Groups

[Gaming] Nintendo Discontinues Production Of NES Classic Edition

After selling over 1.5 million NES Classic Editions and still being unable to keep up with demand, Nintendo has discontinued production of the NES Classic, a Nintendo representative confirmed to Game Informer today.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Ew6xfQYGgMpQPII6-71N0GlCl9c=/0x0:1920x1280/1720x1147/filters:focal(807x487:1113x793)/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/54244139/IMG_1544.0.0.jpg

Throughout April, [Nintendo of America] territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year," the representative said in a statement. "We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.

NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans

Along with the NES Classic Edition systems, Nintendo will also discontinue the NES Classic Controller

I guess this means eBay sellers will be upping prices 5 fold and other places are going to skyrocket prices if they get anymore stock

Sources:
    -gameinformer.com/b/n…spx
    -polygon.com/201…ued

29 Comments

They had these readily available in Nintendo World NYC, wish I picked one up.

Seems a bit odd considering it's such a cash cow. Not good business sense at all.

I will never understand how the Nintendo management think - I guess the only thing they were looking at was it might be competition for the virtual console on Switch.

Original Poster

waynester21

Seems a bit odd considering it's such a cash cow. Not good business sense … Seems a bit odd considering it's such a cash cow. Not good business sense at all.

This is what the plan all along, according to Nintendo in a statement to IGN.

NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. H … NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans

Edited by: "nathan3007" 13th Apr

Is this the nes mini they just brought out?

oops sold mine for £80 not long ago might be worth a lot more in near future

ame2607

That depends on how you interpret "just" - it was launched late last year.

Original Poster

ame2607

November last year if my memory serves me right

i wasnt aware they recently brought a new version out

westy90

oops sold mine for £80 not long ago might be worth a lot more in near … oops sold mine for £80 not long ago might be worth a lot more in near future

​yeah me too... wasn't as good as I remembered the old NES being and thought Mario 1 was only game worth playing

waynester21

Seems a bit odd considering it's such a cash cow. Not good business sense … Seems a bit odd considering it's such a cash cow. Not good business sense at all.

Typical Nintendo.

They tested the market, the market lapped it up.

Discontinue, then re-release next year, a console that has its own "nintendo" marketplace ala the appstores on phones filled with nintendo roms. nes/sne/n64

People will lap it up even harder.

Banned

benjammin316

They tested the market, the market lapped it up.Discontinue, then … They tested the market, the market lapped it up.Discontinue, then re-release next year, a console that has its own "nintendo" marketplace ala the appstores on phones filled with nintendo roms. nes/sne/n64People will lap it up even harder.

The Switch

I'm not really surprised by this. It's clear they want to keep the focus on the Switch. If people were thinking of buying this then maybe some wouldn't be thinking about buying the Switch. Another thing I was thinking about, isn't Nintendo giving online subscribers some NES games for the Switch every month? People would have less reasons to pay for that online if they already own the game on this NES Classic so by discontinuing this, we would be paying that online subscription to play those games for "free". While this contains 30 games (did I get that correct?), the online subscription would be one game a month making it 12 in a year, so maybe this way is better for them in the long run. Just my take on it.

Marcoos

The Switch

No one wants one of those.

Banned

benjammin316

No one wants one of those.

Clearly

Banned

CoolDude0123

I'm not really surprised by this. It's clear they want to keep the focus … I'm not really surprised by this. It's clear they want to keep the focus on the Switch. If people were thinking of buying this then maybe some wouldn't be thinking about buying the Switch. Another thing I was thinking about, isn't Nintendo giving online subscribers some NES games for the Switch every month? People would have less reasons to pay for that online if they already own the game on this NES Classic so by discontinuing this, we would be paying that online subscription to play those games for "free". While this contains 30 games (did I get that correct?), the online subscription would be one game a month making it 12 in a year, so maybe this way is better for them in the long run. Just my take on it.

That's exactly it, ensure they can push the Switch VC as much as possible.

If you're an online subscriber you will get a NES and I think SNES game to rent for a month. The game will change every month. You don't get to keep it, unless you fork out (again)

Marcoos

That's exactly it, ensure they can push the Switch VC as much as … That's exactly it, ensure they can push the Switch VC as much as possible. If you're an online subscriber you will get a NES and I think SNES game to rent for a month. The game will change every month. You don't get to keep it, unless you fork out (again)

Its mental. People will pay for these old games again. Nintendo should have delayed the switch and launched with at e3 with an online store bursting with games, from all their consoles. 3 for £5 deals etc, it's like they don't like money. Wtf

They'll do a SNES version Shirley?

Banned

benjammin316

Its mental. People will pay for these old games again. Nintendo should … Its mental. People will pay for these old games again. Nintendo should have delayed the switch and launched with at e3 with an online store bursting with games, from all their consoles. 3 for £5 deals etc, it's like they don't like money. Wtf

You shouldn't have to pay for anything you've bought on a previous console. But it won't happen, best you can hope for is a crappy token gesture discount. But only if you bought it on a previous console they can link back to, due to the most ridiculously fragmented account schemes

Banned

Ed.Winchester

They'll do a SNES version Shirley?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/iammarcoos/B03E84CF-1704-4253-A73D-B3AAA6656DA4_zpsdrtp7xze.jpg

Well you'd think they would due to the success of the NES, but they probably won't bother, even if it's a massive cash cow!

Nintendo certainly won't listen to fan/customer demand! It's the one thing that really does get on my nerves about Nintendo, they really don't want anything to do with their customers, just take their money. All they do is push out direct videos, because heaven forbid they would have to stand in a room with other non Nintendo employees and their social media presence is utterly terrible, they don't engage people on Facebook or Twitter, just post and never respond to people!

I should have got the spare controller then only people with the official controller for it now are Scalpers, that'll be worth more then the console so long as its boxed and that box is mint.

No surprise. Expect to see a few out there in the wilds for 5x more than what they currently fetch soon enough. (No)Supply and demand - Just what eBay scalpers ordered.

CEX have already bumped up their prices. They will now pay £123 cash for a boxed one and sell it for £190....

I expect a new version within 2 years with different games on it then they will rinse and repeat that limited releasing them to create free buzz until it stops working

Original Poster

CEX prices for boxed, unboxed console and the controller
    uk.webuy.com/sea…on=

This is what happens when hackers hack consoles.

superfreddy

This is what happens when hackers hack consoles.

I bet they have plans to release a snes version hopefully

larrylightweight

I bet they have plans to release a snes version hopefully

It's been rumoured officially today...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions