Garage Misdiagnosis

Found 27th Oct 2009
I was told that my car needed a new oxygen sensor (a small diagnostic machine advised this was the fault causing my engine management light to come on). I took my car to the garage and asked if once the oxygen sensor was replaced the light would go off and all would be fine and was told he would double check everything (including the catalytic convertor). He rang me to say everything else looked fine and proceded to replace the oxygen sensor - cost £126 which I was delighted with.

However, two days later the light came back on again. I called the garage who told me this is the problem with an intermittant fault but to bring it back and he will just have a look at the wiring.

So, if I went to the dentist to have a certain tooth removed and they took the wrong one out, would I still expect to be charged?

Can someone please explain how this all works as it's a very costly business. I may as well have taken my £126 and thrown it down the drain. Yes I have a new oxygen sensor, but there was nothing wrong with the old one and apparently garages don't have to give full refunds!!!!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
8 Comments

It may have well been faulty, it needs to be tested i guess to prove either way, can you get hold of the part ?

Original Poster

If it were faulty, why would the exact same fault occur after they fitted the new one though?

Agree with the last post #4, that seems to be how they are happy to work. Annoying. They will argue the sensor was showing faulty anyway, you might end up with a compromise that when it's cured they 'will do you a favour' and knock 10% off your next bill.

Original Poster

UGH,seems criminal surely!

Banned

A problem in the fuel mixture will cause the oxygen sensor to bring up an error in the engine management. He should have looked elsewhere for the problem first. Oxygen sensors are expensive and thats what you've paid for.

Have you had a full service recently? What car and year etc is it.

Banned

When he does work out which bit has gone wrong he should not charge you for labour. Though you'll have to pay for any parts.

Original Poster

lumoruk;6704843

A problem in the fuel mixture will cause the oxygen sensor to bring up an … A problem in the fuel mixture will cause the oxygen sensor to bring up an error in the engine management. He should have looked elsewhere for the problem first. Oxygen sensors are expensive and thats what you've paid for.Have you had a full service recently? What car and year etc is it.

No, I haven't had a full service recently. It's a Nissan Almera 2000 (W Reg). To be honest it's cost me a fortune. I was stung badly a year ago with the diagnosis of a new chain and tensioner - ended up paying tons of labour and for about 3 sets of ignition coils and then £1000 for the actual job to be done (that was £400 cheaper than the Nissan Garage quoted).

Banned

Whens the MoT due? it's cheaper to get them done at the same time. Ask him to service it then clear the ECU error code
Post a comment
@
    Text