Groups

Garden Shredder

I have several trees and bushes to cut down in my back garden. I was planning on using a garden shredder and then recycle the chippings on the rest of the garden.

Point is that I don't know where to start when buying a garden shredder. Is it better to hire one or if buying what specifications do you recommend?

:?

9 Comments

A normally cheapy chipper from B&Q works ok depending on the thickness of the branches.

One should be careful when trimmings ones bush.

Iom-RF

A normally cheapy chipper from B&Q works ok depending on the thickness of … A normally cheapy chipper from B&Q works ok depending on the thickness of the branches.One should be careful when trimmings ones bush.

Try using Veet!

stora, buy a compact one if you have the space to store it as you'll be able to work at your own pace. I think many gardens will have something annually to shred. Foliage will compost much quicker when shredded.

I wish I knew what the most reliable, cost effective and best value shredder was as I'd like one myself.

Original Poster

retropolis

stora, buy a compact one if you have the space to store it as you'll be … stora, buy a compact one if you have the space to store it as you'll be able to work at your own pace. I think many gardens will have something annually to shred. Foliage will compost much quicker when shredded.I wish I knew what the most reliable, cost effective and best value shredder was as I'd like one myself.

What is a 'compact' one. I really have no idea what to look for.

stora

What is a 'compact' one. I really have no idea what to look for.

They come in a range of sizes right up to those huge monsters the council and established tree surgeons use. (Ones that are truck towed)

The domestic ones sold at the superstores will all run on electricity and all, I'm sure will be compact in size. If you plan to buy then smaller (compact) is desirable obviously as it won't take up too much storage space.

we have got through quite a few of the garden shreeders and personaly dont waste your money, you either have to buy a decent one which is quite expensive or what we do now is hire one, the ones that you get in b and q are too small and block up and you can only put a twig in at a time , takes ages, so going by my experience hire one and make sure its big and can cope with thicker and bigger branches , not twigs. good luck. :thumbsup:

sofiamary

we have got through quite a few of the garden shreeders and personaly … we have got through quite a few of the garden shreeders and personaly dont waste your money, you either have to buy a decent one which is quite expensive or what we do now is hire one, the ones that you get in b and q are too small and block up and you can only put a twig in at a time , takes ages, so going by my experience hire one and make sure its big and can cope with thicker and bigger branches , not twigs. good luck. :thumbsup:

Yes, you will damage or break any unit if you exceed the recommended width of branches which I think on average for superstore models is a quarter inch!

I agree that they are relatively slow and restrictive but I disagree about hiring one. Too many people think shredders are for branches only. Many DIY garden enthusiasts with hedges, herbaceous plants etc. who are interested in recycling and composting will benefit by owning one, not only by having a mulch to suppress weeds and retain moisture but also how quick compost can be made because of the shredding of leaves. Of course most small gardens won't warrant the regular use of a garden shredder.

It's only worth hiring a shreeder for one off jobs where the branches are too large for the domesticated models. Always follow the instructions and never be tempted to put through branches too large.

I'd like to buy a decent mains model, not the cheapest!

Buy a chainsaw?, Cheaper option?

Original Poster

Iom-RF

Buy a chainsaw?, Cheaper option?

I have a couple of trees that are about 30 foot or so, so I will be using a chainsaw too :).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are the free antivirus any good?78
      2. LG G4 Replacement44
      3. I would not recommend anyone to buy tickets in viagogo44
      4. Disney descendants duvet35

See more discussions