Groups

Garmin Fenix 5

Just seen its due for release in march for $599. so will probably be £599 in the Uk.
    Not sure if its worth upgrading from the 3 but it does mean that the 3's will be coming down in price for those that are still waiting for a price drop.

Link to DC rainmaker review: dcrainmaker.com/201…tml

14 Comments

Seems like a good watch shame no microphone

Thanks for posting.
    I'll stick with my 3.
    The mapping feature I can live without and just use a phone.
    It's easy to create courses (with turn by turn instructions) from the Garmin Connect site and download them to the watch if needed.

I hope this device doesn't suffer a similar fate, to another device which skipped a number when updating recently.
    (Samsung Note 5 to Note 7)

Starting price looks to be £499 very interested in this sounds a great watch also can be used for golf

bobjack83

Starting price looks to be £499 very interested in this sounds a great … Starting price looks to be £499 very interested in this sounds a great watch also can be used for golf

You can use the Fenix 3 for golf too.
    I've not tried it. But, you can download lots of golf courses to the watch.

Original Poster

bobjack83

Starting price looks to be £499 very interested in this sounds a great … Starting price looks to be £499 very interested in this sounds a great watch also can be used for golf

Got one today for £400 . I wasnt going to bother as I have the Sapphire 3HR but couldnt resist at that price to give it a go as I wouldnt lose anything reselling it but I think its only going to be worth upgrading to the 5X which is way too expensive at the moment.

Original Poster

Shatwell

Thanks for posting.I'll stick with my 3.The mapping feature I can live … Thanks for posting.I'll stick with my 3.The mapping feature I can live without and just use a phone.It's easy to create courses (with turn by turn instructions) from the Garmin Connect site and download them to the watch if needed.I hope this device doesn't suffer a similar fate, to another device which skipped a number when updating recently.(Samsung Note 5 to Note 7)

Apparently Garmin skipped straight to 5 from 3 because Fenix4 means something like failure in Chinese.
    It looks like its only the 5X that has the mapping which is disapointing .

rhinopaul

Got one today for £400 . I wasnt going to bother as I have the Sapphire … Got one today for £400 . I wasnt going to bother as I have the Sapphire 3HR but couldnt resist at that price to give it a go as I wouldnt lose anything reselling it but I think its only going to be worth upgrading to the 5X which is way too expensive at the moment.

​Where did you get one for 400?

Original Poster

Amazon France had it reduced until this morning and for some reason they reduced it further so I actually ended up paying about £387 using Amazon own converter.

I've always liked the look of the Fenix but it's just way too big for my wrist so I like the look of the Fenix 5s although it's not cheap and it looks noticeably bigger and heavier than my Vivoactive.

John

Is the £400 offer still on do you have a link

Original Poster

bobjack83

Is the £400 offer still on do you have a link

No, it finished this morning.I dont know why it was reduced like that either, it was only the 47mm silver with granite blue strap and the 42mm white versions.
    [img]scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t…jpg?oh=a8d98dcefd8fd7e2136ed4b2352804e2&oe=5999C100[/img]
    Edited by: "rhinopaul" 3rd Apr

Great deal hope you enjoy so much want to buy but I'm injured and can't merit buying a running watch when I'm limping about !!

Original Poster

bobjack83

Great deal hope you enjoy so much want to buy but I'm injured and can't … Great deal hope you enjoy so much want to buy but I'm injured and can't merit buying a running watch when I'm limping about !!

Thanks. Yeah not much good buying it until you recover but to be honest I really think its only worth upgrading from a 3HR to a 5X. There really doesnt seem to be much between the 5 plus its not sapphire like my 3HR and lacks the wifi so I will be comparing the 2 but I have a feeling I will be keeping the 3HR until the 5X comes on Amazon at a good price.
    Hope you recover soon.

Original Poster

Received the Fenix 5 today.
    I need to play with the 5 more to get a real comparison but so far It has a slightly better user interface and better screen clarity. The strap however feels very cheap.
    It is a bit smaller than my 3HR but I prefer the bulkier 3HR for size.

I paid £387 for this Fenix 5 and only £290 for my 3HR Sapphire. So far I think I will stick with my 3HR until I can see the 5X.

I think if you are debating between the two then the Fenix 3 for money is a better choice. I was lucky to get the 5 for the price I did but they are pretty much £500 at the mo compared to a Fenix 3 for under £300.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. No claims discount proof - Help needed88
      2. Keter 6x4 shed.44
      3. Are the free antivirus any good?66
      4. Currys Return33

See more discussions