Groups

garage conversion?

we are planning having our garage converted into a bedroom im just wondering if anyone has had this done and what sort of price we are talking and can anyone reccomend some1 in the north west who does this cheers

9 Comments

Banned

Try:-

[url]www.yell.com[/url]

Banned

Or:-

[url]www.mybuilder.com[/url]

I used this company
    ]http//ww…om/
    although I am in London they are all over the UK. Done an excellent job from start to finish.

Banned

We're gonna do the same thing. Haven't used the integral garage to house a car since we've been here (14 years!)

Assuming its integral(?), you can go ahead and do pretty much what you like - ie you dont need planning permission. (Is it a double skinned wall?) However, assuming you want to resell at some time, you MUST get building regs sorted. This would cost you about £300 to submit. You would need to ensure that the new living area conforms to current building regs. ie insulation mostly. We recently had the house walls fully insulated. We would also need to ensure the roof meets their requirements. To be fair, thats mostly what they would be interested in and will check to make sure it is.

As for costs to convert.... depends what you want doing. We want wholesale changes and not just bricking up the opening plus a window, though we have been quoted about £1500 for that alone. Inside we'd need the floor doing (which I would do), plus the current entry from the house blocked off and a new one created to make the most of the new space. We'd also need it re-wired and the gas and electric meters relocated. I'd put a guess on this work at about £6000 to get the shell up to scratch. After that, its all about what you are spending on the room. Ours will be for a new kitchen - so that bill will rise quite dramatically. Obviously much less if its going to be a playroom or dining room for example.

I keep getting nagged to get the ball rolling on this.... and keep putting it off! I'll allergic to spending lots of dosh!

I would check with your local council about permission to convert. We had our garage converted 2 years ago and we had to get fron northampton borough council (you have to draw diagrams and show where you'll have windows/doors). I can't tell you about costs because my husband did most of the work.

I would advise insulating the room well, it can get quite cold otherwise.

Banned

snessy;3034405

I would check with your local council about permission to convert. We … I would check with your local council about permission to convert. We had our garage converted 2 years ago and we had to get fron northampton borough council (you have to draw diagrams and show where you'll have windows/doors). I can't tell you about costs because my husband did most of the work.I would advise insulating the room well, it can get quite cold otherwise.

Yeh, that will be for building regulations, unless the conversion involved much more than just changing the shell that was the garage. Insulation is probably top of their check lists. Diagrams dont have to be proffessional. Just a reasonable scaled drawing is fine.

we had our part integral converted into a bedroom for our eldest about 5 years ago. It cost around £3000 in total, including large window, heating, electrics etc.
    We only had to have building regs and the bloke that came during construction and after literally poked his head through the door, looked round, "ummed and arrghed", gave me the thumbs up, then left!
    We only used the garage on the odd night when it looked like a frost, so in our eyes was a waste of a room........and since our son has moved out we have turned it into the study

the porter;3034587

Cheers guys yes its an integral garage as my daughter is in a boxroom and … Cheers guys yes its an integral garage as my daughter is in a boxroom and getting older rapidly she needs some space, and the ideal solution is either build on the garage or convert it, its on the back of a kitchen and it would be our bedroom so my daughter could have ours, my m in law just had hers done converted to study and bathroom end cost £9000, our garage has a flat felt room i presume you dont have to change that on a conversion, my mum has just gave me £6000 so im hoping that will cover it it doesnt have to be anything fancy just a bedroom .

ours is a flat roof too which we didnt have to change. I cant imagine not having that room now, and I think £6000 should be plenty for a bedroom :thumbsup:

the porter;3034653

firstly i need to buy a shed to put all the **** in out of the garage and … firstly i need to buy a shed to put all the **** in out of the garage and i have only recently had a glideroll roller garage door on so that will have to be sold i dont think the walls are double skinned i dont know if to start the ball rolling now or wait till after xmas

Our walls arnt double skinned so they made a bracket and put plasterboard over it and insulation between the walls and boarding. The floor also had to be raised to bring it in line with the rest of the house with insulation under it too. We had to buy a new shed too!!! But were also quite ruthless throwing all the carp out. A decent builder probably wont be available for a while so might be best to start the ball rolling now.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      2. What laptop to choose?11
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      4. Laptop screen backlight issue23

See more discussions