Garden renovation waste collection

Posted 15th Apr
What can I do with some waste produced over the lockdown boredom
I had rotten decking that needed serious renovation, but I've decided to replace it with lawn.
It wasn't huge (2m x 5m) but I need to dispose of it. Now I remember hearing you can request your council to remove some bigger waste, but can't actually find information about it online. Perhaps it's only in certain locations?
Or is what I heard just a fable?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

11 Comments
I think the bigger waste they’d be willing to take away (if the service hasn’t been suspended) refers to bulky items such as beds, settees and household appliances, rather than garden waste.
I'd be surprised if you can get the council to collect it at the moment to be honest!

With our local council, you can normally put a request in for them to collect "bulky waste" but they've stopped all of that and normal garden waste collections for the forseeable future. Obviously each council is different though! If you can't see anything on their website, it sounds like it's probably not available. You might just have to wait until recycling centres reopen!
Psychobunni15/04/2020 12:47

I'd be surprised if you can get the council to collect it at the moment to …I'd be surprised if you can get the council to collect it at the moment to be honest!With our local council, you can normally put a request in for them to collect "bulky waste" but they've stopped all of that and normal garden waste collections for the forseeable future. Obviously each council is different though! If you can't see anything on their website, it sounds like it's probably not available. You might just have to wait until recycling centres reopen!

Will the recycling centres take it? I would still probably need to hire a van to do it
Our council has suspended bulky collections, but there are a few local companies that come and collect waste. Make sure they have proper facilities though, Google maps is handy for that.
vivi_ssj315/04/2020 12:49

Will the recycling centres take it? I would still probably need to hire a …Will the recycling centres take it? I would still probably need to hire a van to do it

If it's just wooden decking then they should do! Our local one has a section for wood and timber and another one for garden waste
Edited by: "Psychobunni" 15th Apr
Pandamansays15/04/2020 12:50

Our council has suspended bulky collections, but there are a few local …Our council has suspended bulky collections, but there are a few local companies that come and collect waste. Make sure they have proper facilities though, Google maps is handy for that.

Same with my council
hippowaste.co.uk They do bulk bags in various sizes for removal.
advertise firewood for collection on gumtree/fb marketplace
Skips still available. Some have the bags you fill and they take but it's going to cost
Thanks everyone, I will wait until recycle centre reopens, meanwhile I can cut the decking up, so it fits in my Civic
I’ve started landscaping my garden , pulled up all the raised patio and digging it out , I’ve got loads waste but I’ve busted pulled it in one corner until I can get a skip and also wait till the recycling centre opens
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions