Gaming PC Help Needed

Posted 25th Nov
My son wants a new gaming pc. Been looking at the deals on HUKD and get confused. There are obviously some very knowledgeable people on the site, hope someone can help me out. In 2017 I brought him a refurbished Dell machine off eBay which was Intel Quad Core, 1TB HDD 8GB Ram Windows 10 and a basic GFX card. I have a budget of £500-£600 Can anyone recommend anything that will improve his game play?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
This is just over £600 and will need a WiFi card for around £5-10 from amazon and you can buy a windows 10 key from eBay for less than £10.

awd-it.co.uk/awd-nitro-ryzen-7-2700-eight-core-4.1ghz-rx-590-8gb-desktop-gaming-pc.html

There are some cheaper ones too but this isn’t bad for the price. It’s only the tower you get (no screen, keyboard or mouse).

With this you can later on add another 8gb ram chip and after 3-4 years buy a new graphics card.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 25th Nov
It sounds like all you need is a better gfx card. The computer sounds capable. Maybe increase RAM (if it can be) and bang in a SSD for the OS to speed things up?

Do you know what processor (revision) his PC has? i3, i5, i7 etc?
Phsycronix25/11/2019 19:53

It sounds like all you need is a better gfx card. The computer sounds …It sounds like all you need is a better gfx card. The computer sounds capable. Maybe increase RAM (if it can be) and bang in a SSD for the OS to speed things up?Do you know what processor (revision) his PC has? i3, i5, i7 etc?

If I have done this right it says:
Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40GHz 2.39ghz
coachandy25/11/2019 20:24

If I have done this right it says:Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU …If I have done this right it says:Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40GHz 2.39ghz

Hi coachandy. This is where it gets a bit complicated. That processor is a relatively old one (c2008) but it doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, it's comparable to an i3 and in some cases has better architecture - but it would perform slower due to some other aspects. This would be a bottleneck if you increased everything else - including the gfx card. Bit like dropping a Bugatti Veyron bodyshell onto a Vauxhall Viva chassis! You get the drift...

Depending on how tech-minded you are, you would find yourself hunting out a new motherboard and processor (i5 or better) and then possibly bigger power supply etc. Simply put, unless you know what you're doing it could be hit and miss. A local computer shop would steer you in the right direction here. Yes, you'll pay a premium for their building/guidance but it might still be cheaper than buying ANOTHER whole computer. Worth investigating? Up to you.
Thanks Phsycronix

What you have said makes a lot of sense, my mates brother did once put a Capri engine in a Cortina Like you said, increase in power, but also had its downsides. Will have a chat with the local pc repair company to see what I can get.
Edited by: "coachandy" 25th Nov
I suggest ryzen 5 3600 with b450 mobo and rx590 instead
awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml

The rest is same as what #1

Or if you are scraping your existing pc. Remove HDD and install it to new PC. Also reuse your windows key
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 25th Nov
Id suggest the one in comment above or this one below will give you 16gb ram instead of 8 and includes 3 year warranty from ccl who are a good reputable company, with your existing pc a 2008 cpu and old motherboard plus slow 1tb hdd, you basically need to upgrade every part of your existing one to get it half decent.
You'd be better off just replacing it and have a really good spec 1080p gaming machine that will give years of work and play.
39116865.jpg
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 25th Nov
for 5-600 you can build a brand new machine and play any game on 1080p
ryzen 5 2600 £100, b450 board £60-80, 8 gig ram £40, psu £40, then jam an rx580 which are around £150 then pick your case
Having been a fan of Intel Sandybridge/Ivybridge/Haswell DDR3 builds, the sanity in DDR4 pricing has somewhat eroded the case for a DDR3 architecture, though Phils Computer lab on YouTube has covered some crazy AliExpress stuff "New" LGA2011 boards that use quad channel SERVER (registered) DDR3 (cheap as there is a glut as it cannot be used in the more common LGA11xx), and a Xeon type CPU - can be the base of cut price budget setup.

The key to any good priced (new parts) build is making to most of the lightning deals preceding Black Friday, and the BF/CM deals as well... I stocked up on some rather off-brand SSDs that came up in Lightning deals, with 240GB at the price that usually gets you a 120, and a 480 at the price that usually gets you a 240
scrap the old machine, the q6600(first gen core quad 66mhz bus) at intel spec was a poor processor, only reason it was popular as it could be over clocked to hell but you ain't gonna get that on a dell machine
as another poster has said, check out ccl online, their website or ebay store....also give them a call there sales guys are really helpful and not pushy at all

building is probably the way to go if you know how...ccl are also quite well priced on parts.....also use partpicker uk to place about with parts and find some ideas on prices
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants