Gaming pc Red Devil rx480 fan not spinning. Turns off when game played. Help!

Posted 3rd Dec
Hi guys, Am I in the right place to ask for help? I’m a complete novice and out of touch with gaming PCs. My son has a b450 gaming plus mb with the above card fitted. Been working fine since March. Last week or so it turns on to desktop as normal as soon as game is started (even less demanding games like Lego) the system turns off completely. I have removed and replaced the GPU hoping I could reseat it. Gpu Fans don’t seam to be running they spin a little then stop. It cuts out before they spin. Am I on the right track? Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Sound like video card failure, but I’ll advice monitor temperatures on idle and load to see exactly what’s going on.
Yeah thanks for reply I was heading down that route. I’ve tr to run a few tests but as stress is put on the graphics like short rendering videos it cuts off. I’ve managed to get it to last a little longer by manually running fans with afterburner. As I said I’m a novice so I’m nervous on changing settings and winging it
eric.vawerty03/12/2019 17:29

Sound like video card failure, but I’ll advice monitor temperatures on i …Sound like video card failure, but I’ll advice monitor temperatures on idle and load to see exactly what’s going on.

Edited by: "pjuk14" 3rd Dec
Much dust on the fans?
Also check custom fan profiles and temps.
m1keyp1key03/12/2019 17:45

Much dust on the fans?

m1keyp1key03/12/2019 17:48

Also check custom fan profiles and temps.

Minimal dust on fans I’ve manually set the fans running on afterburner at 75% it’s now working better, but not as it was. What should the fans and temps be? I’ve noticed that there’s been a few bios updates this year. Would that be worth a try or to risky?
A 480 should idle around 31, and max out at 80

What psu do you have?
Also we need to know what temp you're running at idle to see if something looks off from the start.
m1keyp1key03/12/2019 17:59

A 480 should idle around 31, and max out at 80What psu do you have?

Ryzen 3 2600x . Should the fans be running at idle? How do I record the temps and fan speeds at idle? Cheers
Edited by: "pjuk14" 3rd Dec
What psu not cpu.

Doesn't afterburner show all that info?
m1keyp1key03/12/2019 18:15

What psu not cpu. Doesn't afterburner show all that info?

Ah right sorry lol something gold 500watt I think. Not with pc atm. Afterburner most probably does show that info. I just don’t know what I’m looking at I’ve only been looking into the pc and it’s settings since the problem arose. So I’m still learning
I’ll get the info temps and speed when I get home. Thanks for the help
Any chance you can try the gpu in different pc or a different gpu in that machine it’s the easiest way to find out if it is the gpu... uninstall the drivers and reinstall as well...

also the power color gpu’s are horrible the returns process will leave you without a gpu for maximum time and then they’ll say it’s unfixable. Because it’s unfixable and over 6 month old they’ll only partially refund...

the forums on tomshardware is best place to get tech advice...
Bargainhead03/12/2019 19:15

Any chance you can try the gpu in different pc or a different gpu in that …Any chance you can try the gpu in different pc or a different gpu in that machine it’s the easiest way to find out if it is the gpu... uninstall the drivers and reinstall as well...also the power color gpu’s are horrible the returns process will leave you without a gpu for maximum time and then they’ll say it’s unfixable. Because it’s unfixable and over 6 month old they’ll only partially refund...the forums on tomshardware is best place to get tech advice...

Thanks, no I can’t swap it out. No spare card or tower. I haven’t tried uninstalling drivers though. Not returnable as out of warranty. Yeah been scouring the web before I admit defeat and take it for repair.
pjuk1403/12/2019 19:31

Thanks, no I can’t swap it out. No spare card or tower. I haven’t tried uni …Thanks, no I can’t swap it out. No spare card or tower. I haven’t tried uninstalling drivers though. Not returnable as out of warranty. Yeah been scouring the web before I admit defeat and take it for repair.

Just take card in ask them to check it, if your going down that route..
Bargainhead03/12/2019 19:40

Just take card in ask them to check it, if your going down that route..

Oh didn't realise that I could do that. That's a good idea. Cheers
Sell it on ebay as faulty and buy something new on promotion. Loads of good deals on at the moment.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions