Garden water tap connectors for hoses !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Found 8th Sep 2012
So i have a tap in the garden....GREAT.

So ive bought a hose reel. Ive bought all the connectors.

Ive also bought a 1/2 tap connector AND a 3/4 tap connector. The 1/2 is way too small to screw onto the tap and the 3/4 is way too big.

Anyone know what other sizes are available? because all i can see is 1" - 1/2" - 3/4"

Any alan titchmarsh's on here?!?
Community Updates
MiscGardenHoseTap
16 Comments
Does it look like something quite new or one thats been there for years. If its new it may be a european type connector.

There used to be some really thin waterproof tape (PTFE?) that you could wind around a pipe /connector if there was not a close fit. Dont know if it would work for you. Someone else may advise something else
You want a thread adapter like this one
http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatalog/2175.jpg

It's the converter that is the white part in the picture that you wont....I have a set of them, as every tap at the slip ramps I visit seams to have a different size tap.
Edited by: "slamdunkin" 8th Sep 2012
5/8" bsp
slamdunkin

It's the converter that is the white part in the picture that you … It's the converter that is the white part in the picture that you wont....I have a set of them, as every tap at the slip ramps I visit seams to have a different size tap.

If that is the thing then Poundland/ Poundworld both stock these items.
slamdunkin

It's the converter that is the white part in the picture that you … It's the converter that is the white part in the picture that you wont....I have a set of them, as every tap at the slip ramps I visit seams to have a different size tap.

Actually thats what I have on my tap. Should have checked X)
As far as i can measure, (please correct me if im wrong)

1/2 is 21mm
3/8 is 26mm

I need about 23mm connector...

I have bought the white connector as pictured above but its 21mm i need a tad bigger.

The tap looks as though its been on my house for atleast 30 years.
1" is coming up at 25.4 mm, so 1/2" is going to be 12.7mm - or am I off my head? lol.
What about lots and lots of PTFE tape on the white thread? or is it too big for that?
aircanman

What about lots and lots of PTFE tape on the white thread? or is it too … What about lots and lots of PTFE tape on the white thread? or is it too big for that?

Too big for that.

I think.... i need the 5/8 as mentioned above. Trust me to have a rare tap on my garden that hardly anyone supports. It seems 1/2 - 3/4 - 1" are common. 5/8 are rare. Cheapest i can find the connector now is £6.30!! compared to just £1 for the other common ones.

May be cheaper to change the whole tap completely.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 8th Sep 2012
J4GG4

Too big for that.I think.... i need the 5/8 as mentioned above. Trust me … Too big for that.I think.... i need the 5/8 as mentioned above. Trust me to have a rare tap on my garden that hardly anyone supports. It seems 1/2 - 3/4 - 1" are common. 5/8 are rare. Cheapest i can find the connect now is £6.30!! compared to just £1 for the other common ones.

Lol, always the way tho aint it!
Infact. Its £6.30 for just the connector. Or £4.64 for a whole new 1/2 tap. Think i will get the new tap lol. Knowing my luck i will get the £6.30 connector then the tap will need replacing and i wont be able to find a 5/8 tap lol.

But then will the connector, connecting the tap to the pipe be the same size if i buy a new tap?!??!?!?

Jesus this is so hard.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 8th Sep 2012
J4GG4. Please can you tell me where you found the connector for £6.30. Unfortunately I have the same size tap as you- a real pain and have a bit of a heath robinson affair attached to it to adapt it to a hose.
kt21

J4GG4. Please can you tell me where you found the connector for £6.30. … J4GG4. Please can you tell me where you found the connector for £6.30. Unfortunately I have the same size tap as you- a real pain and have a bit of a heath robinson affair attached to it to adapt it to a hose.

Sure, couple of places..

Ebay (sold by williamstools) :
ebay.co.uk/itm…443

Amazon (sold by tools247) :
amazon.co.uk/G79…AYK

Alternate is to get a new tap

Toolstation (£4.63):
toolstation.com/sho…844

Some PTFE tape can also be bought from toolstation for 20p or 40p...something daft.
Thankyou fvery much for that. the tap looks a good price but will try a connector first I think, a lot less hassle a nd less potential for further problems.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants