gaming pc for 14 year old son - what I should buy for him?

Posted 31st Oct 2018
Hi everyone,
my 14 year old son wants a gaming PC for christmas. I just wondered if anybody could point me in the right direction as to what I should buy for him? I have a budget of £400 and don't mind whether it's used or he and my other half can build it together. I know it's probably a bit of an ask but it's so confusing as to what's best really.
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
this is the best I can find
ebay.co.uk/itm…f:0

There are other used gaming PC on ebay, but it would be best you can give me the approx location you are as some require collect in person.
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 31st Oct 2018
Worth checking your local CEX as they have some well priced prebuilts like the one below:
uk.webuy.com/pro…0-c
Alternatively it's worth asking friends if any of them have experience building PC's and checking local listings on gumtree and Facebook market place
What's your definition of 'gaming pc' what games do you want to play and at what resolution/quality?
Thank you for the help so far. He plays Fortnite and all the other games like that. All I know is that he preferably wants it to have an i7 (maybe an i5) , a gtx 1050/60 or above and be as high resolution as possible. He is quite tech savvy so knows what he wants (thanks to all the computer guys on YouTube etc ) but I do realise he is 14 and any advice would be welcome.
Thank you
carlymt31/10/2018 13:01

Thank you for the help so far. He plays Fortnite and all the other games …Thank you for the help so far. He plays Fortnite and all the other games like that. All I know is that he preferably wants it to have an i7 (maybe an i5) , a gtx 1050/60 or above and be as high resolution as possible. He is quite tech savvy so knows what he wants (thanks to all the computer guys on YouTube etc ) but I do realise he is 14 and any advice would be welcome. Thank you

So what does he play those games on now? If it’s a console I don’t think you’ll gain much with a gaming PC at £400.
paulj4831/10/2018 13:29

So what does he play those games on now? If it’s a console I don’t think yo …So what does he play those games on now? If it’s a console I don’t think you’ll gain much with a gaming PC at £400.

He uses a laptop at the moment, not really bothered about the Xbox unless playing Forza!
carlymt31/10/2018 13:39

He uses a laptop at the moment, not really bothered about the Xbox unless …He uses a laptop at the moment, not really bothered about the Xbox unless playing Forza!

So you already have an Xbox and a laptop that’s capable of running Fortnight already then?

Can he he not just play Fortnight on the Xbox and save yourself £400?.
carlymt31/10/2018 13:01

All I know is that he preferably wants it to have an i7 (maybe an i5) , a …All I know is that he preferably wants it to have an i7 (maybe an i5) , a gtx 1050/60 or above and be as high resolution as possible. He is quite tech savvy so knows what he wants

...both a i7 cpu / 1060 gpu start at about £250 each! (new)

- no no way are you going to get all those specs for £400 imo (probably not even second hand (as you need RAM (expensive) / mobo / psu etc) - also if you need monitor ?

i'd agree with the post above - in so much as "tough" / no gaming pc for christmas / don't care.

(on the basis he can be tech savy all he wants - why not invent a money growing tree ? / by the sounds of it he barely even uses his xbox anymore (the xbox being the older variant, of that which he wants now...).

----------------------------

i would maybe get him to sell the xbox and put the money towards used componets on ebay for the future for building but forget it for christmas - xbox's deliver more then many gaming pc's anyway...

also here, if your OH can build computers, then he should be the one doing the computer component sourcing logistics / not leaving it / christmas down to you...

(can't please eveybody...).
Ban_Anas01/11/2018 04:43

...both a i7 cpu / 1060 gpu start at about £250 each! (new)- no no way are …...both a i7 cpu / 1060 gpu start at about £250 each! (new)- no no way are you going to get all those specs for £400 imo (probably not even second hand (as you need RAM (expensive) / mobo / psu etc) - also if you need monitor ?i'd agree with the post above - in so much as "tough" / no gaming pc for christmas / don't care.(on the basis he can be tech savy all he wants - why not invent a money growing tree ? / by the sounds of it he barely even uses his xbox anymore (the xbox being the older variant, of that which he wants now...).----------------------------i would maybe get him to sell the xbox and put the money towards used componets on ebay for the future for building but forget it for christmas - xbox's deliver more then many gaming pc's anyway...also here, if your OH can build computers, then he should be the one doing the computer component sourcing logistics / not leaving it / christmas down to you...(can't please eveybody...).

I totally get where you are coming from , but my son has had a lot of difficulties in his life and the computer would help him cope with life a bit better and he can change bits as he time goes on. He really isn't into a lot but computers, music and bike riding.
His younger siblings play with the Xbox as it is a family thing, they are into lots though unlike him.
I only wanted wanted to ask on here as there are so many variations and there are a lot of people on here who know better than we do. I just don't want to make a mistake.
£425 used PC posted by emodan is capable for your need.

3 gen old i7 is still i7, it doesn't bottleneck GTX 970.

For GPU, GTX 1060 > GTX 970 > GTX 1050i
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 1st Nov 2018
carlymt18 h, 14 m ago

I totally get where you are coming from , but my son has had a lot of …I totally get where you are coming from , but my son has had a lot of difficulties in his life and the computer would help him cope with life a bit better and he can change bits as he time goes on. He really isn't into a lot but computers, music and bike riding. His younger siblings play with the Xbox as it is a family thing, they are into lots though unlike him. I only wanted wanted to ask on here as there are so many variations and there are a lot of people on here who know better than we do. I just don't want to make a mistake.

hello, sorry if i was coming off as a d-bag:

the specifications he has hinted at are top tier (for your average pc gamer) level, and will play new releases on the highest settings, with high framerates.

alot of people reccommend "the newest intel cpu"... etc on forums for no valid practical reason other then brandname and popularity etc "they say it is fast, i bought one, and you should buy one too" i am guessing he has been reading such things based on iX cpu's and 10X0's gpu's being very popular for the consumer market... (consumers with alot of money).

referencing ebay, second hand newer i7 / 1060 are selling currently in the £700-£800 range.

- it is not possible to fulfil his current current christmas list without literal help from santa claus...

--------------------------------------------

you could get him a "i7 with gtx 960" second hand from ebay (hopefully underbudget), which will play games fine but not new releases on the highest settings etc as he has asked for - (thus it would have the potential to "ruin christmas" depending on how much his heart was set on a 1060 / if his friends / forums have been whispering 1060's into his ear ?).

would he not be happy with "his own private xbox that his siblings weren't allowed near" as alternate or something ?.

if you wanted to buy new, and didn't need a monitor i would probably reccommend this - although it is ignoring his requests somewhat and you will need to go over budget for keyboard and mouse -

ebay.co.uk/itm…f:0
paulj4831st Oct

So you already have an Xbox and a laptop that’s capable of running F …So you already have an Xbox and a laptop that’s capable of running Fortnight already then? Can he he not just play Fortnight on the Xbox and save yourself £400?.

The op asked for advice on buying a gaming pc not financial advice. If they want to buy a gaming pc that's up to them and not you
I would highly recommend you let him build his own. It sounds daunting I know but it is really easy. there are 1000's of tutorials out there on YouTube as well. This will help also if anything goes wrong he will have an understanding of the workings of the pc. If you would like a list of all the parts that you will need I can help with that. All you need to do is buy them and the building of the pc is pretty much plug and play
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 2nd Nov 2018
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants