Groups

Garden Fence Erection! Fixing to a wall?

Hi all, we have a breeze block wall for about half of our garden on the right hand size that is about 4ft high and 25ft long. Now the wall is too low for our liking as we can see in two gardens that back on to the side of our property. Do you think it would be okay to put up a 6ft fence using 6ft x 6ft fence panels and attach them directly to the wall using raw plugs and screws rather than using fence posts?
    also they would not be attached on the 2ft overhang at the top? do you think they would carry 2 foot? it is not a particularly windy spot. Thanks in advance.

13 Comments

Notwitstanding the fixing arrangements you need to consider getting planning permission first.

planningportal.gov.uk/eng…ate

If you are staying within the 2m limit then screwing with brackets should hold.

Original Poster

melipona;8549265

Notwitstanding the fixing arrangements you need to consider getting … Notwitstanding the fixing arrangements you need to consider getting planning permission first.http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonfenceswallsgates/workmoreppfencewallgate

Thanks but no planning needed as fence is under 6ft 6" tall

Banned

you need to set the posts in the ground, or it will fall down, not short cuts

jubbyme;8549322

you need to set the posts in the ground, or it will fall down, not short … you need to set the posts in the ground, or it will fall down, not short cuts

not using posts fixing directly to the wall, as it says at the top ^^^^

Original Poster

hellfire;8549355

thanks hellfire, yeah I'm not using posts but was going to fix each panel in multiple place to wall, surely this would be as strong as if I were using posts. I would put posts in front but due to the foundations of the wall this would be difficult.

Banned

hellfire;8549355

yes, thats the problem!

the footings of the wall will be leverage by the extra fencing, and break, and the panels will have little support anyhow, and break

must use posts, set into ground at intervals, and go from there

My neighbour fixed posts to a block wall and attached some fence panels and with the wind the posts eventually came loose from the wall as i would suspect the panels would do also

Banned

use frame fixings into the mortar joints of the wall, I personally prefer the screw types without the need for plugs

Original Poster

goldmax;8549421

use frame fixings into the mortar joints of the wall, I personally prefer … use frame fixings into the mortar joints of the wall, I personally prefer the screw types without the need for plugs

you think these would be substanial enough, something like below??

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/29/p4090929_x.jpg

Banned

:thumbsup:

dave_lunt2;8549452

you think these would be substanial enough, something like below??

they look good enough, or you can buy the brick screw type which uses no plug , I used these to screw plywood to a breeze wall prior to plastering , this allowed me to hang my 50 inch plasma safely

Original Poster

goldmax;8549498

:thumbsup:they look good enough, or you can buy the brick screw type … :thumbsup:they look good enough, or you can buy the brick screw type which uses no plug , I used these to screw plywood to a breeze wall prior to plastering , this allowed me to hang my 50 inch plasma safely

sorry to be a pain Goldmax and thanks for your help, but do you know where I can get screws that don't need plugs and what do they look like? I'm lookin on screwfix but not sure what I'm looking for.

Banned

Hi Dave, just type 'star fix' into search on screwfix site

Teeheehee..erection!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1227
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
      4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions