Gaming PC required - budget £800 to £900

Posted 22nd Aug
Hello, can anyone recommend a prebuilt gaming PC that is under £900?
O/S and SSD / HDD not required as I have my own to transfer over.

Looking to upgrade from an i5 6600k / gtx 970 - so ideally something that has the modern equivalent of this combo. Happy to switch to AMD.

Absolutely not interested in self building, and am happy to pay for the convenience.
Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Hi Pal.

Afew options at the moment:

Palicomp:

palicomp.co.uk/pc_…buy

£600 Base, add in a 5700xt for £147ish, whack in 2TB for £55 comes to a total of £802
/alt to this u can remove the SSD 240GB, and add in the intel 512GB nvme. total: £857
/alt further option, increase the motherboard to B550 for £34.99 extra. £892

**currently getting the evoke 5700xt

palicomp.co.uk/pc_…eek
£475, and then select your GPU, this comes with that intel nvme, so whack in a 5700xt £350 and then 2TB hdd for £55
total comes to £880 and then optional B550 for £34.99 so then its 925.99

**good thing about the pali ones u can remove all storage options, and GPU;s on either so if fancy doing a partial build! and obtain 2 of these items with whatever is on current offers u could do so, one further element i like.

AWD:
awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml

3600 / B550 £800, another populer first B550 market system on here, and its still good, but time u whack in 2tb / increase the nvme to say 512gb like the above, and sort the case out with more fans still wont match the amount in the flash pali one / comes into around £886++ depending on the case options,.... the 5700xt is the blower 50th ans verison.

awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml

first thing is jump from that Asus -K board up, so next one is the VDH motherboard on this one, time u add in 512gb nvme
and drop it down to 3600 from the (XT) add in 2tb, this build does come in at then 981 so its over budget atm...

the rest of the parts inside this one are VS the lower palicomps to a degree i.e 1660s/2060 it doesn't have that 5700xt.......

CCL:
As shown as last night the Stryker package for that 500-600 is competive, but ur budget is the next level, i will come back to u soon.
- as i am currently reviewing their higher range.

**PS: hangfire......... could be an interesting week somewhere. if out like the past before the new boys come in... im hunting.
Edited by: "sarden84" 22nd Aug
Hey man, If you can hang fire there is going to be loads of new Hardware coming before year end. new CPU and GPUs both said to be quite large increases in performance. If I had your gear I would wait personally a few more months. Just my 2 cents
As above it is often prudent to wait if new hardware releases are not far away, just so that you have more information before making a decision, however the new hardware will of course be more expensive, and the existing hardware may drop in a price a bit but IMHO that's not the biggest driver of price drops, competition between vendors is i.e. AMD have, over the past couple of years, made Intel and nVidia more 'honest'. But, if you don't want to wait you could always just upgrade your GPU because your 6600K is still a decent chip for gaming especially if you have the desire and knowledge to overclock it, and your other components are not 'bottlenecking' the system (you say you have SSD and HDD already) and I assume you have RAM well matched to the 6600K. You could then buy a 'barebones' new PC later in the year. It's another option to consider anyway.
Jarrad_Yardley22/08/2020 17:49

Hey man, If you can hang fire there is going to be loads of new Hardware …Hey man, If you can hang fire there is going to be loads of new Hardware coming before year end. new CPU and GPUs both said to be quite large increases in performance. If I had your gear I would wait personally a few more months. Just my 2 cents

Thank you, but this is the kind of comment I keep reading all year round when it comes to upgrading GPUs and/or CPUs and my conclusion is that it is never the right time (or perhaps it is always the right time, depending on your point of view).
Got to take the plunge sometime!

I need to get this PC sorted before end of September, as I have recorded an accrual for this.
Thanks for the comments thus far everyone.
Will read your detailed post a bit later Sarden.
loonyjetman22/08/2020 18:14

But, if you don't want to wait you could always just upgrade your GPU …But, if you don't want to wait you could always just upgrade your GPU because your 6600K is still a decent chip for gaming especially if you have the desire and knowledge to overclock it, and your other components are not 'bottlenecking' the system

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Regarding the part I've quoted. Are you sure the 6600k is still up to it?
Mine was overclocked to (I think) 4.2 or possibly 4.4 - I can't remember. But a while ago, one day there was an error on bootup pertaining to the overclocking having failed or something, and it dropped back to stock thereafter.
It's quite noticeable when I'm running Football Manager which seems to need a decent CPU.

Don't think I have the confidence to attempt to overclock it again, and the computer supplier advised it isn't something simple like reloading a set of values off a USB or something.
I am uncertain how the overclocking failed and why it can't be re-instated easily.
Uranus22/08/2020 18:41

Thank you, but this is the kind of comment I keep reading all year round …Thank you, but this is the kind of comment I keep reading all year round when it comes to upgrading GPUs and/or CPUs and my conclusion is that it is never the right time (or perhaps it is always the right time, depending on your point of view).Got to take the plunge sometime!I need to get this PC sorted before end of September, as I have recorded an accrual for this.

in one method he makes sense, but your also right to...

but if u want the better gains it isnt when the new stocks come for the old items, its before they do so, so expect some very good deals coming soon ;-)..... "end of the day, its marketing, for the new when it drops"..... so they will not push old items unless its still on the belt, spec the bigger firms who are in their back pockets.
Uranus22/08/2020 18:46

Hi, thanks for the reply.Regarding the part I've quoted. Are you sure the …Hi, thanks for the reply.Regarding the part I've quoted. Are you sure the 6600k is still up to it?Mine was overclocked to (I think) 4.2 or possibly 4.4 - I can't remember. But a while ago, one day there was an error on bootup pertaining to the overclocking having failed or something, and it dropped back to stock thereafter.It's quite noticeable when I'm running Football Manager which seems to need a decent CPU.Don't think I have the confidence to attempt to overclock it again, and the computer supplier advised it isn't something simple like reloading a set of values off a USB or something.I am uncertain how the overclocking failed and why it can't be re-instated easily.

I appreciate you are maybe looking for a simple answer but it does depend on your usage scenario e.g. gaming resolution(s), game settings, the games themselves, how 'clean' the OS is, the rest of the hardware etc.

The Ryzen 3600 will give *in general* between zero and 30% FPS gains over the stock 6600K, so one way to look at it (and just one way) is to say, on average, 15% FPS gains, but it does come down to all those variables.

Football Manager is, I believe, a highly CPU intensive game which also benefits being on a good SSD. Do you have it installed on your SSD or HDD? That may make a big difference - worth investigating if need be.

Here is a link to a thread with a FM2019 3-benchmark chart showing an OC 6600k almost as fast as a 9700k, Ryzen 2700X and even an OC 8600k (@5 GHz!) but it's not my benchmark/thread, I just found it on a quick seach, you may find others.

community.sigames.com/top…ad/

Lastly, it depends how much leg work you are willing to put in to get the most suitable spec for your needs e.g. you could use PC Partpicker website's build function to hypothetically build a rig (sans SSD & HDD) under £900 that suits the type of games you most play then keep watching HUKD for that spec (basically CPU/GPU combo) or use a 'quick n easy rule' such as pay 2x for GPU than CPU plus ~£250 for board, RAM, case and PSU ( in this example a ~£200 CPU, ~£400 GPU + ~£250 = ~£850 )
Uranus22/08/2020 18:41

Thank you, but this is the kind of comment I keep reading all year round …Thank you, but this is the kind of comment I keep reading all year round when it comes to upgrading GPUs and/or CPUs and my conclusion is that it is never the right time (or perhaps it is always the right time, depending on your point of view).Got to take the plunge sometime!I need to get this PC sorted before end of September, as I have recorded an accrual for this.

I know I know, I hate when people are like this as it does seem its never the right time but seriously, GPUs just around corner as someone else agreed Sept for Geforce Stuff and next Gen Ryzen soon meant to be a big leap in performance, not like intel over last few years with single digit perf increase. Especially worth waiting for GPUs I would say for mojority of GPUS will be raytracing compatible as apposed to now your probably looking at a 5700xt which doesnt have ray tracing capability.

Up to you obviously. Id seriously wait 1-2 months.

But from your finance I think Sardens link is pretty good to pali comp with a 5700xt with a B550 Mobo. Will be better to be able to easily upgrade in future with next gen Ryzen and have better VRM thermals for higher core count CPUs. Defo would change the case to something more high airflow though.
loonyjetman22/08/2020 18:14

As above it is often prudent to wait if new hardware releases are not far …As above it is often prudent to wait if new hardware releases are not far away, just so that you have more information before making a decision, however the new hardware will of course be more expensive, and the existing hardware may drop in a price a bit but IMHO that's not the biggest driver of price drops, competition between vendors is i.e. AMD have, over the past couple of years, made Intel and nVidia more 'honest'. But, if you don't want to wait you could always just upgrade your GPU because your 6600K is still a decent chip for gaming especially if you have the desire and knowledge to overclock it, and your other components are not 'bottlenecking' the system (you say you have SSD and HDD already) and I assume you have RAM well matched to the 6600K. You could then buy a 'barebones' new PC later in the year. It's another option to consider anyway.

Yeah its definitely a valid point, still feel that considering how soon were expecting GPUS I still would lay off. I mean, a 970 isnt exactly going to be un-playable. I mean, I hate waiting for HW too but it seriously so soon and not expected to be a small jump in perf difference.
Alright, so the consensus is to wait for the first week of September to see what is going on with GPUs.
Fine. Will do that and then bother you all again thereafter!

Thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text