Gas BBQ Help

Found 16th MayEdited by:"madmurd"
Hi, Ive been pondering over getting my first BBQ but not sure what to get.
Searched goggle and anything decent is expensive and as a novice i dont fancy selling a kidney for one.

Have pondered on the Weber Master Touch for a while which im under impression is a decent one and reduced but it's a charcoal one.

Anyone know of anything out there gas wise what's decent and reasonably priced. Must have the thermometer in the lid, a good area of cooking space and flame tamers/lava rocks from what I've read. I can also add some wood chippings for a little smoke. Seen Nexgrill at Asda from US apparently. Also seen a duel fuel one which sounds cool and a tru infra red one

Seen a few via Argos, Asda George and B&Q website but not sure on quality

Any help would be appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Is a gas ‘BBQ’ just an outside grill?

just get a bog standard gas one no point in paying too much the weather is usually rough anyway. One with a lid and a few burners on it will do my dad had an asda one for years with no issue

personally I prefer a proper solid fuel fired BBQ otherwise it’s just posh grilling outside.
Dannyrobbo7 m ago

Is a gas ‘BBQ’ just an outside grill? just get a bog standard gas on …Is a gas ‘BBQ’ just an outside grill? just get a bog standard gas one no point in paying too much the weather is usually rough anyway. One with a lid and a few burners on it will do my dad had an asda one for years with no issuepersonally I prefer a proper solid fuel fired BBQ otherwise it’s just posh grilling outside.

I was waiting for the charcoal gods to say that.
Part of me fancies a charcoal grill but just think gas would be easier and practical
Charcoal all the way.
I had a gas one from Asda it was solid enough and lasted. I think its down to personal choice in the end but i much prefer charcoal
toddyj99873 m ago

Charcoal all the way. I had a gas one from Asda it was solid enough and …Charcoal all the way. I had a gas one from Asda it was solid enough and lasted. I think its down to personal choice in the end but i much prefer charcoal

Do you manage to control the temperature ok and does it take ages to get the coals hot
madmurd16th May

Do you manage to control the temperature ok and does it take ages to get …Do you manage to control the temperature ok and does it take ages to get the coals hot

About 10-15 mins for the coals I just spread them thinly on one half so it’s cooler.

its just down to your preference really, gas is easier but so is doing them in a pan on the hob.
Think I’ll stick with gas less messing about, better for my needs and not much difference taste wise these days
Edited by: "madmurd" 16th May
madmurd16th May

Think I’ll stick with gas less messing about, better for my needs and not m …Think I’ll stick with gas less messing about, better for my needs and not much difference taste wise these days

totally different taste between gas and solid fuel like chalk and cheese
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 16th May
madmurd16th May

Do you manage to control the temperature ok and does it take ages to get …Do you manage to control the temperature ok and does it take ages to get the coals hot

For coals get one of those BBQ briquettes starter jugs
For the temp control make sure you have a BBQ that can lower the coal tray (with a spinning handle)
Gas was great when I was getting a new kitchen fitted, very convenient but it imparted little or no flavour, so when the kitchen was completed I bought a charcoal Weber instead. Which so far hasn't come out of its box, so far just used a couple of disposable BBQs this year.
mattsk16 m ago

For coals get one of those BBQ briquettes starter jugs For the temp …For coals get one of those BBQ briquettes starter jugs For the temp control make sure you have a BBQ that can lower the coal tray (with a spinning handle)

Not sure if it can be done on the Weber master touch. Seen a few cheaper makes in some stores which can higher and lower
If you fancy trying charcoal for starting off I'd get one of these

33809369.jpgAnd this ( charcoal holder)

33809369.jpgAnd

33809369.jpg

If you get the hang if it you could upgrade to a weber .

Plenty of videos on YouTube for the holders placement.
Edited by: "Darzen" 16th May
Dannyrobbo4 h, 23 m ago

Is a gas ‘BBQ’ just an outside grill? just get a bog standard gas on …Is a gas ‘BBQ’ just an outside grill? just get a bog standard gas one no point in paying too much the weather is usually rough anyway. One with a lid and a few burners on it will do my dad had an asda one for years with no issuepersonally I prefer a proper solid fuel fired BBQ otherwise it’s just posh grilling outside.

It’s much better with lava rock, I’ve had both one with and one without, the lava rock turns all the fat into smoke and that gives it a slightly charcoal taste.

OP: With gas you will also need to factor in the cost of the one off deposit for gas bottle and a full of gas.

Outback BBQ’s are pretty good, expensive but they last and have everything you asked for. Cheaper ones are unlikely to last, for ultimate long life put the BBQ in the shed over the winter, for long life get a cover and leave it outside and for short life leave it uncovered.
Darzen1 h, 31 m ago

If you fancy trying charcoal for starting off I'd get one of these[Image] …If you fancy trying charcoal for starting off I'd get one of these[Image] And this ( charcoal holder)[Image] And[Image] If you get the hang if it you could upgrade to a weber .Plenty of videos on YouTube for the holders placement.

Landmann charcoal BBQ’s are fine but avoid the gas ones, I had one and the viewing window exploded whilst cooking normally with the lid open!
cmdr_elito1 h, 34 m ago

It’s much better with lava rock, I’ve had both one with and one without, th …It’s much better with lava rock, I’ve had both one with and one without, the lava rock turns all the fat into smoke and that gives it a slightly charcoal taste.OP: With gas you will also need to factor in the cost of the one off deposit for gas bottle and a full of gas. Outback BBQ’s are pretty good, expensive but they last and have everything you asked for. Cheaper ones are unlikely to last, for ultimate long life put the BBQ in the shed over the winter, for long life get a cover and leave it outside and for short life leave it uncovered.

Thanks for that, yes done some reading via google and plenty say gas bbq’s are fine and not much difference in taste. They was even a charcoal fanatic what Now says he’s been converted to gas. Yeh been looking at the outback ones with lava rocks. Fancy the 3 burner version for that extra cooking area but as you mention there not cheap especially compared to some basic gas models and charcoal fuel products.
As for gas costs that’s not a worry for me as I can get it for basically free.
I’ll try and have a hunt around for one as was hoping to give it a go this weekend.
Cheers
Edited by: "madmurd" 16th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants