you think this looks a good option for a gaming laptop or could anyone recommend alternative options with this type of spec?

I might not play the latest games on it, at least not right as they are released, but I would like to be able to run them on at least medium settings if required, I am also looking to play some older games like crysis, HL2 and skyrim (with mods).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12 Comments

Good laptop go for it mate

Don't worry about the rpm as a slower drive speed is normally quieter and cooler. If you want the speed bump then go for a SSD.

My son has an MSI GL72 7QF which he bought from a company called Scan and he loves it. I cannot recommend Medion as I bought a basic laptop off them in February from a deal I saw on here actually and it has developed a minor fault and they want £66 to fix it even though it should be done under warranty which I am in dispute with them, they have had it over 5 weeks now and do not communicate with you, terrible customer service.

Hi OP,
    I've been on the same hunt for a while with a little larger budget than you, I have a whole excel chart in work. So if you give me till tomorrow I can give you more info.

However Dell Outlet has a few decent machine's sub £1000 which will match this machine, Alienware. A better more known brand than Medion.

See what you think, this one is scratched/dented. I don't know to what extent. However it has this generations processor and GPU. The i7 7700HQ and a 6GB 1060.

Might be worth a think, of course refurbs aren't everyone's cup of tea.

m.dell.com/h5/…53d

I urge everyone to make sure they have extended warranty on laptops, especially more than £500. If it craps out after a year, you're left with a whole lot out of pocket

Check the dell outlet. Or amazon warehouse (extra 20% of currently) and they have some decent msi ones in stock

Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the replies!

Cassie, that doesn't sound too good regarding Medion, I have also had trouble finding reviews for this laptop as they seem to be a German company and any information I have found was in German or broken English.

Drnkbeer, that sounds great thanks I would be interested to see your spreadsheet, however I think I would be wary of anything damaged or refurbed, knowing my luck it would pack up shortly after buying it

I could maybe stretch to £1200 for my budget if that helps my options but definitely not past that (it seems to go up the more I search!)

Chris_84

Drnkbeer, that sounds great thanks I would be interested to see your … Drnkbeer, that sounds great thanks I would be interested to see your spreadsheet, however I think I would be wary of anything damaged or refurbed, knowing my luck it would pack up shortly after buying it :pI could maybe stretch to £1200 for my budget if that helps my options but definitely not past that (it seems to go up the more I search!)

Medion are the tech company that Aldi stocks items from, so yes German origin.

Well don't dismiss it out of hand, refurbished items can usually mean a brilliant bargain, you get more bang for your buck and you can also more warranty from Dell. Most refurbished items are customer returns which have been done up by the manufacturer. So usually no difference in quality.

Haha I noticed that as well, the way I figure it, if you are going to make a big purchase like this, I'd always try and get as much as possible and set a max hard limit. I figured even if you overspend now you'll regret it less in the future. I'll see what suits your budget tomorrow and will either message on here or PM you
    Edited by: "drnkbeer" 10th May

Original Poster

Thanks Drnkbeer

That's what I always try to do, get the best I can get even if it means I overspend a bit as I like to buy something that will last me a number of years, rather than going the cheaper route and replacing it in a year or two.

To everyone, Is there any consensus on what laptop brands are the best to get for a gaming laptop? Quality wise, reliability etc.

I seem to see negative comments about most of the brands when searching online so I'm not sure who is best to look for.

Thanks!

If you are looking to spend that much I would recommend getting a machine with at least a 10 series graphics card.

Might be worth looking if you can find a laptop with a 1060 for around £1000 ish (although may be closer to £1200), as it ill outperform the 980m.

Original Poster

Hello

Thank you both for your replies, I have been looking at the 1060s and most seem to be around £1300.

I actually found this medion laptop with a 1070 8gb for £1299.97!

saveonlaptops.co.uk/300…tml

But again it is a medion so I'm not sure about that, perhaps it is that price for a reason.

I have also seen these which look like good offers but I don't know what the screens are like for example (I see lots of comments on here about screen quality) or which brand is best to go for :

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-179B11-054-MSI-GE72VR-6RF(Apache-Pro)-054UK_2013817.html

saveonlaptops.co.uk/GL7…tml

saveonlaptops.co.uk/1DL…tml

Any advice would be appreciated
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cracked windscreen, is it safe and legal to drive?1319
      2. CAR QUESTION: Difference Between Lexus IS300 and Lexus IS300h?715
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?44
      4. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?813

See more discussions