Groups

Gaming Pc Advice

Hi guys,

Just a quick one I'm researching buying a gaming pc and I've picked my parts so far I've never build a pc from scratch before. uk.pcpartpicker.com/use…ed/ here are the parts I've picked so far.The build is the one with the Gtx 1070 when you click on the link. Can any of you guys recommend anything better for the same sort of price (£1000-1100). And any tips on when I start building it. Cheers.

21 Comments

Which build is it? There are 2 different ones on the link

can't comment on the parts but I suggest you watch some you tube videos on how to apply cpu paste.youtu.be/rjF…RCY as that the tricky bit. just encase you haven't done it before

take it slow and have a look at cable management as well.
    Edited by: "TheKentishMan" 12th Mar

looking over it it all looks good i bought a corsair carbide case and it was a dream to fit all the parts in. no rough edges an well designed. your micro motherboard will limit any further additions or upgrades consider spending another £30 for a larger board and dont forget your keyboard and mouse. the ssd will be fast (win 7 startup in under 10 secs) but willl easilty be filled so consider a larger standard Hd for storage in the next few months

I've got that case with the acrylic side panel, really amazing case especially for £60.

Imo its the best under £100 case you can find

I wouldn't spend £81 on a power supply, there are decent options for half that price. You could also save £20-30 each on memory and SSD.

The 7500 is faster than the 6500 for the same price and the motherboard also looks a little expensive for a H110 board, have you looked at the B150/B250 boards at that price?

Original Poster

TheKentishMan

can't comment on the parts but I suggest you watch some you tube videos … can't comment on the parts but I suggest you watch some you tube videos on how to apply cpu paste.https://youtu.be/rjF5jabXRCY as that the tricky bit. just encase you haven't done it before take it slow and have a look at cable management as well.

It's the bottom one with the 1070. Cheers.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

I wouldn't spend £81 on a power supply, there are decent options for half … I wouldn't spend £81 on a power supply, there are decent options for half that price. You could also save £20-30 each on memory and SSD.The 7500 is faster than the 6500 for the same price and the motherboard also looks a little expensive for a H110 board, have you looked at the B150/B250 boards at that price?

No mate I haven't. Is that what you would recommend?

Original Poster

MFT01

Which build is it? There are 2 different ones on the link

The build is the bottom one with the 1070 cheers.

I built my first one in the NZXT s340 elite case - really easy for beginners to work with and the cable management is amazing

I'd definitely save money on the PSU and spend it on a Hard Drive (or just keep the money)

EVGA 600 W 80+ PC Power Supply Unit amazon.co.uk/dp/…GKD

Just building a new PC myself for around the same budget. I managed to get a new i5 6600k for £175 so that was a bonus. Your doing the right thing by spending more on the gpu rather than cpu(if its for gaming). Corsair psu's are good and cheaper uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…2na.
    Seeing as you are not overclocking have a look at some b250 motherboards. these will work with 6th and 7th get intel processors just in case you change to a newer processor. It might also be worth considering one of these for storage: amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1
    Near SSD speeds and a lot cheaper
    Edited by: "disco74" 12th Mar

Your budge can probably include a Gtx 1080 if you're keen on gaming and future proofing a little more. There's a few very decent deals recently.

Also I would ignore the previous advice about power supplies. For a 1,000 PC you want a decent psu, which won't overload or destroy your components, and lasts longer. The gold one you've decided on has. 7 year warranty, and may save you money in the long run on efficiency costs to power.

Original Poster

gowf

Your budge can probably include a Gtx 1080 if you're keen on gaming and … Your budge can probably include a Gtx 1080 if you're keen on gaming and future proofing a little more. There's a few very decent deals recently. Also I would ignore the previous advice about power supplies. For a 1,000 PC you want a decent psu, which won't overload or destroy your components, and lasts longer. The gold one you've decided on has. 7 year warranty, and may save you money in the long run on efficiency costs to power.

Thanks for the advice I have changed some parts now do you think this is a better build? uk.pcpartpicker.com/use…3CJ

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

I wouldn't spend £81 on a power supply, there are decent options for half … I wouldn't spend £81 on a power supply, there are decent options for half that price. You could also save £20-30 each on memory and SSD.The 7500 is faster than the 6500 for the same price and the motherboard also looks a little expensive for a H110 board, have you looked at the B150/B250 boards at that price?

Changed to a b250 and an i5 7500 cheers dude. Thanks for the advice uk.pcpartpicker.com/use…3CJ

gowf

may save you money in the long run on efficiency costs to power.

Not likely on a gaming machine.

Let's saw the system pulls 250W while gaming and you game for 2.5 hours per day on average.

80Plus Bronze requires 88% efficiency from a 500W PSU. That's 284W pulled from the wall.
    80Plus Gold required 92% efficiency from a 500W PSU. That's 272W pulled from the wall.

12W difference for two and a half hours each day is one kilowatt hour per month, around a 11p saving.

11p per month would save you £9.24 over 7 years. It would take you over 15 years to save £20. Assuming the power supply functions that long and doesn't become obsolete.

EndlessWaves

Not likely on a gaming machine.Let's saw the system pulls 250W while … Not likely on a gaming machine.Let's saw the system pulls 250W while gaming and you game for 2.5 hours per day on average. 80Plus Bronze requires 88% efficiency from a 500W PSU. That's 284W pulled from the wall.80Plus Gold required 92% efficiency from a 500W PSU. That's 272W pulled from the wall.12W difference for two and a half hours each day is one kilowatt hour per month, around a 11p saving.11p per month would save you £9.24 over 7 years. It would take you over 15 years to save £20. Assuming the power supply functions that long and doesn't become obsolete.

10 quid is better than a kick in the gonads though. Especially when the difference in price is 70-80 vs 50.

jakehorkan

Thanks for the advice I have changed some parts now do you think this is … Thanks for the advice I have changed some parts now do you think this is a better build? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/JakeHorkan/saved/jcF3CJ

definitely a solid build. I suppose with many things in life, it depends what you need it for.

Its important to know what you're going to use the machine for - online gaming or self gaming? Do you need a 144hz monitor or would you prefer a 1440p more detailed monitor? If playing at 1080p, you may find the gtx 1070 to be overkill. A good budget choice may be a RX480 or a GTX 1060.

secondly, for future proofing you could consider a 7600k for about £210 and a z170 board for £100 or so (total of about 50 quid more). This would allow you to overclock for the future, which may give your CPU a few more years. If you're going to game at 1080p and expect high fps, you may want to have more invested in your CPU (although your current setup will more than be capable of running games).

If you intend to get a higher resolution monitor in the future, you may wish to keep the 1070

Original Poster

gowf

definitely a solid build. I suppose with many things in life, it depends … definitely a solid build. I suppose with many things in life, it depends what you need it for. Its important to know what you're going to use the machine for - online gaming or self gaming? Do you need a 144hz monitor or would you prefer a 1440p more detailed monitor? If playing at 1080p, you may find the gtx 1070 to be overkill. A good budget choice may be a RX480 or a GTX 1060.secondly, for future proofing you could consider a 7600k for about £210 and a z170 board for £100 or so (total of about 50 quid more). This would allow you to overclock for the future, which may give your CPU a few more years. If you're going to game at 1080p and expect high fps, you may want to have more invested in your CPU (although your current setup will more than be capable of running games).If you intend to get a higher resolution monitor in the future, you may wish to keep the 1070

I have already got the monitor and been using it for a few months now and it's perfect. Thanks a lot for the advice

+1 for the B250 mobo instead of H110M as it supports the faster 2400mhz ram

Have you seen the 525gb Crucial SSD on eBay for £111.75? which will give you 2x the storage for about the same as your 256gb.

Edited by: "utopiangames" 13th Mar

disco74

Just building a new PC myself for around the same budget. I managed to … Just building a new PC myself for around the same budget. I managed to get a new i5 6600k for £175 so that was a bonus. Your doing the right thing by spending more on the gpu rather than cpu(if its for gaming). Corsair psu's are good and cheaper http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na.Seeing as you are not overclocking have a look at some b250 motherboards. these will work with 6th and 7th get intel processors just in case you change to a newer processor. It might also be worth considering one of these for storage: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXNUKKW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=373PWWADCD7ZX&coliid=I7X4JI7MDGGEY&psc=1Near SSD speeds and a lot cheaper

The SSHD looks interesting, would you recommend the 2.5" or 3.5" for a desktop build, i see they're about the same price.

The 5 year warranty is also impressive!

Edited by: "utopiangames" 13th Mar

the specs look the same so it just comes down to which size you prefer
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Marketing punch Cadbury tester11
      2. How much would I get for iPhone 6S 64gb rose gold unlocked like new conditi…33
      3. Which Mobile Network?22
      4. How to cancel Sky subscription44

See more discussions