Gardening/ Bedding Plants help please

Found 26th Jul
Hi

I have two troughs for planting some stuff in.

They are about 60cm x 15cm.

They will be in a pretty exposed area and will get the morning, and midday sun.

I will fill with some stones and then a couple of bags of compost, but have no idea what to put in them.

It either needs to look pretty and require no maintenance, or useful like herbs etc? I like the herbs idea.

I just want to walk into a garden centre with a list please.

Pictures will be provided to the winner.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Top comments
Don’t plant anything at the moment, it’s too hot and will die. Wait for it to cool down a little.
17 Comments
34497781-m8tiT.jpgpetunias always look good
34497781-kZ6ct.jpgas do herbs
psychobitchfromhell54 m ago

[Image] petunias always look good[Image] as do herbs

I see you've been to Lidl, I meant to pick some of those pots (in the bottom picture) up to grow strawberries in but forgot!
Dyslexic_Dog36 m ago

I see you've been to Lidl, I meant to pick some of those pots (in the …I see you've been to Lidl, I meant to pick some of those pots (in the bottom picture) up to grow strawberries in but forgot!

They had strawberries in last year. I really like them. Next time they come in i may buy more
Best to grow the herbs that you use in cooking, Thyme is great, you can get lots of varieties, oregano and curry plant. You can mix and match with flowering plants, many plants at home base are reduced. I got some great trailing begonias 6 in a tray for £1.50, they will just keep flowering. You could plant some said leaves or cut and come again lettuce as it is so warm
34499709-VHUTF.jpg
Don’t plant anything at the moment, it’s too hot and will die. Wait for it to cool down a little.
cmdr_elito49 m ago

Don’t plant anything at the moment, it’s too hot and will die. Wait for it …Don’t plant anything at the moment, it’s too hot and will die. Wait for it to cool down a little.

I've planted quite a lot over the last week or so and its been ok . I've been a gardener for many years though.
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

I've planted quite a lot over the last week or so and its been ok . I've …I've planted quite a lot over the last week or so and its been ok . I've been a gardener for many years though.

Maybe it’s shady or you have time to water it all the time. I have a massive garden and seedlings don’t stand a chance in this strong sunlight and heat.
Fuchsias - Heather - also Bulbs for spring interest.
cmdr_elito28 m ago

Maybe it’s shady or you have time to water it all the time. I have a m …Maybe it’s shady or you have time to water it all the time. I have a massive garden and seedlings don’t stand a chance in this strong sunlight and heat.

I wouldn't attempt seedlings at this time of year. Not a chance. My sister has just had a new lawn sewn. Greening up nicely but needs the sprinkler on for an hour and a half a day. You don't have water rates in Scotland. I'd be bankrupt if I had to do that.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 9 m ago

I wouldn't attempt seedlings at this time of year. Not a chance. My sister …I wouldn't attempt seedlings at this time of year. Not a chance. My sister has just had a new lawn sewn. Greening up nicely but needs the sprinkler on for an hour and a half a day. You don't have water rates in Scotland. I'd be bankrupt if I had to do that.

Me too! Am in the southwest, most expensive water rates in the UK!
cmdr_elito7 m ago

Me too! Am in the southwest, most expensive water rates in the UK!

I use grey water for the garden wherever possible. Tonight I will have as many containers out collecting rainwater as I can. Thunderstorms forecast
psychobitchfromhell8 h, 30 m ago

[Image] petunias always look good[Image] as do herbs

Would add purple sage to that not sure how it would do in a pot but is fairly instructable

34503595-32PmS.jpg
Wongy11010 m ago

Would add purple sage to that not sure how it would do in a pot but is …Would add purple sage to that not sure how it would do in a pot but is fairly instructable [Image]

I can't grow sage. Dunno why. Have tried umpteen times
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

I can't grow sage. Dunno why. Have tried umpteen times

I just grew some from seed put one in a hole in the lawn and pufft huge sage
seems like an easy way to rid myself of the horrible lawn
but the two new plants don't seem to be doing that well putting it down to the weather
Wongy1108 m ago

I just grew some from seed put one in a hole in the lawn and pufft huge …I just grew some from seed put one in a hole in the lawn and pufft huge sage seems like an easy way to rid myself of the horrible lawnbut the two new plants don't seem to be doing that well putting it down to the weather

I've tried it on pots and in the ground and it always fails. My sister has it growing like weeds
psychobitchfromhell7 h, 52 m ago

I've tried it on pots and in the ground and it always fails. My sister …I've tried it on pots and in the ground and it always fails. My sister has it growing like weeds

It maybe you have some kind of pest nearby that likes it, something your sis doesn’t have nearby. Trees and bushes commonly harbour pests as well as ponds. Similar issue in my garden some things grow well and others get massacred by insects. I have however found other places and ways to grow some of those successfully. Giant vegetable trough with plastic lid and small vents in the roof over other side of garden.
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 41 m ago

I use grey water for the garden wherever possible. Tonight I will have as …I use grey water for the garden wherever possible. Tonight I will have as many containers out collecting rainwater as I can. Thunderstorms forecast

I have water butts but with the lack of rain this year I’m having to use tap water
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants