Gardening

Found 28th Apr
hello hukd'ers, looking for advice about gardening. with the time of year for looking after my garden, I'm finding bald patches, like my head lol. Anyhoo, I've tried planting grass seeds ( may be poor seeds ) turning the soil, adding mulch to help the soil, nothing is helping. it's where the dogs been urinating. when he does it, I pour water over it to dilute it. Will these patches be dead forever?
again if anyone knows anything, I've tried google, it would be greatly appreciated
Community Updates
AskGardening
14 Comments
Be better off putting sofa water on it to neutralise the acid. Or get some of these Petwell
I like the petwell idea lol
Oops, just reread my post. Should be soda water.
mrty6 m ago

Oops, just reread my post. Should be soda water.

I actually googled sofa water lol soon realised you meant soda 😄
Or get some of These
ding6 h, 5 m ago

Or get some of These

Thanks for the link, can't help but feel skeptical when I see things like that, despite the reviews.
We are doing fine with the prevention of more bald patches of grass, I just wanna restore the one's that are looking dead.
Thanks anyways
Rather than start a thread of my own but does anyone know how to feed a cherry tree that's in a large pot? It's a dwarf variety, looks healthy and is flowering for the first time (bought it last year). I'd just like to nurture it and keep it strong.

Good luck with your bald patch O/P and sorry for hijacking, just don't think my problem warrants a thread of its own.
Edited by: "GlentoranMark" 29th Apr
GlentoranMark11 m ago

Rather than start a thread of my own but does anyone know how to feed a …Rather than start a thread of my own but does anyone know how to feed a cherry tree that's in a large pot? It's a dwarf variety, looks healthy and is flowering for the first time (bought it last year). I'd just like to nurture it and keep it strong.Good luck with your bald patch O/P and sorry for hijacking, just don't think my problem warrants a thread of its own.

Just chuck some horse poo in the pot on top of the soil but don't let it touch the actual tree.
Dyslexic_Dog7 m ago

Just chuck some horse poo in the pot on top of the soil but don't let it …Just chuck some horse poo in the pot on top of the soil but don't let it touch the actual tree.

Cheers, now all I need is to find a horse (I know someone with a pony but it would have to rot for 6 months). I'll get some in B&Q, expensive iirc but I'll only need a small bag. Thanks for your help, never considered manure (was thinking some sort of pellets.)
STRICKIBHOY5 h, 1 m ago

Thanks for the link, can't help but feel skeptical when I see things like …Thanks for the link, can't help but feel skeptical when I see things like that, despite the reviews. We are doing fine with the prevention of more bald patches of grass, I just wanna restore the one's that are looking dead. Thanks anyways

I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd suggest either replacing the top couple of inches of soil (grass roots aren't deep) before planting fresh seed, as it is probably too rich in nitrogen from the ammonia,or forking (spiking) the bald patch to improve drainage and aeration and leave it for at least a month or two of rain to dilute it before reseeding.

Googling suggests those rocks are sulphur, not sure if that is good for the diet, and If I'd stuck rocks in my last dogs bowl, he'd have probably swallowed some as he liked to pick up and play with bits of rock.
melted54 m ago

I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know what …I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd suggest either replacing the top couple of inches of soil (grass roots aren't deep) before planting fresh seed, as it is probably too rich in nitrogen from the ammonia,or forking (spiking) the bald patch to improve drainage and aeration and leave it for at least a month or two of rain to dilute it before reseeding. Googling suggests those rocks are sulphur, not sure if that is good for the diet, and If I'd stuck rocks in my last dogs bowl, he'd have probably swallowed some as he liked to pick up and play with bits of rock.

Yeah my dog's the same, the rocks may work for some, but are out the question for him. Replacing the soil will be my next move. I'll try different grass seeds too. Been buying supermarkets own brand and tried evergreen, worth no results. Cheers
GlentoranMark2 h, 51 m ago

Rather than start a thread of my own but does anyone know how to feed a …Rather than start a thread of my own but does anyone know how to feed a cherry tree that's in a large pot? It's a dwarf variety, looks healthy and is flowering for the first time (bought it last year). I'd just like to nurture it and keep it strong.Good luck with your bald patch O/P and sorry for hijacking, just don't think my problem warrants a thread of its own.

No worries mate, good luck with the cherry tree
Is there anything on Youtube for producing a perfect lawn? I'd imagine all it would take is a bit of TLC and melted's suggestion.

Thanks Strickibhoy, got my question answered and you must be a happy chappy after thrashing your rivals today (I don't follow Scottish football but I've a few mates who I know not to approach today )
GlentoranMark28 m ago

Is there anything on Youtube for producing a perfect lawn? I'd imagine all …Is there anything on Youtube for producing a perfect lawn? I'd imagine all it would take is a bit of TLC and melted's suggestion.Thanks Strickibhoy, got my question answered and you must be a happy chappy after thrashing your rivals today (I don't follow Scottish football but I've a few mates who I know not to approach today )

I've seen things with machines that tear holes in the ground that turn the soil and lay seeds, but look a bit ott or designed for bigger areas.
I am a very happy chappy, your friends will be bears with sore heads lol. Hope they bounce back soon
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants