Gaming pc help

Posted 6th May
Looking to build a new gaming pc for my son. Too old to update the rig he has now, so a whole new set up is needed. There's so much 'advice' out there now it's making my head spin so if anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
He's not into COD or Halo, he prefers stuff like ETS2, Train Simulator etc and he now wants to get Assetto Corsa.

These are the recommended specs from the Steam website for ETS -
Quad Core CPU 3.0ghz with GeForce GTX760, but that's no good for Assetto which would need -
Intel Quad Core CPU or AMD Six Core (prefer Intel but happy to listen to any info about why it would be better to get AMD)
Nvidia GeForce GTX970 or AMD Radeon 290x
Obv would also need a mobo, we have an antec earthwatts ea-650 PSU and don't need a monitor, we have an old ezcool case which would probably still be fine to put everything into, 8gb of ram at the moment.
Budget up to £800, but don't want to push that.
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Hello, I play ETS, assetto, Forza as well as COD. I have built more than 10 gaming PCs and my day job is working with IT Infrastructure. £800 is a more than enough to get you a great PC which can run these games very smoothly with great performance.

Have you considered building a PC together? It can be a good learning experience, some fun, and something he can be proud of when he uses it.

Please let me know if you want prebuilt or you will built one yourself and I will get back to you.
if you are new (to building), id start from here, and then move parts up and down where you need it:

logicalincrements.com/
on UK (dropdown menu above the list somwhere), you are looking at Very Good category on £800, then minus the price for the case, PSU, +another 8gb stick of ram, and should be roughly well balanced already. (ofcourse, if you are like me and like certain brands or coolers or have a bit more knowledge, then you fiddle this as you please)
Edited by: "Artonox" 6th May
AdventureDeals06/05/2020 11:08

Hello, I play ETS, assetto, Forza as well as COD. I have built more than …Hello, I play ETS, assetto, Forza as well as COD. I have built more than 10 gaming PCs and my day job is working with IT Infrastructure. £800 is a more than enough to get you a great PC which can run these games very smoothly with great performance.Have you considered building a PC together? It can be a good learning experience, some fun, and something he can be proud of when he uses it. Please let me know if you want prebuilt or you will built one yourself and I will get back to you.

Yeah, would prefer to build it, and he'd definitely be interested in helping, initially at any rate! I doubt if we'd be able to get a prebuilt at a similar price.
I would 100% recommend an amd cpu as they are usually a lot cheaper with very similar or even better performance
Edited by: "Misly" 6th May
For £815 last week i ordered ryzen 5 3600 cpu, msi radeon rx5700, 16gb 3600mhz ram, b450 tomahawk max, corsair 220t case, 600w psu and 3 extra rgb fans, this will play pretty much everything at high settings in 1080p
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 6th May
Use pc part picker to make sure what's compatible with each other and will also give you the best retailers for prices. Don't be too worried about the used market either for cpus and ram and even a gpu. I have made a pc 6 7 years with some used parts and its still going strong now
Mark_Hickman06/05/2020 13:00

For £815 last week i ordered ryzen 5 3600 cpu, msi radeon rx5700, 16gb …For £815 last week i ordered ryzen 5 3600 cpu, msi radeon rx5700, 16gb 3600mhz ram, b450 tomahawk max, corsair 220t case, 600w psu and 3 extra rgb fans, this will play pretty much everything at high settings in 1080p

Can I ask where you ordered this from?
nydare06/05/2020 13:14

Use pc part picker to make sure what's compatible with each other and will …Use pc part picker to make sure what's compatible with each other and will also give you the best retailers for prices. Don't be too worried about the used market either for cpus and ram and even a gpu. I have made a pc 6 7 years with some used parts and its still going strong now

Problem with used is would be worried about the reliability, are you talking ebay?
I got cpu from ebay currys, gpu and motherboard from ebay seller ebuyer, ram, case, psu and 3 extra rgb fans from amazon
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 6th May
jayd9906/05/2020 13:32

Problem with used is would be worried about the reliability, are you …Problem with used is would be worried about the reliability, are you talking ebay?

