Garage Conversion

Posted 27th Nov
I'm am going to contact my insurance in a few days to speak to them about the garage conversion we have had done. I don't want to list it as a bedroom or study / den. It will just be used to sit in during spring and summer. It will only have a settee, side tables, and a couple of small cabinets. Any ideas about what to specify the room as?
3344913.jpg3344913.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Reception room?
Hmm, it is now deemed "habitable" ..best look up that terminology before you attempt to wrestle with both council & insurance
If you're going to 'sit' in it - may I suggest "Sitting Room." ???

I would think your insurance company will guide you anyway as to what it can/will be classed as and you might find it's a limited choice. Bit like when you phone your car insurance bods to change your 'job' specification. They try and find the closest match if they don't have a specific title. It might even go down as 'conservatory' (sun room) for all I know!

Regards, Phsy.
Genuine question, why does it matter what it's listed as, ie study, dining room, family room etc?
Edited by: "spoo" 27th Nov
Utilities room... you can put what you want in it or storage room your storing a couch in it...
Mr_Gus27/11/2019 13:24

Hmm, it is now deemed "habitable" ..best look up that terminology before …Hmm, it is now deemed "habitable" ..best look up that terminology before you attempt to wrestle with both council & insurance

Though we didn't have to, we got the council to inspect and sign off the conversion, so it is only the insurance now.
How much are the local council eyeing up the "council tax" add on for the add on (come the next botched appraisal)?
Mr_Gus27/11/2019 13:53

How much are the local council eyeing up the "council tax" add on for the …How much are the local council eyeing up the "council tax" add on for the add on (come the next botched appraisal)?

Apparently it wont change the council tax. There are bigger houses on the estate (50 houses) that pay exactly the same as ours.
lucky you, our council gets crazy if you insulate more than 25% of a room at a time as to rules & regs you may be subject too!

Therefore in a basic enquiry I was advised to do it in stages over several years "cough"
Predikuesi27/11/2019 14:02

Apparently it wont change the council tax. There are bigger houses on the …Apparently it wont change the council tax. There are bigger houses on the estate (50 houses) that pay exactly the same as ours.

Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 27th Nov
I understood that the council tax band only changes when the property is sold.
JimboParrot27/11/2019 14:30

I understood that the council tax band only changes when the property is …I understood that the council tax band only changes when the property is sold.

Some people on our estate have done amazing extension work on their homes, but they still only in the same council tax band as us. My house is a three bedroom bungalow, while on either side and opposite there are five bed houses. We pay exactly the same as them. Our council are not interested in garage conversion unless they are extended. I got them to sign off the work in case we sold the property in the future.
A "Hobby Room".
As its a room that is fit for everyday use it will probably go down as second living room. The council are known to come out to properties and check what the rooms are used for. Its not really going to make much difference to any bill or the rateable value.

I understood that the council tax band only changes when the property is …I understood that the council tax band only changes when the property is sold.

That's correct.
googley227/11/2019 17:29

As its a room that is fit for everyday use it will probably go down as …As its a room that is fit for everyday use it will probably go down as second living room. The council are known to come out to properties and check what the rooms are used for. Its not really going to make much difference to any bill or the rateable value.

It will make a difference if you were to, for example, classify it as a bedroom & at re-sale of the property you discover that the correct (or any) buildings regulations were not submitted or approved, & you would be forced to either change it back to a garage, or de-classify your property by one bedroom capacity (thus reducing the expected sale price).

Local councils may also have restrictions on conversions because of street parking restrictions.

If your property was in a conservation area there may also be restrictions on what you can (or cannot) do adapting your property/garage/outbuildings for different usage.
You don’t need to worry about listing it as a bedroom or room with the council as it won’t affect council tax until you move house at which point the new owner will pay an increased rate taking into account the room.

You should have declared it to council for building control etc otherwise when you sell you will have a lot of problems.

You may also have issues with covenants and doors and windows, you need fensa and electrical certificates for work carried out.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 27th Nov

Not true.

I did an extension on my old house and sold it and the council tax has stayed the same band C
Local authority
reference number Council Tax band Improvement indicator With effect
from Mixed use
property Court
code 15930000600008 C
No
markvirgo27/11/2019 18:36

Not true.I did an extension on my old house and sold it and the council …Not true.I did an extension on my old house and sold it and the council tax has stayed the same band CLocal authority reference number Council Tax band Improvement indicator With effect from Mixed use property Court code 15930000600008 C No

He means it gets inspected for potential revaluation for council tax purposes. Yours didn't change as you didn't add enough value.
it will be considered as a second reception / living room. i have seen some estate agents described these 2nd receptions as a family room as they are often used as a playroom for the children.
chocci27/11/2019 18:55

He means it gets inspected for potential revaluation for council tax …He means it gets inspected for potential revaluation for council tax purposes. Yours didn't change as you didn't add enough value.

Yes I did, I added over 30% more space and value which I sold for at a profit.
markvirgo27/11/2019 19:32

Yes I did, I added over 30% more space and value which I sold for at a …Yes I did, I added over 30% more space and value which I sold for at a profit.

Well the council obviously didn't think it needed to go into a higher band level. Wish I was only in Band C.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 27th Nov
Well that does it, my new room will be a large hallway & indoor log pile / dog pen / machine room
JimboParrot27/11/2019 19:35

Well the council obviously didn't think it needed to go into a higher band …Well the council obviously didn't think it needed to go into a higher band level. Wish I was only in Band C.

My current property is band D and its a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom and is band D when my neighbours is band E. The difference is that my house has been extended since the banding and it has never been re classified even though it has been sold twice since.
The work was done under planning consent and I have all the paperwork.
The council don't go around re banding all houses that have work done to them.
markvirgo27/11/2019 19:32

Yes I did, I added over 30% more space and value which I sold for at a …Yes I did, I added over 30% more space and value which I sold for at a profit.

Well, obviously you added value but as I said, not enough to go up a band.
markvirgo27/11/2019 19:54

My current property is band D and its a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom and is band …My current property is band D and its a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom and is band D when my neighbours is band E. The difference is that my house has been extended since the banding and it has never been re classified even though it has been sold twice since. The work was done under planning consent and I have all the paperwork.The council don't go around re banding all houses that have work done to them.

Just pray your neighbours don't ask for a reevaluation based on yours being a band lower. They would probably increase yours.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants