Groups

Gas Electricity

Which gas electricity supplier is the cheaper? I want to change the supplier as British Gas draining my prepay credit £5 a day. Which is very expensive for once in a week cooking for 2 bedroom house of me and my wife only. We use 4/5 hours heating a day. There is no debt as well. Please help with suggestions

19 Comments

You will always pay more with a pre-paid meter.....ask for a normal meter to be fitted, free of charge and then can fix your tariff

If you are stuck with a prepay system ovo are likely the cheapest.

As the previous said, you always pay a premium for pre-pay.
    Tell them that they have a duty to put you on the lowest tariff and as you have no debt, always paid your bills on time etc etc that means that you should have a regular meter fitted.

Original Poster

alyharry

You will always pay more with a pre-paid meter.....ask for a normal meter … You will always pay more with a pre-paid meter.....ask for a normal meter to be fitted, free of charge and then can fix your tariff

Forgot to mention, its a rented house

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

If you are stuck with a prepay system ovo are likely the cheapest.

Will check it. Thanks

Original Poster

scottswaha

As the previous said, you always pay a premium for pre-pay. Tell them … As the previous said, you always pay a premium for pre-pay. Tell them that they have a duty to put you on the lowest tariff and as you have no debt, always paid your bills on time etc etc that means that you should have a regular meter fitted.

I will call them today daytime. Lets see

shaon89ahmed

Ask your landlord that you want to change it to credit meter. Then ask British Gas to change the meter.

shaon89ahmed

​You will need your landlord's permission to change the meter, also check that the previous tenant hasn't left a debt on the account and that you are now paying it off, it can and does happen.

Prepay is not more than credit, check the unit rates, theyre standard. Only benefit from being on credit would be to pay by DD which then offers a discount. Also going from prepay to credit is free however it does require a credit check which is very strict.

Strictly speaking you can change your energy supplier even if your landlord disagrees with you.
    Also, you can change from a prepayment meter to a different type without your landlords permission.
    There are a few snags though.
    These are facts - not opinions like some others in the answers to this question.
    Check out this web page from Citizens Advice who you can trust.
    Edited by: "tardytortoise" 21st Oct 2016

Check out octopus energy. 20% cheaper than ovo for me

tardytortoise

Strictly speaking you can change your energy supplier even if your … Strictly speaking you can change your energy supplier even if your landlord disagrees with you.Also, you can change from a prepayment meter to a different type without your landlords permission.There are a few snags though.These are facts - not opinions like some others in the answers to this question.Check out this web page from Citizens Advice who you can trust.

This is true BUT check tenancy agreement as it can be in that you have to get permission from landlord before doing anything like this.

chocci

Check out octopus energy. 20% cheaper than ovo for me

how are they for customer service? been with OVO for 2 years now and CS is top notch.

ANDYwwww987

This is true BUT check tenancy agreement as it can be in that you have to … This is true BUT check tenancy agreement as it can be in that you have to get permission from landlord before doing anything like this.

which is what the link provided says

I'M with Avro, no competitor can beat them at the minfor me (I've checked them at because I'm abit of a geek). Ask your supplier (current) to change your meters and then once done change supplier. Simples

EN1GMA

how are they for customer service? been with OVO for 2 years now and CS … how are they for customer service? been with OVO for 2 years now and CS is top notch.

Been perfect so far. Switch was painless and only took 3 weeks

£15 amazon voucher too.

10.7p electric, 2.2p gas, 20p per day standing charge

chocci

Been perfect so far. Switch was painless and only took 3 weeks £15 amazon … Been perfect so far. Switch was painless and only took 3 weeks £15 amazon voucher too. 10.7p electric, 2.2p gas, 20p per day standing charge

Do they fit smart meters? I'll have to look into octopus energy. Thanks chocs

Original Poster

Thanks guys it has all sorted out. British gas going to refund me and an engineer will be here to reset the meter. They are saying there is kind of problem with the meter

avro for electric and daligas for gas make sure you check there standing charge a day ovo is 29.8 p a day daligas for me is 9.5p and always check the unit price even on comparison sites it's worth while looking and writing the prices down as some companies like to gave you then put there prices up also get cash back on quidco or topcashback go for a normal meter some companies will let you pay direct debit every week which makes it not so bad worth doing your homework ring them up as about weekly direct debit good luck
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Hi Wonder if anyone can help...I urgently need to buy a laptop today , up t…57
      2. Quad-core laptop under £470?21
      3. Fitbit HR310
      4. What engine oil do i need for a 2007 Skoda Fabia (Mark 1) 1.9 turbo diesel …67

See more discussions