More cex tbh. Little more expensive the ebay used but 2 year warranty and tested by them. As said had cpu gpu and ram with no issues and the savings are good
Misly06/05/2020 12:10

I would 100% recommend an amd cpu as they are usually a lot cheaper with …I would 100% recommend an amd cpu as they are usually a lot cheaper with very similar or even better performance

Which would you recommend looking at the info I put in earlier?
jayd9906/05/2020 14:07

Which would you recommend looking at the info I put in earlier?

He will most likely play more heavier games at some point and a great cpu that would most likely hold for years would be some sort of ryzen 5 for example a ryzen 5 3600 is a very popular pick or even a 2600
uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…7HB

Here’s a quick build I put together, you can customise the computer and get a feel for the price. The 3600 is the best value CPU you’re going to get, it is a very strong performer.

For the OS, just download an ISO of Win10 and you can get a cheap key off eBay if you need to (£10)
Yep, I'd agree with a Ryzen 5 3600 - would go with a B450 board (make sure it's 3000 ready BIOS, or one with "flashback" to update with no CPU. Maybe go with an NVME SSD, faster and eliminates a couple of cables.

The system requirements for Asetto are not massive though, looks like they were written some time ago, as if the minimum was a Core 2 Duo, the recommended would have been a Core 2 Quad, and the AMD would have been a FX 6 core

If the system has a decent LGA775 motherboard with 1333FSB capability, you might meet the specs with just a Q6600 (pref SLACR model) with an overclock to 3GHz
matth999907/05/2020 00:41

Yep, I'd agree with a Ryzen 5 3600 - would go with a B450 board (make sure …Yep, I'd agree with a Ryzen 5 3600 - would go with a B450 board (make sure it's 3000 ready BIOS, or one with "flashback" to update with no CPU. Maybe go with an NVME SSD, faster and eliminates a couple of cables.The system requirements for Asetto are not massive though, looks like they were written some time ago, as if the minimum was a Core 2 Duo, the recommended would have been a Core 2 Quad, and the AMD would have been a FX 6 coreIf the system has a decent LGA775 motherboard with 1333FSB capability, you might meet the specs with just a Q6600 (pref SLACR model) with an overclock to 3GHz

NVME SSD wasn't something I knew about, seems quite a bit more expensive, is it really worth it unless he's intending to move onto games that are a lot more complex?
AdventureDeals06/05/2020 23:11

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Yc47HBHere’s a quick build I put t …https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Yc47HBHere’s a quick build I put together, you can customise the computer and get a feel for the price. The 3600 is the best value CPU you’re going to get, it is a very strong performer. For the OS, just download an ISO of Win10 and you can get a cheap key off eBay if you need to (£10)

Thanks for that, really helpful. Also had suggested the Ryzen 2700x with GTX 1660 super 6, thoughts?
jayd9907/05/2020 11:57

NVME SSD wasn't something I knew about, seems quite a bit more expensive, …NVME SSD wasn't something I knew about, seems quite a bit more expensive, is it really worth it unless he's intending to move onto games that are a lot more complex?

yeah it’s not really worth it tbh. The performance difference is negligible between that and a sata ssd.
Yep it’s a decent combo. Or you could get a cheaper motherboard with the 3600
This is what I would go for - uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…bDx

Processor - All the 1600s are 2600s at this point which are plenty for gaming unless you are going high end on the GPU.
Storage - A 1TB fast NVMe will make load times an absolute minimum.
GPU - 5600 XT on par with an RTX 2060 and about 15% faster than a 1660 Super.
Case - Comes with 4 decent corsair fans with the 3 at the front being RGB,a tempered glass side panel and PSU shroud.
PSU - Gold rated and semi modular (Tier B+ - Recommended for midrange systems on LTT)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions