Gaming PC capable of playing Half-Life Alyx

Posted 12th Apr
Evening All

I’m looking to buy a pc capable of playing half-life alyx and just generally all latest releases.

Having looked on here I find it hard to come to a decision as ppl seem to have different ideas on price etc for different parts (I have no idea)

Can anyone help/give some options on good deals for built pcs please?

Cheers in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Ryzen 5 3600 + RX 5700 XT
From reviews anything 1060 or above plays it perfectly. I'm having it as a birthday present
I think GPU prices are daft at the moment though.
MrKrabs12/04/2020 19:14

From reviews anything 1060 or above plays it perfectly. I'm having it as a …From reviews anything 1060 or above plays it perfectly. I'm having it as a birthday presentI think GPU prices are daft at the moment though.

Reading I should wait for the new consoles to come out as well. Are the GPUs really that bad in price at the moment?
Faz198512/04/2020 23:35

Reading I should wait for the new consoles to come out as well. Are the …Reading I should wait for the new consoles to come out as well. Are the GPUs really that bad in price at the moment?

They're not nintendo switch bad, but they're 10-20% above where they should be, especially nvidia cards.

You intending mainly playing at 1080 or 4k? What VR headset have you gone for? And whats your budget? AMD 5700XT when on offer for £299 is probably the sweet spot, but there are/were issues with stability and drivers. Nvidias pricing is all over the shop.
MrKrabs12/04/2020 23:52

They're not nintendo switch bad, but they're 10-20% above where they …They're not nintendo switch bad, but they're 10-20% above where they should be, especially nvidia cards.You intending mainly playing at 1080 or 4k? What VR headset have you gone for? And whats your budget? AMD 5700XT when on offer for £299 is probably the sweet spot, but there are/were issues with stability and drivers. Nvidias pricing is all over the shop.

Probably somewhere around the £500-£700 mark. Not looked at which headset yet but that’s secondary at the moment. I have PS4 pro and xb1x so will definitely look to stick to 4K. hotukdeals.com/dea…620 Is this any good as a starting point?
I’ve not had a gaming pc for about 15 years so no idea what I’m looking at.
Faz198513/04/2020 00:20

Probably somewhere around the £500-£700 mark. Not looked at which headset y …Probably somewhere around the £500-£700 mark. Not looked at which headset yet but that’s secondary at the moment. I have PS4 pro and xb1x so will definitely look to stick to 4K. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/palicomp-ryzen-5-2600-gtx-1660-512gb-nvme-8gb-ram-see-information-from-49999-3438620 Is this any good as a starting point?

No, 1660 no where near enough for buttery smooth 4k. Even the top end £700+ cards will fall to its knees in some games with bells and whistles like ray tracing switched on. £700 all in for a 4k gaming rig isn't going to happen sorry, at least not with settings dialled down, in which case you might as well stick with the Xbox you have for now.

£700 might stretch to the new Xbox console, and id be surprised if it doesn't support VR.
MrKrabs13/04/2020 00:27

No, 1660 no where near enough for buttery smooth 4k. Even the top end …No, 1660 no where near enough for buttery smooth 4k. Even the top end £700+ cards will fall to its knees in some games with bells and whistles like ray tracing switched on. £700 all in for a 4k gaming rig isn't going to happen sorry, at least not with settings dialled down, in which case you might as well stick with the Xbox you have for now.£700 might stretch to the new Xbox console, and id be surprised if it doesn't support VR.

Cheers for your help, if I push to 1k budget do you think that would be enough? Also I don’t care about the case a big standard £25 is fine with me 😄
amazon.co.uk/ADM…8-8

amazon.co.uk/gp/…h=1

A case , hard drive ssd and then a graphics card check Cex and other sites buy the parts new or used and build yourself it will save yourself a fortune.
My pc runs this game in and most others at ultra settings my original build cost before GPU was £650 after close to £900.
I used intel parts and knowing what I know now could have cut the cost and built and even better PC going with AMD parts
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions