Garden full of weeds - what’s easiest solution?

Posted 23rd May
I’m really not sure what to do about the garden being full of weeds.
I put weed killer, killed them, next day new ones were growing...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
40851537-84lK7.jpg
47 Comments
Strimmer or fire seem the only other options?
Share a pic please?
Electric weeder to burn them. Strimming won't kill them and does a good job of encouraging growth and spreading any seeds.
Rosate 36
It will kill everything mind, and be careful. A 5l tub for about £30 from ebay will last years. Keep your pets in till its dry too.
Takes between a few days and few weeks for everything to die.
Edited by: "julieallen" 23rd May
40851537-84lK7.jpg
Buy a hoe!
britlad23/05/2020 20:26

Weedkiller is a cheaper option and lasts longer..

Obviously not according to poster !!
Move House
Pull them up the old fashioned way, get as much for up as possible. Then weed kill to any residue.

Will stay clear much longer then.
I've found the readily available weedkiller to be a waste of time on my gravel drive but after looking online I've tried vinegar and it works much better and it's a lot cheaper. Probably not practical on a garden full of them though.
wolvesinwales23/05/2020 23:11

I've found the readily available weedkiller to be a waste of time on my …I've found the readily available weedkiller to be a waste of time on my gravel drive but after looking online I've tried vinegar and it works much better and it's a lot cheaper. Probably not practical on a garden full of them though.

Which vinegar did you buy? Link please. Guess it's not your kitchen vinegar, maybe something a lot stronger.
Killer23/05/2020 23:23

Which vinegar did you buy? Link please. Guess it's not your kitchen …Which vinegar did you buy? Link please. Guess it's not your kitchen vinegar, maybe something a lot stronger.

When I first read up on it high acidity vinegar was recommended, the first time I shopped for it I couldn't find any so thought I'd just try a cheap bottle of regular stuff I think it was 30p for half a litre from Poundstretchers and it worked.
40853524-FUBUD.jpg
Salt it!
wolvesinwales23/05/2020 23:37

When I first read up on it high acidity vinegar was recommended, the first …When I first read up on it high acidity vinegar was recommended, the first time I shopped for it I couldn't find any so thought I'd just try a cheap bottle of regular stuff I think it was 30p for half a litre from Poundstretchers and it worked.

Thanks mate, will give it a go.
This is the easiest solution:

40854260-f2PFa.jpg
broycey23/05/2020 23:41

[Image] Salt it!

Smother my garden in salt like a chippy?
OP, what are you hoping to achieve?

A good weedkiller will kill everything.
Do you have many actual plants growing , if not and it’s really bad you could use the old allotment method of covering the soil with old carpet or the like to smother the weeds , but depends on what sort of area you are looking at . Obviously not an attractive method , but works if you have a really bad problem .
u66454124/05/2020 08:18

OP, what are you hoping to achieve?A good weedkiller will kill everything.

Link?

After spraying weedkiller I use a tool to scrape out the root. It takes about 3 months and they start regrowing.

We need a permanent solution please.
u66454124/05/2020 08:18

OP, what are you hoping to achieve?A good weedkiller will kill everything.

No more weed
tinkerbellian24/05/2020 08:27

Do you have many actual plants growing , if not and it’s really bad you c …Do you have many actual plants growing , if not and it’s really bad you could use the old allotment method of covering the soil with old carpet or the like to smother the weeds , but depends on what sort of area you are looking at . Obviously not an attractive method , but works if you have a really bad problem .

That would work yeah
How long would I need to leave it?
Where are the weeds growing? On gravel? Through gaps in paving/concrete? On bare soil? On soil with other small plants in?
tarmac it and plant pots
EndlessWaves24/05/2020 11:07

Where are the weeds growing? On gravel? Through gaps in paving/concrete? …Where are the weeds growing? On gravel? Through gaps in paving/concrete? On bare soil? On soil with other small plants in?

Through gaps in ppavin
Dehumidifier water kills weeds.
EndlessWaves24/05/2020 11:07

Where are the weeds growing? On gravel? Through gaps in paving/concrete? …Where are the weeds growing? On gravel? Through gaps in paving/concrete? On bare soil? On soil with other small plants in?

Just in the garden grass area
Also idk why that other guy is replying
Aidang9424/05/2020 13:58

Huh how what I’m so confused

If you have one at home or even the small window ones. Use that water. Pour them where it's growing.
Aidang9424/05/2020 13:57

Just in the garden grass area Also idk why that other guy is replying

So you're trying to get rid of unwanted plants in a lawn?

I don't think there's anything you can do to stop new plants spouting while also allowing the grass to grow. If you don't want to use weedkillers forever more then consider targeting just the weeds you dislike most, if you can get the plants growing alongside the grass to be stuff you don't mind then they'll help crowd out the plants you don't like.
AgentSmith24/05/2020 13:57

Dehumidifier water kills weeds.

I can't possibly see how dehumidifier water can kill weeds, all it is is evaporated water that has been cooled and turned back into a liquid (distilled) just the same as rain, and weeds love rain.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 24th May
Dehumidifier water is actually considered good for plants.

If you've got weeds coming up between paving slabs (as someone mentioned) you need to see if a membrane has been laid under the slabs. If not, then put one down but it could be a big job! If you have then the weeds will be growing elsewhere and seeding into the gaps between the slabs. Therefore re-point the gaps.

Weeds in the lawn - on your hands and knees with a kneeling mat and a trowel and hand fork.
PaulandPam24/05/2020 15:43

I can't possibly see how dehumidifier water can kill weeds, all it is is …I can't possibly see how dehumidifier water can kill weeds, all it is is evaporated water that has been cooled and turned back into a liquid (distilled) just the same as rain, and weeds love rain.

It's stripped of minerals. Use on plants will mean mineral deficiency for plants. The water sits stagnant too which invites pathogens.
If there are weeds growing wild next door it could be an up hill battle.
Aidang9424/05/2020 13:57

Just in the garden grass area Also idk why that other guy is replying

Mow/strim it low first then use weed, feed and seed as per the instructions (normally a few days after mowing).
Keep it mowed short and repeat treatments.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions