Found 8th Mar
I'm looking for a gaming pc for a 10 yr old can anybody recommend a good one of even places to look ?

22 Comments

I'm sure people could but this isn't a deal.....

too early for a gaming PC...

Overclockers UK - I never buy off them but, well know companies that keep warranty

djames108

was never meant to be...as he clearly submitted a thread under the "Ask" section so ....

What games does he play? What's your budget? My son still makes do with an Xbox 360 and a standard PC but then he generally just plays Skyrim and Minecraft

djames108

​You would have to be a special kind of **** to not only find the need to go out of your way to negatively comment on somebody asking for help for their child but also to get it all wrong. This is also a platform for advice, hence being posted in the 'ask' section.

On topic - this all depends on what use your child has for the PC. Is it for games? New high-end games? This will increase the cost, possibly even double it. If you post the requirements, people will be in a better place to advise you.

May be worth giving a budget and letting us know what kind of requirements you need for the PC

Original Poster

I really don't have much clue as a mum what he will use it for he has just asked me for one for he's birthday he already has the gaming consoles so seems just something to get him as nothing else he wants he does play minecraft things like that I have looked at i5 or i7 ones as I'm told they are good not sure of budget as I have no idea what to buy so hopefully someone knows a good one for a good price would be a start

something like this for a 10 year old

ebay.co.uk/itm…624?hash=item3d34dadca8:g:3UEAAOSwr~lYsvQ9

You won't need i7. i5 will be enough. Preferably you want an SSD as your boot drive and a separate HDD to store games on. Depending on the type of games a 1050ti graphics card should be an excellent budget card for beginners.

If you know anybody who can build you can build a good PC for beginner level with a low budget, especially if you've already got an HD tv/monitor.

Personally I'd go with the new Pentium processor dual core with four threads. I believe it's around £50. The 1050ti you can probably get around £120. Case and motherboard around £60. 8gb of RAM around £50. Your keyboard and mouse around £20. SSD and HDD around £60 All in around £360 for a good budget gaming PC. The really high-end games you'd struggle but for that you need to at least double the cost.

If you can't get somebody to build it for you, look for that sort of spec second hand on EBay.
Edited by: "tommy6000009" 8th Mar

tommy6000009

You won't need i7. i5 will be enough. Preferably you want an SSD as … You won't need i7. i5 will be enough. Preferably you want an SSD as your boot drive and a separate HDD to store games on. Depending on the type of games a 1050ti graphics card should be an excellent budget card for beginners. If you know anybody who can build you can build a good PC for beginner level with a low budget, especially if you've already got an HD tv/monitor. Personally I'd go with the new Pentium processor dual core with four threads. I believe it's around £50. The 1050ti you can probably get around £120. Case and motherboard around £60. 8gb of RAM around £50. Your keyboard and mouse around £20. SSD and HDD around £60 All in around £360 for a good budget gaming PC. The really high-end games you'd struggle but for that you need to at least double the cost. If you can't get somebody to build it for you, look for that sort of spec second hand on EBay.

You seem to be equating age with low spec requirements.

Destard

You seem to be equating age with low spec requirements.

​Not age, just a beginner on a budget.

I did say you would need to at least double that for the really high end games. Perhaps you should read to the end in future, before jumping in head first?

Original Poster

Thanx you for all the help and yes i do have someone who can build so great idea as if it is used he can always get the more expensive things as he gets older no doubt it wil sit next to the consoles that he plays on but I'm in the good books for buying what he wants ha x

xlilminxyanniex

Thanx you for all the help and yes i do have someone who can build so … Thanx you for all the help and yes i do have someone who can build so great idea as if it is used he can always get the more expensive things as he gets older no doubt it wil sit next to the consoles that he plays on but I'm in the good books for buying what he wants ha x

​Find out what he wants to play on it, pick the most recent game then Google the game requirements, choose a pc with those specs, pc part picker will give you a good indication to the cost. if he wants to play the latest games we'll your going to be looking at around £500+ not Inc monitor, keyboard, mouse, games etc just my advice,

xlilminxyanniex

Thanx you for all the help and yes i do have someone who can build so … Thanx you for all the help and yes i do have someone who can build so great idea as if it is used he can always get the more expensive things as he gets older no doubt it wil sit next to the consoles that he plays on but I'm in the good books for buying what he wants ha x

​I did the same myself. Started cheap and gradually built a better system up upgrading one part at a time. Keep in mind the upgrade path. it's perhaps better to find out what the end system might look like as some components won't be compatible with what you have originally. The person you have who can build will be able to explain and advise further on that.
Edited by: "tommy6000009" 8th Mar

the only game mentioned so far is Minecraft, the kid is probably an awful lot like my lil sister who wants a PC to mod the life out of Minecraft. gaming PC necessary? not one bit. I struggle to even think what games a 10 year old would play on PC, minus Minecraft... I'm not saying this to be a D-head, I'm saying it more as a way to say it could potentially be a massive waste of money!
Only way I can see this being worth it is if you are a good parent and let your child play GTA etc...yes GOOD PARENTS let their kids play GTA!

BigP50000

was never meant to be...as he clearly submitted a thread under the "Ask" … was never meant to be...as he clearly submitted a thread under the "Ask" section so ....

​i filter for deals only, it showed up, therefore it was posted in deals section.

tommy6000009

​You would have to be a special kind of **** to not only find the need to … ​You would have to be a special kind of **** to not only find the need to go out of your way to negatively comment on somebody asking for help for their child but also to get it all wrong. This is also a platform for advice, hence being posted in the 'ask' section.

​omg do you not think it was moved.......shudder at the thought, perhaps I read and commented while you were still in bed? either way it was a statement of fact not a negative comment.
If you want to act like a 12 year old and insult people using censored language then feel free im sure there's a section for saddo's if you look hard enough

Look at AMD APU, they're cheap and pack enough punch to play minecraft and other titles on low settings. I had A10-6800K and gamed on that for a while without problems.

Also I'd suggest getting help from someone you know and trust to compile you a list of components and encourage your son to build his first PC himself. He will gain some important knowledge and experience with the added bonus of being friendlier to your purse. Remember, PCs can be upgraded over time, bit by bit (no pun intended)

Overclockers.co.uk have a live chat option and the guys there would be more than happy to answer any questions you or your son may have.

If you buy Intel you will know about it as these are much more expensive than AMD chips. And before anyone has a go, I am running Intel myself. I'm not a fanboy of either, they both have their merits and flaws.

Just make sure that you invest in a decent CPU cooler, stock fans are a big no no in my opinion.
Edited by: "xfaxfa" 8th Mar

The issue is that you can spend £300 for a gaming rig that can most new games at decent level, but you could also spend £600 or £2000 for diminishing returns kind of performance.

It's better to set a budget or a level of expectation, eg I want to play x game at y resolution at high or very high settings.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    2. Christmas presents510
    3. Mobile phone advice33
    4. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55

See more discussions