Groups

Gaming PC - advice needed

Fellow misc posters.

I have an Alienware x51 which is approx 4 years old and it can't handle player unknown battle ground. I think it's the graphics card but I'm not 100%.

Specs of my PC are
    6gb ram
    I5 processor
    1gb graphics card.

I accept my graphics card must be due an upgrade as it's 4 years old but am I talking rubbish or b, what's a good card on a budget of about £150

Others specs can be provided if necessary

12 Comments

1gb hasnt been able to handle most new games for years now, speaking from experience of having a 1gb card and not being able to play games on pc for the last 3 or more years.

Yeah, 1GB graphics card will not be able to handle any modern game with high fidelity visuals. You would need a minimun of atleast 4gb to play on lowest settings at 6gb to play on medium.

A budget graphics card for a bit more than £150 is may be a AMD RX 480. Someone may have a better suggestion.
    Edited by: "ahmed123" 2nd Jul

Original Poster

phil36

1gb hasnt been able to handle most new games for years now, speaking from … 1gb hasnt been able to handle most new games for years now, speaking from experience of having a 1gb card and not being able to play games on pc for the last 3 or more years.

Cheers. I actually don't play most modern games, I spend my time on the older classics like Aoe etc.

Just wanted to try that battlegrounds. Battleground says it's min is 2gb so 4 should be enough right?

You can get a 1050ti for £150 so long as it's compatible with the rest of your system.

You have to be careful if you want to upgrade your GFX card, because the X51 case is small and a lot of cards won't fit. You also have to make sure your powerpack has enough watts to run it. Earlier models like the X51 R1 and some R2 don't have enough watts to run some of the newer / more demanding gfx cards.

It should tell you on the powerpack though, can you see if it's 240 or 330?
    Edited by: "JackBauer" 2nd Jul

I read a review for a low profile version of a RX500 series card a few weeks ago, only 4GB, but it should be small enough, fast enough, and power friendly enough, it was considerable shorter than the standard sized card, but gave away nearly nothing in performance to its full sized brothers.

Not sure of the prices though.

Original Poster

JackBauer

You have to be careful if you want to upgrade your GFX card, because the … You have to be careful if you want to upgrade your GFX card, because the X51 case is small and a lot of cards won't fit. You also have to make sure your powerpack has enough watts to run it. Earlier models like the X51 R1 and some R2 don't have enough watts to run some of the newer / more demanding gfx cards. It should tell you on the powerpack though, can you see if it's 240 or 330?

It's 240

Honestly bud it's time for an upgrade. Your at the point where you are realising that you messed up buying an alienware. By the time you have bought a new graphics card and psu you might aswell of bought a new pc. Please build it for the love of god.

Cpt.Negative

It's 240

Apparently a Geforce 1050ti is a perfect fit and uses 75w.

alienowners.com/thr…e-4

"I upgraded to a 1050 GTX no problem in the R1 system. All you need is the A14 bios update."

Christopher.Wilson

Honestly bud it's time for an upgrade. Your at the point where you are … Honestly bud it's time for an upgrade. Your at the point where you are realising that you messed up buying an alienware. By the time you have bought a new graphics card and psu you might aswell of bought a new pc. Please build it for the love of god.

I hate to agree but even looking second hand could get you a decent deal on a system or new gpu.

Original Poster

Christopher.Wilson

Honestly bud it's time for an upgrade. Your at the point where you are … Honestly bud it's time for an upgrade. Your at the point where you are realising that you messed up buying an alienware. By the time you have bought a new graphics card and psu you might aswell of bought a new pc. Please build it for the love of god.

Wouldn't that be the case of any PC though?

I want to play this game. Could anyone assist me by sending a link to a recommend pre-built system? Thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions