Posted 15th Nov 2021
I bought just a now tv voucher from Gamivo ages ago. They offered me a voucher for 15% off a product.

I recently found out they’d taken a year’s subscription that I didn’t sign up to or know about. I haven’t used it obviously.

I know I should have checked my online credit card statement but with all the covid stresss and us being CV I neglected it . So
please no reprimanding me.

They won’t give me my money back. Keep saying it’s in the term and conditions not to refund.
I explain I haven’t signed up to it and haven’t used it but it falls on deaf ears.

I’ve asked where they are based with reply it’s in terms and conditions. Can’t find it.

It says based in Europe. Is there any trading standards office or anywhere I can complain about them please.

I’ve since learned that loads of people are saying they have been conned into this subscription thing and didn’t know they’d been signed up -under an email voucher send to them.
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

38 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    These scumbags are still at it in late 2022. Got a cheap year of Disney plus via a deal here on HUKD to find £3 charges eac month, 100% not authorised and was never even offered the option, subscribed by stealth in the hopes people wouldnt notice. Reported as fraud to the bank.
    You have to un-check smart price before you check out. If you didn't do that, and you picked the cheaper 'smartprice' option, you did indeed authorise it. I've used this site for about five years, and never signed myself up to a subscription service. People should pay more attention when shopping online, especially on sites you haven't used before.

It is fairly clear. When you click 'add to basket' on the product, you are shown this notice
    48522621-hyuCA.jpgIf you don't want hidden fees or a subscription service, you click regular price. If you click the ( i ) next to 'smart price' it shows this
    48522621-YyLn7.jpgThe information is pretty clear. You just need to pay a very basic level of attention before handing over your payment details.

It isn't a scam.
  2. Avatar
    Author
    So many people fall for it or don’t notice. You only have to look on trust Pilot. One woman bought one tiny thing. Found out she’d paid 2 years subscription. They won’t give your money back even though they can see you’ve not used the subscription. An honest company would just refund but they design it like this in the hope people pay unknowingly
    Out of curiosity, I did just check their trustpilot. Trustpilot isn't terribly reliable, because most people don't review something unless they've had a bad experience, but also because companies can incentivise customers to leave positive reviews. That being said, it is a good indicator to determine if something is an outright scam.

Their trustpilot score is 4.4/5 stars.
    77% of the reviews are 5 stars
    12% of the reviews are one star
    Of that 12%, most people are complaining about undelivered codes or non-working codes.
    I really do think it's a small minority of people who aren't reading the words clearly displayed in front of them before handing money over. I would implore anyone shopping online to pay attention to what they are paying for before they pay for it.
  3. Avatar
    Haven't shopped with Sports Direct for years but I was LIVID when I discovered there was a sneaky tick box at Checkout where they added one of their hideous giant mugs (can't remember the charge, it was £1, £2?).

Stealthily adding extras to your Basket shouldn't be allowed, but it does happen. (edited)
    Nearly got caught out with that as well. I think this type of thing is now banned in the uk
  4. Avatar
    Yeah you had the subscription box ticked. I think you tick it to get a better price, but it does clearly state that its a subscription service for reduced prices. Need to be more careful when buying stuff online. They will probably refund you if you complain, or if you paid via PayPal, you can open a case with them, though they might side with gamivo, because you did effectively sign up for it
  5. Avatar
    It's not really a scam if you haven't read the t&c's
  6. Avatar
    Anonymous User
    It sounds like “greed blindness” is making people sign up to this rather than them actually hiding it. People think they are getting such a good deal/money off that they just tick/agree to anything even when it’s clearly shown!
    Author
    Greed for 10% off a £3 item. Are you serious?! Don’t fall off that high horseThis whole site is geared to discounts and shopping at dubious sites. If you’re so moral why are you on here. Some of these sites are known as turning a blind eye to how they get codes. Including from stolen credit cards. Getting cheap Netflix using vpns. Shopping at Amazon. I’m quite an ethical person actually. Probably more than you yet you have a dig at me for ticking a box for a discount when discount codes are used all over the place on this site.
  7. Avatar
    I have never read the terms and conditions but when bought from gamivo made sure I wasn't signing up to any discount club as knew would cost but didn't know would auto renew or anything... Seems like bad luck from missing out t and c... Maybe you can get them on european data protection if they auto ticked the box in rather than out eg which epic games store now does for free games and ticks out the please let me know about blah blah conpany (edited)
  8. Avatar
    I've just checked and you do need to 'opt in'
    It clearly says when you click to purchase 'buy now' or 'buy with smart price'.
    The buy with smart price option shows a reduced price, but it further warns you again when you go to cart that it will be €1.99 p/m if you checkout with smart price.
    And even just before you select payment, there is a slider button with the subscription fees listed clearly underneath it, so you are given two or three opportunities to cancel the smartprice subscription, even after you click 'buy with smartprice'
    If you click 'buy now', it just takes you to checkout with the full price item, smartprice is not activated. You do need to uncheck 'customer protection' before you pay, if you don't want to pay 84p for guaranteed refund, but even if you didn't uncheck customer protection, it still wouldn't sign you up for the smartprice sub, you would just be charged a small additional fee on that single purchase.

You can still try to complain and get your money back, but don't be surprised if they refuse based on the clear wording.

I've bought maybe ten or more items from gamivo but never signed up fir smartprice subscription.

Product page
    46077799-lam3Z.jpgBuying options
    46077799-xnkR8.jpgCheckout page
    46077799-ND8TX.jpg
  9. Avatar
    Always read the small print - the price is less for a reason. No scam here
    Author
    It’s duplicitous marketing. And you know it. I’m sure everyone reads the small print to everything !!
  10. Avatar
    Not a scam, just something that catches the unwary out. It's enabled by default which is dubious but it's not a secret hidden option. (edited)
  11. Avatar
    Isnt it a tick box that you have to untick or you get automatically signed up?
  12. Avatar
    Author
    I bought a now tv voucher and on the receipt I’d just bought that. They sent me a 15% off voucher by email and I used that on the purchase. It seems like so many people are being duped by this and with them not refunding even though people aren’t aware and not using it-that they are gaining money from the lack of clarity.

J_.15/11/2021 18:00

I've just checked and you do need to 'opt in'It clearly says when you …I've just checked and you do need to 'opt in'It clearly says when you click to purchase 'buy now' or 'buy with smart price'.The buy with smart price option shows a reduced price, but it further warns you again when you go to cart that it will be €1.99 p/m if you checkout with smart price.And even just before you select payment, there is a slider button with the subscription fees listed clearly underneath it, so you are given two or three opportunities to cancel the smartprice subscription, even after you click 'buy with smartprice'If you click 'buy now', it just takes you to checkout with the full price item, smartprice is not activated. You do need to uncheck 'customer protection' before you pay, if you don't want to pay 84p for guaranteed refund, but even if you didn't uncheck customer protection, it still wouldn't sign you up for the smartprice sub, you would just be charged a small additional fee on that single purchase.You can still try to complain and get your money back, but don't be surprised if they refuse based on the clear wording.I've bought maybe ten or more items from gamivo but never signed up fir smartprice subscription.Product page[Image] Buying options[Image] Checkout page[Image]

They say it’s cover if the codes don’t work so you get guaranteed customer service. But I can’t remember ticking it for that item and certainly didn’t expect a subscription every month. (edited)
  13. Avatar
    Guess the question is, whether you opted for 'Smartprice' or not.

If you're sure you didn't then complain and if you get nowhere take up with your payment provider for an unauthorised charge (PayPal or card). It's usually pretty straightforward.

katestewart927915/11/2021 18:45

I bought a now tv voucher and on the receipt I’d just bought that. They s …I bought a now tv voucher and on the receipt I’d just bought that. They sent me a 15% off voucher by email and I used that on the purchase. It seems like so many people are being duped by this and with them not refunding even though people aren’t aware and not using it-that they are gaining money from the lack of clarity.They say it’s cover if the codes don’t work so you get guaranteed customer service. But I can’t remember ticking it for that item and certainly didn’t expect a subscription every month.

Two different things - 'customer protection' and 'smartprice'. Both optional, only latter is a subscription. (edited)
  14. Avatar
    katestewart927915/11/2021 18:45

I bought a now tv voucher and on the receipt I’d just bought that. They s …I bought a now tv voucher and on the receipt I’d just bought that. They sent me a 15% off voucher by email and I used that on the purchase. It seems like so many people are being duped by this and with them not refunding even though people aren’t aware and not using it-that they are gaining money from the lack of clarity.They say it’s cover if the codes don’t work so you get guaranteed customer service. But I can’t remember ticking it for that item and certainly didn’t expect a subscription every month.

The cover for guaranteed refund is a separate purchase, that's not the Gamivo Smart subscription. In order to get gamivo smart sub, you need to click 'buy with gamivo smart', then add it to cart, then go to checkout and leave the 'gamivo smart' slider on with the fees listed underneath it
  15. Avatar
    I did nearly fall for it once too (first time buying a game from them), but then I slowed myself down and looked properly. I can totally understand why someone would fall for it and it did feel a little bit sneaky on their part but it certainly wasn't a scam. To be fair to Gamivo, I have had quite a few games from them since and I think they are decent.
  16. Avatar
    Author
    Ok. All the sharp eyed perfect folks. If this company was honest then why don’t they refund the money back to people when they can see they haven’t used it. Many people have health problems and foggy brains. If you’ve bought something for a couple of pounds and pay £26 for something you’ve not used them it’s obvious the person hasn’t noticed. But this company does this so it can make more money from duping people
    I do agree with this point re vulnerable individuals. They should be supported to engage in these processes or stay away truth be told. Having vulnerable parents this is a lesson they have learned, and the reason we, as a family, review prospective websites ahead of purchase.
Top Merchants