Gaming PC £700 budget

Posted 2nd Dec
Hi, I know this has been done to death, but I know absolutely nothing about PCs and need some help!
I want to buy a pc (ready built) for my son to play games on - Destiny, Skyrim, COD, rainbow six siege mostly I think.
He already has a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Hi Louiseq. Hope you're well.

As you say, lots of threads on here about laptops and PC's. As a starting point, HERE you will find the specifications to play some of the games you mention. Have a look and you'll get an idea of a PC spec to aim for.

For instance, "Rainbow Six Seige" :-

MINIMUM SPECS:
  • Memory: 6 GB
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege File Size: 61 GB
  • OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions required)

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
  • Memory: 8 GB
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege File Size: 61 GB
  • OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions required)

Theses titles require some fair 'grunt' so your budget might be (to some degree) on the lower end for a 'pre-built' machine but certainly do-able. Take a gander at the page below:

cclonline.com/pc/
(and look at the Gaming PC's tab)

Try and aim for a processor no less than a Ryzen 5 or Intel i5. RAM needs to be 8GB min (preferably 16 but you can add the extra in at a later date if so desired) and ideally an SSD for the OS (for speed) and a HDD for data - which again can be added later so not essential. However, as you can see from the above, disk space can be eaten up quickly with modern games!

Graphics is the biggest single item to not cheapen out on when it comes to gaming. Therefore, a good Radeon RX or Nvidia GTX chipped card is essential.

I would suggest viewing the "CCL Delta Pro Gaming PC" for a great starting platform. It has all the goodies and can be customised with some nice extras if you wish like more RAM, another HDD and more. You could save a tidy sum by ordering WITHOUT an OS and then purchase a cheap 'key' from the likes of Ebay too.

£570.99 without OS.
£670.99 with Windows 10.

As you can see, Windows is quite a chunk! Keys on Ebay can be just a few pounds. Of course, it's all extra 'hassle' to install it yourself and when it's a gift? I don't know. Your Son might enjoy the challenge!

The extra 8GB of RAM for £36 is highly recommended. As is the 1TB HDD for £34. All in, £740 including Win10.

Plenty food for thought eh? You can of course do much cheaper if you play with other machines and try customising to the minimum specs (or above) and see what prices come out. Stick with the basics and bolt on extras as you go.

Have you spoken to your Son or is it a surprise? He may have an idea of a particular spec he desires? Anyway, I hope you can find something suitable.

All the very best, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 2nd Dec
I also "customised" a "Raven GS Gaming PC" to this spec:

Ryzen 5
16GB RAM
Radeon RX570
240GB SSD
1TB HDD (7200rpm)
Upgraded cooler
Wireless card
External DVD writer
3 year warranty
Windows 10
£654.99

This also comes with 3 month Xbox Game Pass for PC. And a free code for Borderlands 3 or GR: Breakpoint!

Under budget - worth investigating perhaps?
Thank you, that's all very helpful!
I'd be able to do the os myself, I've done it before so not too scary.
My son unfortunately is as clueless as me!
Can I ask what site you did your custom on?
Cisco06060602/12/2019 09:58

£730https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-ryzen-5-3600-gtx-1660-super-16gb-ram-1tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-desktop-pc-for-gaming-en.html

Thank you!
Do you know if there's an option to purchase without the os?
pcpartpicker.com Is a good site to use to create a pc or copy a pre made pc for your budget.
louiseq02/12/2019 10:47

Thank you, that's all very helpful!I'd be able to do the os myself, I've …Thank you, that's all very helpful!I'd be able to do the os myself, I've done it before so not too scary.My son unfortunately is as clueless as me!Can I ask what site you did your custom on?

Sorry Louise, did you mean me? I customised another one of CCL's PC's. The "Raven GS." And yes, you could remove the OS and save a bundle if you're happy to install yourself. I will say however that Cisco's machine that he pointed out is a hell of a PC for the little extra money. It would last longer from a "future-proof" perspective too.

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix02/12/2019 11:24

Sorry Louise, did you mean me? I customised another one of CCL's PC's. The …Sorry Louise, did you mean me? I customised another one of CCL's PC's. The "Raven GS." And yes, you could remove the OS and save a bundle if you're happy to install yourself. I will say however that Cisco's machine that he pointed out is a hell of a PC for the little extra money. It would last longer from a "future-proof" perspective too.Regards, Phsy.

I did, sorry, I wasn't sure how to tag!

I'm going to go for Cisco's one then, taking out the 2nd secondary hard drive as he already has one, and adding 600mbps WiFi thing.
Does that sound ok?
louiseq02/12/2019 12:00

I did, sorry, I wasn't sure how to tag!I'm going to go for Cisco's one …I did, sorry, I wasn't sure how to tag!I'm going to go for Cisco's one then, taking out the 2nd secondary hard drive as he already has one, and adding 600mbps WiFi thing.Does that sound ok?

Hi again Louise. Sorry for the late reply - out most of the afternoon!

If you ever need to tag someone, just type the "@" symbol (without quotes) and immediately start to type the persons username. You'll notice it start giving you suggestions below where you're typing so if you see it before you finish - click it and it'll put it straight in for you.

Sounds like a plan Re. the PC from AWD. It's a shame you can't remove the OS - that would save a bit. Also, if he's serious about gaming, unless you have a fab wireless connection I'd game via ethernet cable. Mind you, for the little extra, I don't blame you. I also like the sound of adding a water-cooler for 1p! Sounds good to me! Hehe.

Just to throw a little more confusion your way, I am able to build a similar machine from CCL with this config:

BASED ON THE DELTA X1 GAMING PC BUILD - (then advanced customisation to:)
CIT F3 case
Fractal Design PSU
Ryzen 7 (2700) processor
Gigabyte Mobo
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX1660 6GB Gfx card
Kingston A400 240GB SSD
TP-Link 300Mbps WiFi Card
Cooler Master TX3 Cooler
AvP Fan
3YR C & R Warranty

£611.57 without Win10 / £711.57 with Win10 - (both prices include £25 customisation fee)

You can even customize it further by dropping the SSD to a 120GB just for the OS, adding an ext optical drive for £26 (worth considering for disc-based games but you might pick up a DVD-RW cheaper on Ebay) or better cooling system, more fans etc. I would recommend a water-cooler for an extra £17ish quid and a pair of fans for an extra £5ish quid for more efficient cooling whilst intensively gaming. Also, cases are entirely personal but I love the simplistic look of the CIT Voyager for an extra £1.16. Tempered glass front and sides. Nice!

Good luck on making your decision Louise. I don't envy you as I hate making choices for PC builds!

Best regards, Phsy.
Ryzen 5 3600 - £153 with very £50 cash back
MSI tomahawk max - £89
Corsair vengeance ddr4 ram £60-70
MSI Ventus 1660 ti - £260
Corsair txm gold 550w - £60
MSI gungnir 100p case - £49.99 with free cpu cooler
1tb wd storage £40-50

This will be under £700. Obviously if you want to add a SSD which I strongly recommend however it will up the price but not by much

All MSI products offer a cash back reward on their website.

This would require you to build the pc yourself however a few YouTube videos should help you with this.

This build will last for the years to come. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know as I’m looking to build something similar myself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants