Gardeners.... want to plant a climber against my wall but only got 15cm depth before I hit rock solid bottom?

9 replies
Found 25th Sep 2016
Big bare, strange part of house front that I would like to cover with some climbers.

Hubby could only dig 15cm deep then it was rock bottom. Is 15cm depth good enough for planting climbers? I could do a longer wider strip of compost to make up for it, would that work?

Thanks!

9 Comments

It will stunt their growth but you can get a deep pot and then cut out the bottom to add depth?
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 25th Sep 2016

Original Poster

sowotsdis

It will stunt their growth but you can get a deep pot and then cut out … It will stunt their growth but you can get a deep pot and then cut out the bottom to add depth?

mmm but wouldnt it look a bit silly seeing the pot at the bottom with climber growing up the wall? Not sure, but thanks for the idea!

No, not really if its a nice clay pot and you're bold
I did it at the front of the house and got complimented not to say how many neighbours said how innovative it was with buulbs planted at the top and ivy falling below!
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 25th Sep 2016

Wouldn't be deep enough for clematis but ivy would survive

wouldnt the roots just spread outwards rather than down anyway?

I just wouldn't. Get a trellis planter.

Banned

Get a pickaxe, the soil in my garden is terrible, you can't get more than 30cm deep before you're going to need a digger, pickaxe makes short work of it and you get a free workout.

WonkyDoctor

Get a pickaxe, the soil in my garden is terrible, you can't get more than … Get a pickaxe, the soil in my garden is terrible, you can't get more than 30cm deep before you're going to need a digger, pickaxe makes short work of it and you get a free workout.

I wouldn't could a gas mains running under it

psychobitchfromhell

Wouldn't be deep enough for clematis but ivy would survive

​I have a clematis growing all over the side of my garage and it's rooted in less than 6 inches of earth.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 3 Spotify family places available33
    2. EA shuts down Visceral Games.68
    3. hotukdeals features in current edition of computer active magazine57
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427914643

See more discussions