Found 21st Aug 2009
Firstly, I have just taken on my first allotment so I need to buy some reasonable garden tools at the right price, checked all the big stores but wanted to know if you guys have seen any deals around..
Secondly, a proper gardeners question, what can I plant now? I guess cabbages but what else?

1. Misc
  2. Garden
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Garden
9 Comments

Tesco's have recently been selling stainless steel garden tools with 70% off. You could grow new potatoes, carrots, runner beans, tomatoes and quite a lot of other stuff.

Banned

congrats, we got our allotement earlier this year, its been great fun but have grown very little ! i have no idea what you can plant all i can say is they are great fun and every one assures me it gets easier each year !! our scare crow and sunflowers have done well though and its been great fun for my little boy, he loves just to dig and make a mess, lol

x

Original Poster

Lisa-Marie A;6080591

congrats, we got our allotement earlier this year, its been great fun but … congrats, we got our allotement earlier this year, its been great fun but have grown very little ! i have no idea what you can plant all i can say is they are great fun and every one assures me it gets easier each year !! our scare crow and sunflowers have done well though and its been great fun for my little boy, he loves just to dig and make a mess, lolx

I have a couple of grandkids who are insisting I buy a wheelbarrow so that they can work on the allotment!
We grow a bit of veg in our small garden but with the size of this we need to start thinking bigger.

I guess anything we plant now will be cropping in the winter and I was unsure what that would be..:thumbsup:

You are limited to what you can grow at the moment, but take a look at this site gardenaction.co.uk/fru…asp lost of advice and a great calendar to give you ideas of when to plant

Original Poster

bitseylango;6080714

You are limited to what you can grow at the moment, but take a look at … You are limited to what you can grow at the moment, but take a look at this site http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_index.asp lost of advice and a great calendar to give you ideas of when to plant

Thanks for that, I have bookmarked that one, it looks like it may take some time to clear it as it is new ground. I guess it will need some manure dug in for next year? :thumbsup:

mosskeeto;6081069

Thanks for that, I have bookmarked that one, it looks like it may take … Thanks for that, I have bookmarked that one, it looks like it may take some time to clear it as it is new ground. I guess it will need some manure dug in for next year? :thumbsup:

yes plenty of the smelly stuff! Your best bet would be to spend the next few months preparing the ground, making the beds and doing a plan of what you are going to plant. My parents have an allotment and its already full of veg that will be ready late autumn. Chicken Manure pellets are really good too, a large bucket full can be bought at most B&Q.s

Good luck with it and keep us updated :thumbsup:

my advice would be to grow the things you like to eat! in my first year at my 'lotty i just grew taties. these are a good thing to start with as the process of digging them up at the end is a great way to break up the soil for whatever you want to plant next time. also, i'd advise getting a shed sorted if you haven't already! they're essential for sheltering from the rain/skiving etc.!
good luck!:)

Original Poster

EADG123;6084977

my advice would be to grow the things you like to eat! in my first year … my advice would be to grow the things you like to eat! in my first year at my 'lotty i just grew taties. these are a good thing to start with as the process of digging them up at the end is a great way to break up the soil for whatever you want to plant next time. also, i'd advise getting a shed sorted if you haven't already! they're essential for sheltering from the rain/skiving etc.!good luck!:)

cheers for that, I noticed today when I had a look round at the other allotments they had potatoes just breaking through? I asked one of the guys and he told me they were Xmas potatoes but I can find them anywhere.....:thumbsup:

i think by 'christmas potatoes' he means 'potatoes that'll be ready around christmas time'. Though i think there are certain varieties that are better at resisting the cold etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October55
    2. Any PS4 News Here29313888
    3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2684
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247592

See more discussions