Garden Sleepers - best value?

Posted 3rd Mar
Hi, planning a raised patio area using sleeper edging to then fill with hardcore etc to raise ground level about 20cm for patio. wondering if anyone could recommend decent sleeper supplier that delivers? I know can get from wickes etc but seen a lot better value - however I know they vary in quality a lot! any recommendations as to what you've used before very welcome! thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
First off check they are hardwood if new, too many naff softwood ones that don't last.

Old school railway sleepers were typically an Australian hardwood that burnt like coal ...& has lots of chemical spray, preservatives, spikes, & maybe a lot of absorbed but long gone sewage gone over it.

Good oak processing place in corby that does them if you are near-ish, & yes they do deliver, you didn't put your location which makes folks interaction harder.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 3rd Mar
Local timber merchants probably have them but you don't say where you are so it's impossible to tell! Most timber merchants are reasonably local businesses, not national.
I got Wickes ones 5 years ago and they are still the same as purchase day. Think they come rated for water submersion and 15yr guarantee due to being pressure treated.
Thanks, sorry yes I'm oxfordshire/buckinghamshire border. I was thinking reclaimed but I know prior to 2003 they could have some fairly nasty stuff in that has been known to affect plants and veg if using as a raised bed etc. There are some national companies like sure green and UK-sleepers etc seem to be fairly competitive.
stjimmy201604/03/2020 10:46

Thanks, sorry yes I'm oxfordshire/buckinghamshire border. I was thinking …Thanks, sorry yes I'm oxfordshire/buckinghamshire border. I was thinking reclaimed but I know prior to 2003 they could have some fairly nasty stuff in that has been known to affect plants and veg if using as a raised bed etc. There are some national companies like sure green and UK-sleepers etc seem to be fairly competitive.

I use these guys having visited their site & been able to choose my wood, they were also very helpful with the delivery timeframe & unloading of a full 40 footer with their lorry crane. ..driver was excellent, staff were excellent.

They do have a delivery rota, so maybe I got lucky, however chatting with the md in his office he made time to print me out directions to a sprawling rat run business park that I had to visit next for sawdust of all things, ...concientious staff to a man when I used them, so happy to recommend them to be checked out.
When I visited (to check wood quality) I was able to walk around, select pieces, ..noticed a constant throughflow of people who were all given the same degree of attention even for a bit of varnish matching that cost £7 ..all from a portacabin in the wood yard.

uk-timber.co.uk/

Very EXTENSIVE website, so sit down with a cup of tea & don't forget to browse any specials uk-timber.co.uk/313…ers

If in doubt, ring & ask how far their delivery route is.
(no connection to the company other than as a happy client)
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 6th Mar
Mr_Gus06/03/2020 11:05

I use these guys having visited their site & been able to choose my wood, …I use these guys having visited their site & been able to choose my wood, they were also very helpful with the delivery timeframe & unloading of a full 40 footer with their lorry crane. ..driver was excellent, staff were excellent.They do have a delivery rota, so maybe I got lucky, however chatting with the md in his office he made time to print me out directions to a sprawling rat run business park that I had to visit next for sawdust of all things, ...concientious staff to a man when I used them, so happy to recommend them to be checked out.When I visited (to check wood quality) I was able to walk around, select pieces, ..noticed a constant throughflow of people who were all given the same degree of attention even for a bit of varnish matching that cost £7 ..all from a portacabin in the wood yard.https://www.uk-timber.co.uk/Very EXTENSIVE website, so sit down with a cup of tea & don't forget to browse any specials https://www.uk-timber.co.uk/313-clearance-sleepersIf in doubt, ring & ask how far their delivery route is.(no connection to the company other than as a happy client)

Thanks so much for this- just checked out and looks a really good range.
No problem, hope it works out for you financially vs order amount / delivery rounds...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants