Garage conversion with ensuite and kitchenette, convert to living space

Found 27th Nov 2017
I have been to view a house which has had a double garage conversion done.
The conversion has a kitchenette (couple of units and kitchen sink) and a shower room with sink and toilet.
The seller is a beauty therapist and she converted it like that as she uses it for doing hair and beauty treatments on clients.

I would like to use the room as a family room so would want to get rid of kitchennette and shower room, sink and toilet.

My question is, is it quite a straight forward thing to do?
There are no supporting walls to taken down, so no structural work involved.
Is sorting the plumbing an issue in terms of capping of water supply and drains etc.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

At a guess you'd need to see what building control regs would be for turning it in to a habitable room.

I have no idea what I'm saying but hopefully someone will be along soon.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 27th Nov 2017

Might not have anything to do with you but if it's a conversion for work and she had clients going to the house make sure she pays the capital gains tax that should be put on the sale of the house. Also if there was any planning permission and building regs applied and it was passed then surely it would be applied to convert back. The CGT might not be an issue with you but best to check.
Edited by: "caverncity" 27th Nov 2017

caverncity8 m ago

Might not have anything to do with you but if it's a conversion for work …Might not have anything to do with you but if it's a conversion for work and she had clients going to the house make sure she pays the capital gains tax that should be put on the sale of the house. Also if there was any planning permission and building regs applied and it was passed then surely it would be applied to convert back. The CGT might not be an issue with you but best to check.

If she has a CGT liability upon sale then nothing to do with the purchaser - it’s her liability and HMRC would not be able to pursue the purchaser for it.

To answer your question - yes, you should be able to convert it into a family room fairly simply if there is no major structural works involved,

You would need to strip the water pipes back to some convenient point (probably outside of the room) and remove or block off any drains. Any unneeded electrics (shower?) would also need to be pulled back outside of the room. You would need to consider the heating - e.g. if it is radiators are they in the correct place?

Will probably need a good replastering to make good the removed walls/fittings and then a redecoration. Floor and ceilings also need making good.

If you have kids, think carefully about removing a bathroom. As they get older they spend more and more time in there. At least cap the services off with the possibility of reinstalling at a later date. Other than that, it doesn't sound like too hard a job although you may need the wall skimming. The only other thing I would say would be if it was originally a garage, make sure you have enough insulation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions