Gaming PC for 7 year old

Posted 30th Oct
Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice. I’ve got a game obsessed 7 year old who is wanting a gaming pc for Xmas. I assume Black Friday is going to be my best chance at getting this on budget, and I have half an idea on what I need but would appreciate some advice so I’m ready to pull the trigger.

The main games he plays are minecraft, roblox and fortnite. He is also starting to show an interest in the Lego series, but I’d like it to be able to cope as many games as possible.

I’d like it to last 3-4 years, but I understand that it might require an upgrade or 2 on the way if the game specs requirements move on.

Ideally I can do it for sub £500-600 (without keyboard/mouse, ect). I’d like it to be a desktop, I have a spare 27inch HD monitor he can use, and if he wants to upgrade that we can do that later on for his birthday or next Xmas.

Appreciate any advice at all. Including the advice of it’s a pipe dream to get what I want on my budget.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
SSD is a must, it improves overall performance by a lot and makes turning on/off the PC in 5 seconds.
31 Comments
You can do it on your budget. As you may already know the most expensive components are the cpu and gpu so just don’t go overboard on that and you should be good. I always advise even on a budget to buy for the future. I would say from the description you gave go with a 256 (even a 128) GB SSD for OS and a HDD to put your games and data on. You would get away with a 1060 6GB GPU and even as a starter go 8GB RAM.

Have you looked on uk.pcpartpicker.com/ It is a good way to check the spec you want and get estimate of price and component compatibility.
I'd echo the above statements and recommend you talk to Overclockers, mentioning the games and your budget.

Be nice to get a custom PC built that you can slowly improve over the years as his requirements and games change.
Personally, I wouldn’t bother with an SSD if you’re on a budget. It’s a “nice to have” rather than a necessity. You could use that money you don’t spend on it on more vital parts.
Biddy230/10/2019 09:41

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with an SSD if you’re on a budget. It’s a “ni …Personally, I wouldn’t bother with an SSD if you’re on a budget. It’s a “nice to have” rather than a necessity. You could use that money you don’t spend on it on more vital parts.

You can buy that cheap ssd that's on sale for 15£
SSD is a must, it improves overall performance by a lot and makes turning on/off the PC in 5 seconds.
Husla30/10/2019 09:48

You can buy that cheap ssd that's on sale for 15£

I know, but it’s still £15 that could be put towards better components. It’s not a component that is necessary in every PC build. Remember, this build is for a 7 year old child.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 30th Oct
If you build it yourself

PCPartPicker Part List: uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…MZf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£123.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£76.12 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£55.02 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£40.79 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£34.56 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 590 8 GB FATBOY OC+ Video Card (£172.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case: GameMax Whisper MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£35.42 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II EVO 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £587.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-30 09:51 GMT+0000
Biddy230/10/2019 09:54

I know, but it’s still £15 that could be put towards better components. It …I know, but it’s still £15 that could be put towards better components. It’s not a component that is necessary in every PC build. Remember, this build is for a 7 year old child.

I'd still put it in. You'd not to need to buy a hhd which effectively would save you £15-20. The games listed are small files. Faster loads.
Biddy230/10/2019 09:41

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with an SSD if you’re on a budget. It’s a “ni …Personally, I wouldn’t bother with an SSD if you’re on a budget. It’s a “nice to have” rather than a necessity. You could use that money you don’t spend on it on more vital parts.

I'd wholeheartedly disagree. They are fairly reasonably priced and bang for buck you will notice vast benefits. Old drives are terrible!!
Awesome guys. Really appreciate the advice.

Yes, I’ve come across pc part picker, but my main issue was not have a full comprehension of the specs I need to be aiming for, so that advice is really useful.

The last thing I wanted to do was go walking into Game or PC World and ask someone who most likely didn’t fully understand (I’m not saying they all don’t understand, but it’s certainly not a certainty they do), I was looking for a recommended company so thanks for the heads up on overclockers.

My hope is that as my son gets older and more into it, he’s going to start understanding what he needs. Or I’ll buy him games that don’t run, and we’ll need to upgrade together. I remember when I got into my early teens I knew what my PCs needed, but since I’m now an old man I’ve lost touch with specs, especially in relation to gaming. I have an HP Spectre x360 I use for my work, which is excellent for the data heavy processing I do and traveling, but useless for playing games, although I’m happy on my Xbox.

If can get an SSD it would be nice, I know the one in my laptop gives me a tablet like start up time, and lighting data transfers when paired with the usb c. What’s it advantage for gamers? Same?

Thanks again all!
cache30/10/2019 10:14

I'd wholeheartedly disagree. They are fairly reasonably priced and bang …I'd wholeheartedly disagree. They are fairly reasonably priced and bang for buck you will notice vast benefits. Old drives are terrible!!

Go for a nice SSHD! Never tried one personally, but they’re cheap and cover storage / quicker boots. Not the quickest, but the kids 7!
cache30/10/2019 10:14

I'd wholeheartedly disagree. They are fairly reasonably priced and bang …I'd wholeheartedly disagree. They are fairly reasonably priced and bang for buck you will notice vast benefits. Old drives are terrible!!

Old drives are not terrible. "Vast benefits" is pushing it too. I’ve got a mixture of HDD and SSDs in my own PC. They’re nice to have for the OS boot times. Gaming wise, they speed up load times but when I play a game stored on my HDD, I don’t ever think to myself “boy, this drive is terrible. I need to replace it with an SSD”. It still loads faster than a console game. They haven’t affected my gameplay in any meaningful way.

Husla30/10/2019 10:12

I'd still put it in. You'd not to need to buy a hhd which effectively …I'd still put it in. You'd not to need to buy a hhd which effectively would save you £15-20. The games listed are small files. Faster loads.

I’d think a 7 year old would rather they had access to their games to play whenever rather than having to delete and then download games. A higher capacity HDD would be more beneficial to them in that regard. The games listed are just starter games. They will presumably buy more in the years to come. (The OP says they want it to last 3-4 years.)
Vencurse30/10/2019 10:18

Go for a nice SSHD! Never tried one personally, but they’re cheap and c …Go for a nice SSHD! Never tried one personally, but they’re cheap and cover storage / quicker boots. Not the quickest, but the kids 7!

Much better option.
Biddy230/10/2019 10:28

Old drives are not terrible. "Vast benefits" is pushing it too. I’ve g …Old drives are not terrible. "Vast benefits" is pushing it too. I’ve got a mixture of HDD and SSDs in my own PC. They’re nice to have for the OS boot times. Gaming wise, they speed up load times but when I play a game stored on my HDD, I don’t ever think to myself “boy, this drive is terrible. I need to replace it with an SSD”. It still loads faster than a console game. They haven’t affected my gameplay in any meaningful way.I’d think a 7 year old would rather they had access to their games to play whenever rather than having to delete and then download games. A higher capacity HDD would be more beneficial to them in that regard. The games listed are just starter games. They will presumably buy more in the years to come. (The OP says they want it to last 3-4 years.)

Long term, they can add a hhd. Short term a ssd would be better.

No worries either way. Hope he finds something good to buy.
This would last a while as has a good current processor and graphics too (graphics can be upgraded to make it last 5-6 years). awd-it.co.uk/awd-stronghold-2600-six-core-3.9ghz-rx-580-8gb-desktop-gaming-pc.html

There are some cheaper systems on there too but will end up costing more in the long run as upgrading cpu means mono and possibly ram.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 30th Oct
To run those games, you wouldn't need the high spec stuff anyway, his 7 for a start so you could easily get something cheap to run all those games that will last longer than 5yrs. Get an Epic account and accept every freebie so you can build up a nice collection and get a ton of Lego games during a Steam sale
For the games mentioned above you have a wide choice of systems that would be able to play those games. When you look online quite alot of pc's for fortnite second hand will run older i5 processors but most the time match that with at least 8gb ram and a 4gb Graphics card.. mostly a GTX Series. But with ryzen processors now you could get a newer build with even a secondhand card for under £500. Some items will last longer than others and graphics cards will last a while unless you want high res content you can just turn down the graphics over time and still have a system that will play newer content in 3-4 years.
If you are not comfortable putting together your own PC, do have a look at the Dell Outlet:

outlet.euro.dell.com/Onl…=uk

I have bought over 10 systems from the outlet over the last few years, and all have turned up pristine with no problems. all have a full 12 months warranty.

There are often decent spec machine for keen prices. Keep an eye out for promotions - currently there is a code for 12% off, and you can also easily get and introductory 10% code too.

hotukdeals.com/vou…076

For a 7-year old looking to play Minecraft and Fortnite, look for the following minimum spec:

i5 or i7 processor
8GB RAM
3 or 4GB discrete video card (not integrated) such as an NVIDIA GeForce
If you can, get a 128GB SSD (M.2) with a 1TB regular hard drive too.

I got an Inspiron 5680 last year with this spec for £680 delivered, with a child that has been delighted all year playing Fortnite on it
!
Mk6Dan9230/10/2019 11:07

For the games mentioned above you have a wide choice of systems that would …For the games mentioned above you have a wide choice of systems that would be able to play those games. When you look online quite alot of pc's for fortnite second hand will run older i5 processors but most the time match that with at least 8gb ram and a 4gb Graphics card.. mostly a GTX Series. But with ryzen processors now you could get a newer build with even a secondhand card for under £500. Some items will last longer than others and graphics cards will last a while unless you want high res content you can just turn down the graphics over time and still have a system that will play newer content in 3-4 years.

Just did a search on here... even something like Optiplex Desktop all you'd need in that is a graphics card such as.. GPU obviously change the card depending on what you want but both those (I know one is expired..) you could have for under £400.. even then with the little extra you could get him a keyboard/mouse combo to get him into gaming.
WOW! Thanks for all the info guys it’s way more than I expected and really appreciated.

I’m starting to get my head at around it now. The good news is that it’s possible to do it on my budget.

I am comfortable building, I used to build my own right up to point I had my first child 15 years ago, but as the time for tinkering got swallowed up I moved towards the big manufacturers.

I think building is the route I’ll take, even better than we can do it together as he gets older, he’s got me right back into the gaming (fortine is crazy addictive, haha). From what I understand serious gamers see real advantages in building as the specs and price marks move along.
SSD an absolute must.
Steely_Man30/10/2019 11:20

WOW! Thanks for all the info guys it’s way more than I expected and really …WOW! Thanks for all the info guys it’s way more than I expected and really appreciated.I’m starting to get my head at around it now. The good news is that it’s possible to do it on my budget. I am comfortable building, I used to build my own right up to point I had my first child 15 years ago, but as the time for tinkering got swallowed up I moved towards the big manufacturers. I think building is the route I’ll take, even better than we can do it together as he gets older, he’s got me right back into the gaming (fortine is crazy addictive, haha). From what I understand serious gamers see real advantages in building as the specs and price marks move along.

Yeah building is always the way forward I would say. Plus some websites do deals on motherboards & CPU's or motherboards & memory. Plus you can do it step by step and just tell your child its like a more expensive Lego. But please if you're building... let them peel the plastic and give them that good feeling! Plus im sure it will give them a good feeling when they can play games and look down at the computer and be like 'I built that!'
There's some crazy talk on here of saving £15 by not going with a SSD. It's an absolute must.

Even if it's not for the added speed, it's the hardest thing/most time consuming to upgrade from a hdd to a ssd.

If you're on a tight budget then it might be worth buying a 2nd hand gfx card, if there are no great offers on for new ones.
m1keyp1key30/10/2019 11:44

There's some crazy talk on here of saving £15 by not going with a SSD. …There's some crazy talk on here of saving £15 by not going with a SSD. It's an absolute must. Even if it's not for the added speed, it's the hardest thing/most time consuming to upgrade from a hdd to a ssd. If you're on a tight budget then it might be worth buying a 2nd hand gfx card, if there are no great offers on for new ones.

Very true. SSD in this day and age is a must for the O/s at least. A normal HDD for extra storage or storing games on. (If big or not used alot)
If you are happy building yourself, you can certainly get the enjoyment of doing it together, and get a little more for your money.

What I would say is don't go overboard on the video card, which is the most expensive part of the system in this scenario - for a 7 year old playing Fortnite, you really don't need a top-spec card. A 3 or 4GB card is ample, IMHO. Just make sure the power supply is suitable, and has head-room to expand - high spec video cards take a fair bit of power.

You will get better value for your budget to get a slightly lesser video card, but spend on an SSD for instance.

Also, 8GB RAM is sufficient at this stage - you can add more later if you really need.

6 years down the line, when he is older and wants something more powerful, technology would have moved on and anything you have now will be out-of-date, so don't go mad at this point.
Definitely go with a SSD for your OS and then a HDD as a second internal drive for putting the games on.
Would he not be better with a console at that age? especially as all his mates will be probably be going that route and its easier for them to game together, I realise cross platform is getting more common but from a chatting point it not as straight forward.
i recommend awd-it.co.uk for prebuilts if you don't want to build your own. had to friends that bought from them already for the same 500-700 price range and they are very happy.

Blackfriday coming soon too so maybe more prebuilt/pc part deals coming out!
paulj4830/10/2019 12:51

Would he not be better with a console at that age? especially as all his …Would he not be better with a console at that age? especially as all his mates will be probably be going that route and its easier for them to game together, I realise cross platform is getting more common but from a chatting point it not as straight forward.

He consoles at the minute on his switch, but the gamers he watches on YouTube all use PCs.

I don’t think it’s a terrible thing to get him one, and for him to start to understand PCs and how they work.

Most are cross platform now. On the games we play only FIFA is not. His friends are all moving in this direction. In fact I came back here to get the link to send to another dad.
Answer: a 7 year old does not need a gaming pc
Thanks for your input but I think I’ll make my own decisions on what my child is and is not allowed. You can climb back up on your high horse and ride off into to the sunset, cheerio.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants