Groups

Gardening advice. Seed propagators

Thinking of growing my own flowers (pertunia's etc), but unsure where to start. havent got a greenhouse so was thinking of getting some of them seed propagators. i was simply going to put them on the windowsill.

how long does it usually take before the plants can be put out in the garden. this is possibly a stupid question to the advanced gardener, but advice is appreciated....

18 Comments

Original Poster

csiman;8038000

good sitehttp://www.gardenguides.com/

at first glance seems more like a design your garden site as to simply planting a few seeds & watching them grow....

Sometimes it will say on the packet. If you go to the Nicky's Seeds website you can see the sowing & transplanting instructions before you buy;

nickys-nursery.co.uk/gar…d-f

Edit: Just googled 'how long before I can transplant petunia seeds' & the first result said 10-12 weeks.

Time to plant outdoors will vary on where you live as they need to be hardened off first under cover outdoors, then planted out when all signs of frost have passed.
    some good sites given above, any more questions why not pop them in this thread.........a very friendly bunch of folk in there hotukdeals.com/ite…pic

Try [url]www.bbc.co.uk/gardening[/url] it is usually pretty good . The seed packet should have information about when to plant indoors/outdoors etcon the back.

For some tips on how to prepare your propagators for the seeds have a look at Question 1 on here bbc.co.uk/rad…ns/

Or about growing Petunias garden-grower.com/flo…tml

Good luck

Original Poster

think understanding it a little more now. if im correcting in thinking the seed propagators are just to get the seeds started, once there big enough you take them out and then let them grow in a greenhouse until ready for plant.

lanc_red;8038137

think understanding it a little more now. if im correcting in thinking … think understanding it a little more now. if im correcting in thinking the seed propagators are just to get the seeds started, once there big enough you take them out and then let them grow in a greenhouse until ready for plant.

yes, once they have 3 leaves then p r i c k them out into individual small pots to give them a good chance to grow, harden off outdoors under cover, then plant when all signs of frost have past:thumbsup:

bitseylango;8038153

yes, once they have 3 leaves then p r i c k them out into individual … yes, once they have 3 leaves then p r i c k them out into individual small pots to give them a good chance to grow, harden off outdoors under cover, then plant when all signs of frost have past:thumbsup:

Morning Bitsey - we have had a breakthrough on HUKD - we are now allowed to use the word prick - but obviously only in the correct context :-D

Chesso asked for it be removed from the swear filter because of her gardening thread.

could get yourself plastic green house for now - cheap as chips

amazon.co.uk/Gar…D1S

nettos seeeds only 19p - plus freebies you can ssend away for

happy gardening:thumbsup:

Banned

Hi Lancs,

I am planting petunia today.

I am putting them in trays and then using my BBQ which has a shelf underneath and the grill bit on top as a shelf unit.

I am going to put plastic over the top to save them from frost and rain.

bitseylango;8038127

Time to plant outdoors will vary on where you live as they need to be … Time to plant outdoors will vary on where you live as they need to be hardened off first under cover outdoors, then planted out when all signs of frost have passed. some good sites given above, any more questions why not pop them in this thread.........a very friendly bunch of folk in there http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/624433/over-the-garden-fence-2010-chat-pic

pestiewesties;8038136

Try [url]www.bbc.co.uk/gardening[/url] it is usually pretty good . The … Try [url]www.bbc.co.uk/gardening[/url] it is usually pretty good . The seed packet should have information about when to plant indoors/outdoors etcon the back.For some tips on how to prepare your propagators for the seeds have a look at Question 1 on here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/gardeners-question-time/top-ten-questions/Or about growing Petunias http://www.garden-grower.com/flowers/petunia.shtmlGood luck

lanc_red;8038137

think understanding it a little more now. if im correcting in thinking … think understanding it a little more now. if im correcting in thinking the seed propagators are just to get the seeds started, once there big enough you take them out and then let them grow in a greenhouse until ready for plant.

bitseylango;8038153

yes, once they have 3 leaves then p r i c k them out into individual … yes, once they have 3 leaves then p r i c k them out into individual small pots to give them a good chance to grow, harden off outdoors under cover, then plant when all signs of frost have past:thumbsup:

sassie;8038796

lots of friendly advice and chit chat here … lots of friendly advice and chit chat here http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/624433/over-the-garden-fence-2010-chat-pic

Yes please join in with our garden chat thread, L_red and pestie:thumbsup:

Like Bossy says, pricking out is now an acceptable phrase!!:-D

Banned

ooops didnt see bitseys post

holly100;8038188

could get yourself plastic green house for now - cheap as … could get yourself plastic green house for now - cheap as chipshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-3-Tier-Mini-Greenhouse/dp/B000288D1Snettos seeeds only 19p - plus freebies you can ssend away forhappy gardening:thumbsup:

That's actually waaaaaaaaaay expensive. Poundstretchers are selling the same thing but for something under a tenner.

sassie;8038828

ooops didnt see bitseys post

If a thing's worth saying ..... :-D

chesso;8038823

Yes please join in with our garden chat thread, L_red and … Yes please join in with our garden chat thread, L_red and pestie:thumbsup: Like Bossy says, pricking out is now an acceptable phrase!!:-D

haha! I sent Lancs a pm this morning with the link. I am just heading out into the garden just now and will report back to you in the gardening thread :thumbsup:

Banned

dxx;8038829

That's actually waaaaaaaaaay expensive. Poundstretchers are selling the … That's actually waaaaaaaaaay expensive. Poundstretchers are selling the same thing but for something under a tenner.

Wilkinson and B&M sell them also.

You can buy heated propagators as well

hotukdeals.com/ite…y-9

My seeds came up in less than 2 days!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?22
      2. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30384
      3. PlayStation Hacked Again?44
      4. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1217